HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

TAD by the pound(s)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kashmir

Registration date : 2012-11-21

PostSubject: TAD by the pound(s)   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Well, just ordered my requisite six pounds of Star of the East from my favorite retailer smokin' pipes dot com. Anyone else order by multiple pound lots? The way I smoke, I can't afford tins. LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.eboehm.com/
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Pretty much the only way I order Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 pm

If it is worth doing, it is worth over doing.
Only smaller quantities I order are samples!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:14 pm

A few pounds here and there, FVF for example, 24oz boxes of Bulls Eye Flake. But I mostly buy 2oz & 8oz tins of my favorites. The pound mark definitely gives you the best price break on bulk, but with a few of my favorites five 2oz tins is roughly 35 cents more an ounce than 8oz'rs. I like storing 2oz tins better, that way I open 2oz at a time and only 2oz at a time. That said, I'll buy five 2oz tins of something like Embarcadero at 43.00 before I buy an 8 ounce tin at 31.50. Food for thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:22 pm

When purchasing online, I always buy by the pound (or by the five pound as the case may be); as well as buy by multiples of tins (whatever the discount break may be, usually five or ten). Purchasing small amounts only occurs in two cases: 1) sampling; or, 2) the retailer setting limits on how many units one may purchase (such as with the SG tins over the last two years or so).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 pm

For cellaring, only tins. The only exceptions I can think of are the foil packages from Esoterica and Dan. For immediate consumption I occasionally do buy by the oz, but very few of my favorites are offered in bulk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
but very few of my favorites are offered in bulk.

Same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kashmir

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:41 pm

I hear you about those tins guys. I like Escudo & Balkan Sasieni, an they only come in tins. But I guess I'm lucky because nearly all my favorites fit into Cornell & Diehl, Gawith Hoggarth & Co. and McClelland, and Planta. And Mac Baren & Peter Stokkebye too.

Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:13 am

Corrr I wish mate, I'd love to get a fair few lb's of that Peter Stokkebye LBF , I can't believe how cheap it is in America, the sort of equivalent here is Orlik BF, but hell no, lb's of that stuff is what dreams are made of, reality sucks mate. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:40 am

I'm lucky also. A lot of my favorites are available in bulk. GLP being the exception. And there I buy in the 8 oz tins. Once opened they are subdivided into mason jars.

I could not have afforded to stockpile the amount I have if I had concentrated on tins. The difference in cost for me would have been approximately 115%. Round numbers 6500 vs. 3000 over a 6 month period of time.

If I had started cellaring earlier tins would have been an option. But as it is I work with the money and time I feel I can spare Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:04 pm

I understand what you are saying, Slide. Cellaring tins is expensive. I've now reached the 200 lb mark, but I've been doing it little by little, with my first cellar purchase in 1996 or 1997 (sometime soon after ASP started and alerted me to it) and adding bit by bit. I think I wouldn't attempt to do it if If I were to start today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:13 pm

I love Escudo and only for that reason am I agreeable to buying tins, which becomes $100/lb. But wait--GH lbs are $53.00--1/2 the cost; SG $70-$80 a lb; Pease $70; C&D $45-~$60. The buys that I've been doing require bulk purchases, and I can live with the above for variety. Sure it would be great to buy Fox, Dunhill and Solani. But my poundage of 120 would be 60 or 80 had I bought tins, and it looks like we're in for a long hot summer of taxes and governance.

Last edited by alfredo_buscatti on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Kashmir wrote:
...Well, just ordered my requisite six pounds of Star of the East from my favorite retailer...
Jeez, Kashmir...you make it sound like it's something you do regularly. Six pounds at a time? Shocked

What're you doing...eatin' the stuff? Wink

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kashmir

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:32 pm

I tuck in a pound a month of SOTE. Five to eight bowls a day. Thirty years now. Course before in the 80s & 90s it was CBW & PA. Then 10 yrs. with SG & GH. I walk five miles a day to keep the boogeyman man at bay. Blood work cool. At 54 I've never felt better. Trick is is to sip and stick to low nic blends. Could never do this with Royal Yacht. LOL.
Back to top Go down
Trifecta13

Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:45 pm

I haven't purchased anything in bulk as yet. With the coming taxpocalypse, regardless of its full effect, I plan on beginning the cellaring process quite soon. PAD by the lb may well be a factor at that point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
I understand what you are saying, Slide. Cellaring tins is expensive. I've now reached the 200 lb mark, but I've been doing it little by little, with my first cellar purchase in 1996 or 1997 (sometime soon after ASP started and alerted me to it) and adding bit by bit. I think I wouldn't attempt to do it if If I were to start today.

I wish I had started then. But I am glad I have at least started Laughing

As it stands I have enough tobacco put back to have a bowl a day until I'm 90. So my worse case at this point is I cut down to a bowl a day Laughing My worse case gets better weekly though cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: TAD by the pound(s)   Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Kashmir wrote:
I tuck in a pound a month of SOTE. Five to eight bowls a day...
I bought poundage whenever I could up until a couple of years ago, and tins for those fave weedages that weren't available in larger quantities. One day it occurred to me that I probably have enough to last me for the rest of my stay on this mortal coil. There are still some blends I miss that aren't available at any price, and almost certainly never will be available again. But I console myself with those that remain.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html

TAD by the pound(s)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1