HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 pm

How many of you wonderful folks on here work in the IS, IT, or other tech fields? I like to think that there's a few of us on here, to make me feel a little better at least. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:21 am

They're keepin' their heads down.
(Note to self: Hit up WarlockBob next time I have a Windows issue.) Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:23 am

Quote :
They're keepin' their heads down.
(Note to self: Hit up WarlockBob next time I have a Windows issue.)

I guess they are... It appears for good reason too! Razz

Sadly enough, I do know my way around Windows a little too well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:27 am

Not unless I have to... Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
petertschantz

Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 am

software developer here...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.petertschantz.com/
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 am

Networking. And 15 year Linux geek. sunny

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 am

DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11, along with X-Base and Clipper 5.01 Laughing

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Used to be, not any more. Concentrating more on GIS, digital cartography and figuring out ESRI/ArcGIS programs related to my line of current work. It's much more gratifying to be the idiot with the problems than the one solving them--except I own my own company, so the idiot and tech department is an all-in-one plight for me. Laughing *sigh*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11, along with X-Base and Clipper 5.01 Laughing

Wow! Clipper...haven't messed with that turkey in years along with Report Writer. Glad that era is over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Aristokles wrote:
Wow! Clipper...haven't messed with that turkey in years along with Report Writer. Glad that era is over.

I was going to add Novell Netware 286 and Aldus Pagemaker to the list, but I felt that would be pushing it a bit. Laughing

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:01 pm

So far, no one chiming in about programming punch cards or toggle switches... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Aristokles wrote:

I was going to add Novell Netware 286 and Aldus Pagemaker to the list, but I felt that would be pushing it a bit. Laughing

lol!

Memories...chuckle
Rather than admit a phase of digital madness in my past I will just say when I wish to boggle my mind now, to keep it sharp, you know, I study Attic Greek. Quaranteed hours of head-banging with no particular purpose in mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
So far, no one chiming in about programming punch cards or toggle switches... Laughing

You mean like what we used on my Sperry-Rand "mainframe" in the sixties? Who would admit to be THAT old?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:11 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

Haha. In first year of Computer Science, we actually had an old RPG-2 (or RPG-x, dont' remember exactly) machine that used those giant 8" Floppy Discs. It was replaced during the schoolyear with a Novell Network. (running 286 terminals and a 386 Server) Laughing

How about the old Sun SPARC workstations? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Haha. In first year of Computer Science, we actually had an old RPG-2 (or RPG-x, dont' remember exactly) machine that used those giant 8" Floppy Discs. It was replaced during the schoolyear with a Novell Network. (running 286 terminals and a 386 Server) Laughing

Like the SunSparc 20 I gave away two years ago? Begone...slug, single sync monitor was good boat ballast. .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:01 am

Haha! Wow! I'm a fan of hearing about all this. I'm really just starting out but right now I'm working in the WAN department of my company. Gotta love the Cisco IOS. Well, you don't have to but I certainly like their command line stuff a lot more than their GUI's.... Razz

My degree consists of programming though, and I've gotten to do some serious C#, java, and ASP.NET stuff with a little COBOL (company I work for manages banks). I'd like to get into some mobile app development or some real deep web development, or go into db development or a sysadmin role.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

I used a Sun SPARC workstation. About a year 2000 edition. No training at all. We used it to pass print jobs from the network to an Xerox DP-96 printer. They could have bought a network ready DP-96, but nooooo. Frankly, working with the SPARC was a lot like working with the TRS-80 Model I, II, and III's. Or the Commodore CP/M machines. Just faster.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:51 pm

We had a TRS 80 (something) set up with a bunch of games we made on it, usually to frustrate and make people laugh. Kind of like "20 questions" or something.

I'm so glad I'm de-geeked enough to not be viable as a tech anymore. Liberating. I love you I have a huge box full of old hi/lo CMOS chips someplace. I think the idea was to make a hippie bead curtain out of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 pm

I started IT in 1970, it was called data processing back then. a couple of IBM 1130's, a sorter, a collorator, a paper tape reader, 2 j35 teletypes and a room full of key punch operators. The collorators had a board that had to be wired based on how you wanted the two presorted decks of punch cards merged. The 8" (yes Cool diskette (floppy disk) were an invention from heaven. The progressed through an assortment of IBM mainframes 360/20,30,40,50.. DOS, VM, MVS, etc.. moved from operations to the tech services to help keep the DOS & VM systems running while the real technie's worked to install MVS. Switched jobs went directly in as system programmer support a new install of POS registers in 2600 retails store, NCP and VTAM on the mainframes. Switched jobs again sr sys programmer NCP, VTAM, CICS.. then servers, tcpip, switches, etc.. so, I moved to sr network engineer. configuring cisco routers, switches. then when the hosps started to go with wireless devices I became the sr wireless network engineer managing the surveying, installation and tuning of wireless for 8 hospitals, bunch of urgent care clinic and doctors offices. I reired 3 years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Carlos wrote:
Frankly, working with the SPARC was a lot like working with the TRS-80 Model I, II, and III's. Or the Commodore CP/M machines. Just faster.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Laughing

Actually years ago I upgraded from the C-64 to the C-128 so I had the 1571 DS/DD Floppy Drive (Woohoo cheers ) and CP/M compatibility. One thing that stood out was how similar the 128's BASIC language was to the PC's at the time - much closer and compatible than the C-64's BASIC Interpreter.

My Uncle brought me one of his 5.25" floppy disks with a game on it called 'Wizard's Castle'. It was a BASIC language scrolling text game. Using a C-128 program called 'Big Blue Reader' my C-128 and 1571 Drive could read/write in 360K IBM format. Out of that 20-something K basic program (a hell of a lot of lines), all I had to change was the 'CLS' to 'SCNCLR' commands to clear the screen - everything else worked flawlessly. Later transcribing that program to the C-64's BASIC language took a whole hell of a lot more work though... Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:09 pm

I've worked for: Compaq, HP, Xerox, BMC and CA, and now I'm in Digital Media...all in sales though, so only count me as half an IT professional...or less Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:50 pm

I programmed in Assembler 360 for 10 years. Guess that marks me an old fart. I had the damnedest time learning it. Imagine teaching someone about registers in two hours and then turning them loose in the lab writing a program that demanded register usage. It took me two years to understand a dsect. When I learned that "F" in the high-order nibble was needed to represent a positive number, I almost fainted. It took me two years of on-the-job exposure to be as good in Assembler as it had taken me six weeks in school in COBOL. But after two years on the job it was like programming in anything else. Sadly where I'm located, after the year 2000 frenzy the market for Assembler programming died. Only the banks and insurance companies kept their legacy code and demanded proficiency in their third-party software, which could only be learned working for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Still have the original IBM PC in the box it came in. Work for a cloud computing company now as a software engineer. Been writing code, managing folks, doing startups for 25 years.

Currently in favor Linux, Ruby, JRuby, Rails, OS/X
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm

I'm a network engineer for small to medium sized ISP in southern ohio, and the linux/unix server guy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://blog.roogles.com
Andy Lowry

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?   Fri May 31, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm the one-man IT department for a chain of gas stations, trying to figure out how to retire XP gracefully before it expires. Rolling Eyes I run Unix, Mac, Windows, and Linux, and write little utilities in C and Ruby. My favorite part of the job is building new computers; there's something about the smell of a motherboard the first time you take it out of the anti-static bag.

Edit to add: All the above talk about old hardware reminds me that I have a working TI-99/4A in the garage-- that's what I learned Basic on. Anybody wanna trade it for a PDP-8?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Technology-
Jump to: