HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? Empty
PostSubject: Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?   Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 3:52 pm

The only thing I've found I like it with is root beer (diet). I've read it's good with Benedictine liqueur too but I don't feel like dropping $35 for an herbal liqueur I've never tried.

I love liquorice so I like the flavor of absinthe. It's just a little much for a drinking session.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?   Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 3:39 am

I think it's it's just Ouzo, with a different label.
Liquid licqourice....
But then what do I know know?
I'm drunk on Scotch... drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?   Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 8:15 am

I actually remember liking Benedictine quite a bit at some point... just very herb-y I remember.

Of course, that was before I found Scotch. And Rhum Pecoul. Cool

Edit: I remember there being a drink in a bar I used to freguent that had absinthe in it... it was calle suicide, but goddamn I can't remember what went into it! Also, a Finnish rapper called Paleface mentions "absinthe-whisky on rocks" in a song that tells about stupid-drinking. Laughing Only the mention in the song makes shivers of disgust run through my spine every time. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?   Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 10:39 am

Absinthe and whiskey are not as horrible together as you might think--the great Sazerac cocktail is mostly rye, flavored with just a little bitters, absinthe, and sugar syrup.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/s/r/szrc_cktl.htm

But if I have real quality absinthe, I'm going to take it with a little cool water and nothing else. (I'll use a cheaper pastis if I'm mixing.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?   Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:52 am

Interesting read on The Green Faerie.

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/11-02/11_02_absinthe.htm

Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?   Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Long, but a must watch! Very entertaining Smile

riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?   Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Absinthe and whiskey are not as horrible together as you might think--the great Sazerac cocktail is mostly rye, flavored with just a little bitters, absinthe, and sugar syrup.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/s/r/szrc_cktl.htm

But if I have real quality absinthe, I'm going to take it with a little cool water and nothing else. (I'll use a cheaper pastis if I'm mixing.)
I tried a Sazerac at the last NYC Pipe Club meeting. It was way too sweet for my tastes, this was at Cafe Tabac, perhaps it wasn't made correctly. My daughter lives in New Orleans, I'll have to try one at the hotel next time we are down there. The daughter did gift me some Peychauds bitters, but I need to find some Absinthe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?   Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder. Must be an aphrodisiac. clown
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?   Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Very good video. Thanks!

I try to venture off the beaten path on booze from time to time, generally around the holidays or when I have spare change in my pocket. The Absinthe was a "let the drunk guy loose in the liquor store and see what he comes out with" event. It sits behind the booze staples on my cupboard and mocks me. Like the woman you see around town from time to time you remember from a drunken fling. Awkward...

Another one on my list is Akvavit. The only I've see in town is Aalborg (750ml @ $15). Most likely also in the realm of absinthe, ouzo etc.

Pimms is another odd liqueur I tried and it's a favorite summertime drink. Pimms, gin, ginger ale and cucumber!
Back to top Go down

Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: