HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added

Go down 
AuthorMessage
millerman

millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added Empty
PostSubject: First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added   First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:56 am

Well here you go. Started working this block of briar and my goodness at all the pits. The bowl got a little funky deal going on because of pits. Then the shank had a huge pit in the side and I am afraid it may go into the airway. But I thought I'm still a beginner and need all the practice I can get so I'd try to do a little rustication. Then as I made my way around the bottom there was evidence of another pit. After looking into the bowl I'm almost positive it goes into the bottom of the bowl. Not going to be a very usable pipe but it's kinda cool looking and like I said I needed the practice. Not being a fan of rustications, I wasn't sure how to go about it. I made one of those things using nails but didn't use it. Don't know why, just didn't. I foung a burring tool in one of my tool boxes and decided to do some pecking with it chucked into the old rotozip. It's not what you would think about in a rustication but I kinda like it because of that. Still not a fan of rustications though.

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 5pipe117

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 5pipe118

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 5pipe116

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 5pipe612

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 5pipe911

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 5pipe811

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 5pipe510

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 5pipe411

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 5pipe311

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by millerman on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added   First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 am

Looks good to me. Nothing is more fair than a hag turned into a beautiful princess.

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added D6bddf10First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 29400910First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added 114e6110First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added Ddb39b10First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added Cf77ce10First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added Dd692012First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added   First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:32 pm

I like the shape of the bowl, and good job on the rustication.
Back to top Go down
millerman

millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added   First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Thanks guys. I took it to work tonight and everyone really liked it. Although it may not be a good smoker because of the pits it still looks cool. My grandpa has sent word that he wants me to make him one, and he don't smoke. So I think I'll give him this one. Again thanks for looking and commenting.
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added   First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 am

Looks pretty good, though the pictures are so small I can't see a lot of detail.

I really like using the nail rustication type tools. They do create a pattern but the chips of briar are all different sizes. The finished effect looks more "natural." Excellent rustication can also be done with a dremel tool, but I recommend using different sized burrs and different depths so the rustication doesn't look so artificial.

Too bad about the pits. i had to get rid of two pipes in the last few months because of flaws. Still it is great to practice on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com

First Rustication Attempt 2 new pics added
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: