HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Guess the pipe smoker -

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Kashmir wrote:
JRR Tolkien.
Huzzah! cheers

the rev wrote:
...I have to admit I am a non violence advocating Gandhi ite, but... I loved this book, and loved Churchill because of it Smile

rev
I too consider myself to be a non-violent man. But as you well know from reading The Last Lion, Brothah rev, Churchill was not the warmonger he has unjustly been accused of being. In fact, quite the opposite is true. He did everything he could to prevent WW II, spending nearly 10 years in the political wilderness warning that the stupidities of the Versailles treaty had laid the foundation for the next great war. No one listened.

Churchill-haters are enslaved to the myth that he hated Germans. It is utter nonsense. He hated Nazis…and especially their chief murderer, the Austrian corporal, Herr Hitler. Immediately after WW I, Churchill proposed abundant humanitarian aid for the starving Germans. His political opponents rejected any such notion.

He alone identified the Nazi threat. At every juncture — the occupation of the Rhineland, the Anschluss in Austria, the rape of Czechoslovakia — he warned against the policy of appeasement started by Baldwin and continued to its ignominious end by Chamberlain. In each case, Hitler easily could have been stopped had Britain (and France, who had unquestionable military superiority) had the backbone to stand up to him.

But they didn’t. The ghastly memory of the slaughter in the trenches of WW I held them so terrified of any military action that “might” start another world war, they were incapable of recognizing those military actions that could have prevented one. And so, as the appeasers repeatedly rejected every chance of preventing the impending carnage when the price would be small, they dragged the world toward a much more catastrophic war by their refusal to honor their own pledges to Hitler's first victims. As Churchill said to Chamberlain after the sell-out of Czechoslovakia at Munich:

“You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.”

That is exactly what happened. Mad

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kashmir

avatar

Age : 57
Location : New Jersey
Registration date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 pm

That's a great quote at the end Vito. And a good summary of Shirer's book. Amen. The question of when to use force - to prevent the use of much greater force later - is a central argument. One that I'm afraid many of today's leaders have not grasped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.eboehm.com/
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:11 pm

the rev wrote:
this is an easy one, but at least he aint another dead white man



and man can this guy play

rev

One of my favorite blues pickers of all time.

Here's another of the great ones-





Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Kashmir

avatar

Age : 57
Location : New Jersey
Registration date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Ah, Steve Ray Vaun. SRV. The man himself! Blues guitarist extraordinaire. RIP.

What's that, a Pete he's smoking? Wonder what blend(s) he smoked.


Last edited by Kashmir on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.eboehm.com/
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Brewdude wrote:
...Here's another of the great ones-



Cheers,

RR
I'm guessing it's Stevie Ray Vaughan...not because I recognize him, but because that looks like Fender's SRV Stratocaster he's playing.

Update: Ah...I see that Brothah Kashmir nailed it while I was posting. cheers

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
the rev

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Oak View CA
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:18 pm

I saw him his last California gig, he opened for BB King, with John Lee Hooker and Joe Cocker, best show ever

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Kashmir

avatar

Age : 57
Location : New Jersey
Registration date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:22 pm

My favorite jazz bassist.



Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.eboehm.com/
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Vito wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
...Here's another of the great ones-



Cheers,

RR
I'm guessing it's Stevie Ray Vaughan...not because I recognize him, but because that looks like Fender's SRV Stratocaster he's playing.

Update: Ah...I see that Brothah Kashmir nailed it while I was posting. cheers

jocolor

SVR, without a doubt. One of my influences.

And I'm given to understand he smoked Night Train (or was it Stonehaven?) in at least one of the pics of him smoking and picking.

And yes, that's a Pete.


Cheers,

RR


Last edited by Brewdude on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Kashmir wrote:
That's a great quote at the end Vito. And a good summary of Shirer's book. Amen. The question of when to use force - to prevent the use of much greater force later - is a central argument. One that I'm afraid many of today's leaders have not grasped.
Yup...it's the lesson that those who appease bullies STILL haven't learned. It's one of the great ironies of history...and perhaps more profoundly, of survival in general: Weakness invites predation. When carnivores stalk the herds, they look for those who are unable to defend themselves. One can excuse such predation in the non-human domain. After all, lions and wolves are only doing what they can to survive, and they serve a purpose by culling the weak and diseased from the gene pool.

But we humanoids are not lions or wolves...at least, there is no reason for us to be. Predation that requires the subjugation or destruction of other humans (whom we do not eat)—especially when it's the kind of senseless, wholesale slaughter practiced by the Third Reich—is a form of criminal bestiality that understands only the language of coercive force. You cannot reason with it. You can only make yourself strong enough to defend against it.

It was no less true in the advent years of WW II. Chamberlain was so deluded by his obsession with "peace at any cost" that he showed himself as a victim. He thought, "Hitler likes me." He was horribly mistaken. Hitler intensely disliked him.

In fact, Hitler resented Chamberlain's meddling with his ambitions in Czechoslovakia. Hitler wanted war; he wanted to flex the muscles of his new mechanized Wehrmacht in wiping Czechoslovakia off the map. Chamberlain's interference ultimately gave him the territory without a fight, but that frustrated his grand vision of himself as a Great Teutonic Warlord™. He ended up having to invent new pretexts for invading Prague, and for exterminating tens of thousands of non-combatants whose only "crimes" were that they were born Slavs or Jews.

