HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My first blowfish!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:18 pm

This was my very first blowfish. I was pretty pleased with it, but when I was stamping it I broke off the shank extension. Crying or Very sad Sixteen hours down the tubes in one instant. I wound up gluing the extension back on. It will still smoke but the stem isn't removable. That's okay because it passes a cleaner just fine.

Because I couldn't sleep at night if I sold this one I gave it away to a friend.

Let me know what you guys think.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:45 pm

For a Blowfish, that's a SAMLL one Twisted Evil Your interpretation is the best looking I've seen of that style ! To bad about the stem situation, but I'm sure your friend will love it! Nice, nice job ! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:52 pm

monbla256 wrote:
For a Blowfish, that's a SAMLL one Twisted Evil Your interpretation is the best looking I've seen of that style ! To bad about the stem situation, but I'm sure your friend will love it! Nice, nice job ! cheers

Thanks monbla! It is indeed small! Overall length was about 3 1/2". Little bugger was a pain to sand. Still has a sizable chamber. Probably about a Dunhill grp. 2 in size.
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Good looking pipe there, hope your friend loves it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Well done! That's one of the few blowfish I've seen that I'd actually smoke. cheers

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Dude, O, that's a great pipe. Always a fan of the blowfish, and that one is elegant and understated in the genre...which is awesome. Some people try and go way over the top with them (I guess they ask for it, that shape) and you went simple. It payed off. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:06 pm

MisterE wrote:
Well done! That's one of the few blowfish I've seen that I'd actually smoke. cheers

I second this!^
And it's strangely refreshing to see someone who's first pipe was not a blowfish...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
MisterE wrote:

I second this!^
And it's strangely refreshing to see someone who's first pipe was not a blowfish...

Hah! Indeed. I'm only wondering if that blowfish would have looked even better had I made about 20 more classics beforehand.

Learning the classic shapes really trains your eye and allows you to create fine and precise lines. Once you learn those skills they transfer over to more abstract designs and give them a level of precision in the overall composition. Classics are still my passion, but it's nice to venture out into the freehand world from time to time.

Thank you all for your opinions. I really value all or your input.
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Looks awesome brother. I have to admit that I really dig the double stamping on the back, just a quirk I find cool. The pipe looks darn good brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:58 pm

O, a fine looking pipe! If you ever want to gift another... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Great looking pipe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:44 pm

That's a really good looking pipe brother! Sorry to hear it broke. I hope your friend enjoys it.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:51 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
That's a really good looking pipe brother! Sorry to hear it broke. I hope your friend enjoys it.

Jim

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Actually the pipe breaking was a blessing in disguise. I'm happy it broke on my rather than a customer. That would have been really bad!

In other news, stay tuned for the debut of my website coming within the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Beautiful pipe Ocelot. I think the size is fantastic. I enjoy small pipes and it's really different to see one in a shape that's usually reserved for massive specimens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:04 am

Outstanding job! Very Happy I'm sure you're friend is quite thrilled to have it.

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 am

So far most of the Blowfish pipes I have seen have been really 'yeuchy' one way or another, I wouldn't give most of then rack space if they were given to me but this one is fabulous, your friend is a lucky man, shame for you though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Oh dear, this must be the first blowfish I really like! cheers Too beautiful, once again so elegant without a look of fragility. Shapely. Yes, that's the word. I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:46 am

It's a fine pipe but to me the blowfish is a depiction of asymmetrical symmetry. The carver pushes the shape into a very fetching rendition of asymmetry. This blowfish is too symmetrical for my taste, which doesn't take away from the great work you've done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:47 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
It's a fine pipe but to me the blowfish is a depiction of asymmetrical symmetry. The carver pushes the shape into a very fetching rendition of asymmetry. This blowfish is too symmetrical for my taste, which doesn't take away from the great work you've done.

You make a very good point, and I have had more experienced carvers make that comment to me as well. My response is that in a true blowfish shape it is not the carver but the briar that dictates the asymmetry. In many ways if the carver follows the grain as he should the shape almost makes itself, or at least there are very definite lines to follow.

One of the reasons I chose this block was because the grain did not fan out at a very steep angle. I thought subtle asymmetry would be best for a first blowfish, especially in a pipe this small. Granted I do believe there is room, even in this shape, for a little more exaggeration of the lines, but not a lot.

I'd like to try to make another on a larger more interesting piece of briar now.

Thanks for the comment. You know your stuff! (although, I still don't know what "asymmetrical symmetry" is scratch )
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Asymmetrical symmetry is a systematic crossing over the lines of true symmetry in such a way that the asymmetry takes over, all the while needing the symmetry as its basis.

Despite that those two words didn't make sense, I think you understood what I was saying. I hope it was helpful.

The standard of watching the grain for what it can tell you regarding shape is fantastic, as many pipes by masters seem to always maximize the melding of grain and shape.

The Michael Lindner Blowfish with Mastodon Ivory at

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/michael-lindner/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=113364

is what I would call asymmetrically symmetrical. But my god! what a mastery this shows, managing all those angles in achieving this. I'm not sure I could hold them all in mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm

Yeah, I got what you meant. Very Happy

Lindner can sell his pipes for $1K + because he is a master. Truly magnificent work. Not my favorite blowfish, but it does demonstrate that he knows completely about letting the grain guide his hands.

I will say, however, that I really don't like the way that pipe looks. Laughing Just personal aesthetics. Here's more my taste:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/former/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=40283

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/chonowitsch/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=23778
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:08 pm

They are both masterful pipes, more traditional than Lindner's. Because I like the way a blowfish pushes its asymmetry, I like his the best. A blowfish more than other shapes seems to allow for more individualistic shaping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:15 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
A blowfish more than other shapes seems to allow for more individualistic shaping.

Bingo!! As I researched the shape I came to the same conclusion. That's also the cool thing about them. They allow the individual artists to express themselves while still staying true to the idea behind the shape. Unlike a billiard.
Back to top Go down
Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:20 am

WOW!!! Just beautiful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: My first blowfish!   Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:18 am

Michealangelo said that sculpting is removing stone to let the shape that is in the block 'free'. Not even close to an exact quote but you get the idea (g). Pipe looks good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

My first blowfish!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: