HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Going back to Cali.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Going back to Cali.....   Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:13 am

Looking for some input from the So Cal folks on here. I will be in Los Angeles from the 1st to the 10th of April. I plan on hitting the original Tinder Box on Wilshire, and was hoping I could get some "not to miss" local shops in the greater LA area to visit. Only shops I am familiar with are the old, now gone, Tinder Box in the Cerritos mall, and a small mom & pop shop on Florence in Downey.

Also plan on attending the 50th anniversary of the So Cal Ren Faire Very Happy

Thanks in advance!

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Going back to Cali.....   Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 am

I don't know anywhere, but if you want to come to long beach for a bowl and a coffee or beer...

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Going back to Cali.....   Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 am

I've never been there, but I would suggest Kramer's in Beverly Hills. It's an old place where various "stars" have shopped over the years, if that piques your interest. I don't know exactly what's there for a pipester, but their tobacco is great stuff.

http://www.kramerstobaccoshop.com/

Last edited by Richard Burley on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Going back to Cali.....   Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 am

Richard Burley wrote:
http://www.kramerstobaccoshop.com/

Fixed.

Edit: Edited reflecting original fixing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Going back to Cali.....   Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 am

Fatman:

I used to visit the Tinder Box at Cerritos Mall when I lived in North Long Beach. I haven't been over in that neck of the woods in many years, but I'm not surprised that the store is gone. The Tinder Box at our local mall here disappeared some years ago. The classic brick and mortar pipe shop is an endangered species here in SoCal, where the anti-tobacco environment has become increasingly hostile.

As for The Original Tinder Box in Santa Monica, it's still run by Ed Kolpin's family. (Ed died at age 97 in April, 2007.) As you know if you've been there before, the place was always as much a museum as a pipe shop. I have many pipes I bought there over the years, when Ed was still alive and kicking. I haven't been there since Ed passed away, so I can't tell you whether it still retains its former glory, but I do know that it's still operating.

The shop on Florence Ave. in Downey used to be called "Ted's Smoke Shop". I don't know whether it even exists any more. When I was a customer there (in the late 1970s), it was owned by Jim ("Ted") and Norma Allison. They eventually sold the shop to someone else and bought The Tobacco Barn on El Toro Road in Lake Forest CA. They've since sold that business and retired, and the new owners have greatly expanded the store and installed a smokers lounge. You can still do such a thing in Orange County. It's a bit of a drive from the Ren Faire location, but probably worth the trip.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Going back to Cali.....   Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:09 pm

the rev wrote:
I don't know anywhere, but if you want to come to long beach for a bowl and a coffee or beer...

rev

Sounds like a plan!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Going back to Cali.....   Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Vito, Thanks for helping me remember the name of Ted's smoke shop! Sounds like we had similar stomping grounds. I grew up in Cudahy/Bell Gardens. I actually worked part time at the Cerritos Tinder Box in the late 80s. I will do my best to make it to the Tobacco Barn! I will be in So Cal for 10 days, and am basically on vacation so the driving is not an issue, erll besides the traffic Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Going back to Cali.....   Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Fair Oaks Cigars and Spirits in Pasadena carries mostly, well, cigars and high end Scotch, but they also have a few trays of pipes, and some tins. The usual douchy cigar dudes hang out there, talking about condos and Porsches, but if you're in the Pasadena area, you might stop by. Gus's BBQ, est. 1946, is right next door.
http://www.gussbbq.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Going back to Cali.....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: