HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

RE: pipe rotation

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ED_X

Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:30 am

Is there a general rule of thumb about how long a pipe should rest between smoking? Generally is 24 hours enough?

Thanks,
Ed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:20 pm

[quote="ED_X"]Is there a general rule of thumb about how long a pipe should rest between smoking? Generally is 24 hours enough?[/quote]

Seems like it would be, because the pipe would dry out in that time. I tend to smoke a pipe until it becomes nasty, then clean and rest it for a month or so. The Technique Police would say that I'm screwing myself out of maximum enjoyment, but that's my usual M.O. for most endeavors, so why should pipe smoking be an exception?

For the record, there's a very knowledgeable guy on YouTube who claims you barely need to rest a pipe at all, as long as you use cleaners throughout the smoke. Eric something. Too lazy to look it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 pm

A few things can factor in, of course, and you'll get many different answers on this one. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

I generally try to allow at least 24-hours for a Briar, but Cobs and Meerschaum pipes are much more porous, and therefore don't usually require as much drying time. Keep in mind that Humidity can greatly affect the drying time too, as can the blend being smoked. A pipe that contained a bowl of a good/dry VA will take much less time to dry out than a pipe that contained a goopy aromatic, for example.

There are some that will use one pipe all day, switching to another pipe the next day. I've done this also in the past and it works out fine too.

Really it's hard to give any 100% answer to this one, but the above is what I do and has worked well for me over the years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Ha! Found it without much effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRRpkqmsxE4
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Everyone has a system that works for them. I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of tobacco you smoke, how you smoke it, and how meticulous you are about cleaning your pipes.

Tobaccos that are dry and clean burning, smoked by patient slow smokers, will produce the least amount of moisture and residue build up. Moisture and residue sitting in the pipe will mean it takes a lot longer for the pipe to dry and for the pores of the wood to dry out, and for the off tasting, foul smelling after effects to dissipate. If you keep your pipe bowl reamed down to a low level, the shank regularly cleaned and free of build up, and are vigilant in using pipe cleaners to pick up moisture during and after use, then your pipe should dry fairly quickly and be smokeable sooner than a casually cared for pipe.

Beyond that, it depends on the individual pipe, the climate you live in (dry desert, humid south?), and who knows what else. I have pipes I can smoke every other day and pipes I need to rest at least three or four days.

Even with good pipe hygiene practice and a good idea of the issues at hand, pipes are individuals.

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Everything said above.

The biggest factor, allowing for the tobacco, is how wet you smoke factored by how wet the pipe smokes.

With the same fairly careful cleaning, every second or third day is a sustainable proposition, in my experience. Every day isn't, because it never gets to dry out completely. What you end up with then is the sports injury syndrome where a guy comes back to 90% from something, re-injures it, & repeats that with it getting worse each time.

By the same token, you can smoke the same pipe twice, back-to-back with no negative consequence. The second time will taste different, but not worse or bad.

I did a test of the every day possibility with a couple favorites one summer. Even pulled the stems for better drying and left them in front of a fan to combat the humidity. The deterioration was incremental by day four and irreversible other than simply letting them rest long enough that they not only felt and smelled dry inside, but were dry.

FWIW

What a Face
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:55 pm

My Peterson Irish Made Army smoked the absolute best after I smoked the crap out of it one day. On the 3rd bowl in one day it was just sublime.

Each pipe is going to perform in a different way, some will need rest and some will be great smoked multiple times a day. I personally give each pipe a proper work up and try different lengths of time for resting in between smokes. Immediately, a couple hours, 12 hours or so, etc.

The dance you have with each pipe will be different, some want to cha-cha while others want to waltz, it's up to you to find out how you need to dance with each for a memorable experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:03 pm

What these guys said.

In dry-as-a-nun's-habit Nevada, I can go 12 hours most days for a pipe to dry, as a minimum, and when I stopped having a beverage with my smokes (making my shanks moist by funneling in said beverage), it's even more assured.

Then there's a couple pipes that seem to like having a little moisture in the walls, they like a little rough use.

Cobs, though, I usually allow 48 hours in-between smokes. They tend to be sponges, and get swampy if not let to dry--plus, I worry about the walls as I manage the cake with a pipe nail each time. Fortunately, I believe my cobs will last as long as my briars at this rate.

Let the pipe tell you what's up, they're honest little things when ailing, and best friends when you figure each one out. Or, nemeses if one happens not to mesh with ya.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:40 pm

I've been smoking long enough now to have aquired right at 90 pipes now, mostly briar, which allows me to smoke a different pipe each time I lite up a bowl. I rarely if ever smoke the same pipe twice in a day and most of my pipes will get a day or two at the least btwn smokes in a monthly rotation. As has been mentioned, WHAT you smoke as well as HOW you smoke it and WHERE you smoke can effect the "drying time" for each pipe. I would say 24 hours would be a good minimum given all of the above. But don't worry, the "drying time" aspect can be used as a primary REASON to get MORE pipes cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:45 pm

monbla256 wrote:
But don't worry, the "drying time" aspect can be used as a primary REASON to get MORE pipes cheers

Yes. We call that "PAD" and "drying time" certainly is an "excuse." Laughing Very practical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ED_X

Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks for all the great advice, RE pipe rotation. I figured that there are many variables associated with how long to let a pipe dry between smoking. But you have all given me lots to think about and some to put into action.

Thanks again,
Ed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Hope you find a drying/rotation routine that works for ya, Ed. It's worth it.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:22 pm

You'll work it out, Ed, and find a system that works for you. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:54 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I've been smoking long enough now to have aquired right at 90 pipes now, mostly briar, which allows me to smoke a different pipe each time I lite up a bowl. I rarely if ever smoke the same pipe twice in a day and most of my pipes will get a day or two at the least btwn smokes in a monthly rotation. As has been mentioned, WHAT you smoke as well as HOW you smoke it and WHERE you smoke can effect the "drying time" for each pipe. I would say 24 hours would be a good minimum given all of the above. But don't worry, the "drying time" aspect can be used as a primary REASON to get MORE pipes cheers

Yes, yes, yes...more pipes, more pipes.
I used to think my meager 35 pipes was too many. Then I noticed that the longer a pipe rested the better the smoke. When I say "longer" I mean in terms of weeks, or more, not hours and this after rigorous cleaning.
Then I retired and went from 2-3 bowls a day to 6 or more. Now 35 is not enough with two loads per pipe before cleaning and resting them.

And so the gasoline budget formerly planned now goes to pipes and cellar building....with spousal; approval, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Please elaborate on this, "spousal approval" thing you speak of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26 am

tech2576 wrote:
Please elaborate on this, "spousal approval" thing you speak of.
chuckle...
I am blessed with a compassionate non-smoker wife who delights that I smoke a pipe rather than cigarettes which I did for a long time (along with my pipes and cigars) until about ten years ago.
She is aware of the dangers we face from the PC crowd and believes in stashing vital supplies; and she recognizes my pipe tobacco is vital. Hence, the $120-$140 bucks per month I used to spend for commuting gasoline is approved for TAD use.
As to smoking indoors at home, even if I would, that will remain a no-go, eternally taboo, activity no matter how much sweet talk I might attempt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:44 pm

So where do you smoke all these pipes then ? scratch

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Aristokles

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:08 am

Yak wrote:

What a Face

Back deck, sunporch, three local taverns (a fourth is available, but not my style), my Jeep, walking dogs (until I lost both last summer).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:32 am

I have 6 to 8 pipes out at any given time and rotate between them. As they start to go, I get a fresh one out and throw it on the pile. The dirty one gets a good cleaning and goes back on the rack.

I'm fairly meticulous about cleaning them between smokes so they can go for a while before a rest. It varies from pipe to pipe. I have one little size 2 Dunhill that I can smoke once a day for weeks and it performs like a champ. I also have a couple that get cranky after two bowls and need a nap. It just depends.

I think the trick is to scrape the dottle and chunks out of the bowl after every smoke, and make sure to run a cleaner through it. Also, DGTing tends to sour a pipe quicker than finishing a bowl in one sitting.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Smoking pipes in the great outdoors? With fresh air to fuel the leaf? Watching nature in its many forms pass about? Good scenery and sometimes staying away from the plethora of problems people produce? Good heavens, no! The benefits of living in beautiful, reasonably temperate (but seasonal) Nevada, I suppose. If outdoor smoking is a sentence, my "cell" is pretty cush. Wink

The Order of Chosen Outdoor Smoking (TOCOS) approves your membership.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Aristokles wrote:
Yak wrote:

What a Face

Back deck, sunporch, three local taverns (a fourth is available, but not my style), my Jeep, walking dogs (until I lost both last summer).

Neighborhood taverns. One of Pittsburgh finest resources, and seldom fully appreciated until one has left them and sees the dreadful singles hangouts and faux sports bars that suffice in other, less blessed areas.

>>I think the trick is to scrape the dottle and chunks out of the bowl after every smoke, and make sure to run a cleaner through it.<<

Yep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:53 pm

More power to you guys who can smoke pipes outside.

I can only manage that when there's no breeze. Which, up here in the mountains, isn't all that often.

Fortunately, Mrs. Yak had a proper upbringing, & consequently associates pipe & cigar smoke with happy recollections of the Grampaws & Uncles who doted on her.

Easy shoes to fill -- and comfortable ones. Cool

What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:32 am

Quote :
I used to think my meager 35 pipes was too many. Then I noticed that the longer a pipe rested the better the smoke. When I say "longer" I mean in terms of weeks, or more, not hours and this after rigorous cleaning.

Then I retired and went from 2-3 bowls a day to 6 or more. Now 35 is not enough with two loads per pipe before cleaning and resting them.

Yes. This too. I've always been struck by the way a long-rested pipe just shines on its first outing.

With the regularly used ones, I'd slipped into a cavalier attitude toward the cleaning drill. I kept the interior of the bowl carefully dressed after each time out of the rack, but figured a clean cleaner sufficed for the interior of the shank -- out of sight, out of mind.

What this was forgetting is that the airways are wider than the cleaners are. The cleaners were going in & coming back out without ever making contact with the gunk that had been accumulating in there for Lord knows how long. And although the bowls, given a week's rest between times didn't, the shanks positively stunk.

Neither the Castello nor the Caminetto had tasted bad, at all. Even with the Union Square they're dedicated to (a pretty mild, subtle tobacco), they'd tasted great. But pulling the stems for a thorough cleaning afterward revealed there was enough gunk in there that it each took a lot of time to remove. First, by scraping with the square end of a cheap pair of tweezers, and then with doubled-over pipe cleaners.

Even after one round with Irish whiskey-dampened (not soaked) cleaners to hopefully kill the mildew spores and overnight rests with their stems out, they still stink.

(Cue Twilight Zone theme), and most of it seems to be from the lucite stems. It has a plastic-y odor, familiar from similarly lucite-stemmed ones in years past.

Re-booting some assumptions here.

What a Face
OLD DOG, NEW TRICK

Last edited by Yak on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Yak wrote:
Even after one round with Irish whiskey-dampened (not soaked) cleaners to hopefully kill the mildew spores and overnight rests with their stems out, they still stink.

(Cue Twilight Zone theme), and most of it seems to be from the lucite stems. It has a plastic-y odor, familiar from similarly lucite-stemmed ones in years past.

Re-booting some assumptions here.
I've always been curious about degradation of Lucite stems... When Vulcanite goes south, you know it by looks/smell/taste.

Did a little sleuthing and learned there is a shocking amount of research on, yep, the degradation of Lucite (PMMA). Makes sense, especially since tons of safety equipment, e.g. Plexiglas, is a variety of PMMA. You probably want to know how long before the windows of your shark tank, aircraft, safety goggles, et. are going to start to go south.

My favorite was this hoary old DoD research project:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA304535

Plain-English takeaway? Light, heat, and especially UV rays will degrade Lucite eventually, extreme heat being the fastest way to perdition, followed by UV exposure... both things a pipe stem might encounter especially if it's not kept somewhere shady.

So... smoke 'em cool and keep 'em in the dark is good advice for all stems, not just rubber--it will delay and minimize degradation. But eventually, you might get that "Krazy Glue" smell, and that's the acrylic going funky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: RE: pipe rotation   Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:57 pm

What this was forgetting is that the airways are wider than the cleaners are.

I find thee apt. Wink

Couple other remedies. Take your too-narrow pipe cleaner and put a kink in it -- i.e., a bend of a few degrees 3/4" from the pipe bowl end. Spin the cleaner in use to get more action on the sides of the airway. (caveat: this is only effective on pipes that wll pass a cleaner) The paint supply section of your hardware store may have an inexpensive gizmo for cleaning paint guns. It looks like bristle pipe cleaners of various gauges on a ring. Perfect for pipe shanks. Also, you can buy a shank brush from your pipe supply shoppe of choice.

I agree that well maintainedpipes return the effort. It's kind of like the phenomena of freshly waxed cars seeming to run better.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

RE: pipe rotation
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next