So, far from preventing war, appeasement actually encouraged it. When Hitler set his sights on his next target (Poland), he was utterly determined not to allow the appeasers to prevent the war he so desperately wanted to wage. In August, 1939, he had explicitly spoken to Nevile Henderson (Chamberlain’s pro-Nazi ambassador to Berlin) of “annihilating Poland”. Halifax (Chamberlain’s Foreign Secretary) simply deleted that reference from the communiqué he subsequently reported.

Alas, that same mentality is alive and well today among those who would rather not face the truth. As Churchill observed:

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Kashmir wrote:
My favorite jazz bassist.


That one stumped me at first. There are so many great ones. But it has to be Ron Carter.



jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kashmir

avatar

Age : 57
Location : New Jersey
Registration date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Vito - Spot on! You're the master! And by the way I really enjoy reading your analysis on the steps that led to WWII. The post 911 world certainly is no less challenging than the one that led up to it. Piping promotes the thought process. Someone once wrote that without tobacco the Industrial Revolution would not have occurred, or would have done so at a much slower pace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.eboehm.com/
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Kashmir wrote:
Vito - Spot on! You're the master! And by the way I really enjoy reading your analysis on the steps that led to WWII. The post 911 world certainly is no less challenging than the one that led up to it. Piping promotes the thought process. Someone once wrote that without tobacco the Industrial Revolution would not have occurred, or would have done so at a much slower pace.
Thanks for your kind reply, Brothah Kashmir. You do yourself far more credit for recognizing the truth when you see it than any commendation I can offer, but I commend you anyway.

What you say about the role of tobacco in the history of the modern world is, sadly, an aspect of history that is being systematically purged by the anti-tobacco Nazis. The Nazi-esque mentality in all its manifestations has always promoted historical revisionism...by which I mean distortion, obscuration, and outright lying. The technique is still practiced today by apologists for the Third Reich and Soviet Bolshevism. For example, they attempt to obviate any need to exonerate villains like Hitler, Lenin, and Stalin of their crimes by denying that those crimes ever were committed in the first place.

Anyhow, that revisionist mentality is not limited to the political history of Europe and Asia. I discovered a similarly regrettable anti-tobacco revisionism some years ago when I was researching the history of Larus & Brother Tobacco Company of Richmond, makers of the original Edgeworth Extra High Grade Sliced Pipe Tobacco (EEHGS)...

...a favorite of mine in bygone days. It became extinct in 1974 — not to be confused with the (also now-extinct) European made counterfeit by the same name that was available some years ago. The more recent version still has its own fans, to be sure, and with good reason; with sufficient age it's a good smoke in its own right. But it never equaled the original.

At any rate, for a time I was motivated to research the manufacturing processes used for EEHGS and other now-extinct classic Burleyweedages, and I hit a bit of a brick wall in the process. As it turned out, there were incomplete historical records, and those that existed were not easily accessible.

And it wasn't confined to Larus & Bro. Co. Entire sections of Richmond that once contributed much to the economy and culture have been obliterated, and the cultural roots they replaced having been swept away into obscure historical archives, safe from the awareness of those to whom all things weedular are anathema.

Indeed, Virginia isn't the only place where much of the history of the tobacco industry and associated culture has been suppressed...presumably to protect our impressionable minds from the irresistibly corrupting influence of the evil weed. It's For The Children™, you know. Rolling Eyes

Ah, well...no doubt I'm preaching to the choir here, so 'nuff said.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 am

To get things back to this threads subject, here's one for the Francophiles:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Southeast Michigan
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Christian and Luc Boltanski?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Buckshot wrote:
Christian and Luc Boltanski?

VERY GOOD !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Southeast Michigan
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 pm

How about this one...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Buckshot wrote:
How about this one...


J. Robert Oppenheimer.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 pm

It's OK to "wave" to this guy...



jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Buckshot

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Southeast Michigan
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:45 pm

That is Erwin Schrodinger!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Buckshot wrote:
That is Erwin Schrodinger!
It is indeed! cheers I'm amazed that anyone got it.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Buckshot

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Southeast Michigan
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Here's one for ya...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Advertising legend David Ogilvy.

And now for something completely different...



jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Doc Manhattan

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Land of Steady Habits
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:26 pm

It must be a Peterson, because it's noted "thinking man" Bertrand Russell.

This picture of the young Master Russell surely proves that a pipe will make a man of you:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Russell_as_a_boy.jpg
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
It must be a Peterson, because it's noted "thinking man" Bertrand Russell...
I dunno about the Pete, but it's definitely Russell, Doc.

Here's an easy one:



jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Guess the pipe smoker -    Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36 pm

All you car guys ought to know this one: ( and no fair clicking properties Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Guess the pipe smoker -
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Similar topics
-
» "Missing People" go to Downing Street today - and guess who's "Missing"!!!
» Guess Who Don't Sue
» Todd Malcuso on Best Defense with Jamie Floyd 8/21/09
» Hose Pipe Bans
» Cops: 'Party atmosphere' after strangulations, dismemberment attempt in Joliet,Il. Guess the...........heritage of most?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: