Irish Whiskey

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TallyCannon

TallyCannon

Registration date : 2013-01-26

Irish Whiskey - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:10 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Just so you know, Islay malts can be bit of an acquired taste. If you find it doesn't suit you, a gentler Lowland or Speyside might be a better starting point.

Definitely a smoky peat flavor. Good sipping whiskey. Better with about 20% distilled water added.
Back to top Go down
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:42 pm

if you're going for Redbreast spend a little extra and the 12yo cask strenght

Irish Whiskey - Page 2 1735095
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 pm

[quote="Bullwinkle"]if you're going for Redbreast spend a little extra and the 12yo cask strenght

Picked up a bottle today and will try it tonight as a nightcap!
Back to top Go down
TallyCannon

TallyCannon

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:

While people will have different taste preferences I have had the regular 12 year old and I will have to stick to it. Looking at Proof66.com the $65 cask strength scored 512 tier 2 while the $40 12 year old scored a 626 which is tier 1 bordering Top 10%. That is a big difference for $25.
Back to top Go down
TallyCannon

TallyCannon

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 pm

http://www.proof66.com/whiskey/mcclellands-islay-scotch.html

Ah, the McClellands did not score to shabby for $19 bottle.
Back to top Go down
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 am

TallyCannon wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

While people will have different taste preferences I have had the regular 12 year old and I will have to stick to it. Looking at Proof66.com the $65 cask strength scored 512 tier 2 while the $40 12 year old scored a 626 which is tier 1 bordering Top 10%. That is a big difference for $25.

don't I feel stupid
Back to top Go down
TallyCannon

TallyCannon

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am

Bullwinkle wrote:
don't I feel stupid

Sorry, that was not my intent.

Seems the price has gone up here locally for Readbrest. It is now $63.99 a bottle! Yikes!
Back to top Go down
IndySmoker

Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I keep one of these and fill her up from a glass bottle when she gets empty
Irish Whiskey - Page 2 Roundup_0000000000003428_image_01
it's my favorite but one day I'll fork over the money for Redbreast
Back to top Go down
Vito

Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Jameson Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 4:29 pm

I've been learning how to drink Jameson for the last few days, but I think I've got it nailed now. I'm finding that it's like Tullamore Dew in the sense that I can't drink it neat. So far, the only Irish whiskies I can drink neat are the two Bushmills I've tried—white label and the black-label Bushmills Irish Honey.

Jameson is different. For me, it needs a bit of water to smooth it out and open it up. Without the water, it has a sharp, hot alcohol edge that seems...well, almost medicinal. But a splash of spring water makes it mellow and silky smooth. It's too soon to tell whether it will become a mainstay, but it's unquestionably a fine whiskey.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 4:49 pm

My Irish "nirvana" Powers 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey recently tried last year and also ever bought a first case after.

Other Irish also used to enjoy Bushmills 10 Year Old Single Malt and to Bushmills Black Bush Irish Whiskey. (also 3 for ~$35)

Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey is very good and a best buy, especially for Irish coffee

Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey is also best buy and sleeper.

Midleton Rare Irish Whiskey for great but really too pricey.

Have tried most all ones in Irish but is one the worst Paddy's Irish Whiskey.

Jim

Back to top Go down
Vito

Vito

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Ol'Dawg wrote:
My Irish "nirvana" Powers 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey recently tried last year and also ever bought a first case after.
Thanks for that, Jim. Powers was out of stock at BevMo on my last trip, so I went for the Jameson. But Powers does get good reviews, and it's reputed to be the most popular whiskey in Ireland. That will be the next one I try. Eventually, I'll work my way through all the Bushmills offerings.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
JPatrick

JPatrick

Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 8:52 pm

I mostly drink ConCannon when I'm in the mood for Irish Whisky. A lot like Jameson, but a bit more fruity with a longer finish.
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Vito wrote:
Ol'Dawg wrote:
............But Powers does get good reviews, and it's reputed to be the most popular whiskey in Ireland.

jocolor

Many native Irishmen I've called it only "Gold" and sometimes just for specific "Gold Whiskey". As always everybody has there special brand, but seems one use a prefers of "Gold".

Powers 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey as a total animal. And it's difficult find by the close by our near liquor stores in Georgia and South Carolina. It's difficult especially because Georgia liquor is prohibited from on-line sales.

Another possibillity for you is to try http://www.totalwine.com.

Good look!

Jim

PS: If you're trying to writing is difficult, please understand because my morning had a fall after several months and scrambled my brain I can read and hear...but saying and writing is very still difficult. The fall wasn't drinking or even had a hangover before anyone starts excuses to me.
Back to top Go down
Vito

Vito

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whiskey   Irish Whiskey - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Jim:

Ouch...sorry to hear about your fall, amigo. As for scrambled brain, that seems to happen anyway. It recently took me two days to remember the actor David Niven's name. I could picture him clearly, and even remember several films that he was in, but I just couldn't come up with his name. I refused to peek by Googling for it. It was something I had to make myself remember.

The weird thing about it is that, when I finally remembered his name, I had been thinking about his fellow Brit actor, James Mason, and suddenly Niven's name just popped into my head. The ironic thing about that is the fact that David Niven refused to work with James Mason because Mason was a pacifist, and Niven (temporarily) gave up acting to serve in the British army in WW II. So, whatever the reason I associated the two actors, it couldn't have been because they were in a film together.

The human memory is a truly weird thing.

jocolor
Back to top Go down

Irish Whiskey
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: