HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration   Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Earlier today I posted a picture of this GBD on the Rim Cleaning thread. One of the members asked to see more, so instead of hijacking that thread, I started one on this unique pipe. This pipe was gifted to me by a member on another forum. He knew I enjoyed the GBD 9438 and 9242 shapes and offered it to me unsolicited. His only stipulation on the gift was that I not sell it, which I easily accepted. He inherited this pipe and several others from the friend of his fathers who passed away. That gentleman lived near Smokers Haven in Ohio, which was the primary US distributer for GBD in the 70's. I assume this and the other pipes came from that shop.

When I unpacked the pipe I was surprised on how large it was and it weighs in at a hefty 82 grams. The pipe was very grimey, with a heavy layer of tar on the bowl top. Fortunately, despite meager care, the Perspex stem was in terrific shape with no teeth marks.

I did my usual bowl ream and soak then started gently cleaning the bowl. After cleaning, the nomenclature was revealed but faint. If I had been any more aggresive, the stamping would have disappeared. I was surprised to find this was a "Seventy-Six" "Colossus" model with a 9676 model stamp (and London, England). GBD released various shape versions with the Seventy-Six stamping in 1976 to celebrate the Bicentennial. They are always have odd model stamps that I haven't found anywhere else. The Seventy-Six model remained in the GBD catalog for several years. They were rumoured to have used "Virgin" grade briar and this and my other Seventy-Six pipe do reflect a nice piece of briar. While Seventy-Six models pop up on Ebay from time to time, I have never seen this shape combo. Rest assured, it won't leave my pipe cabinet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration   Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Awesome ! cheers cheers cheers

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration   Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Quite nice. Great work Al!

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration   Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:05 pm

Fantastic work Al!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harbinger

Registration date : 2012-12-30

PostSubject: Re: GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration   Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 am

Brilliant job!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration   Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 am

great transformation!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration   Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Fantastic - Congratulations! cheers cheers

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Nice "clean up". Luv the shape & perspex stem. A real keeper. Congrats. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GBD 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus Restoration
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: