HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Pipe'n Prof

Registration date : 2013-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis   Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:46 pm

ExcessEnergy wrote:

I own your pipe's twin. Of my four Polinski's, it's my favorite. Here it is next to a Peterson. It has smoked well for me over the past year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis   Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 pm

What do all of you think about his new shapes and colors? I'm noticing a tend over the past month. He's starting to offer pipes in various unorthodox colors (e.g., green, blue, etc) and he is moving from the large, stout aesthetic to somewhat more whimsical shapes. I'm finding myself less enthused. Do any of you notice this trend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

Registration date : 2014-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis   Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:23 pm

I own your pipe's twin. Of my four Polinski's, it's my favorite. Here it is next to a Peterson. It has smoked well for me over the past year.

[/quote]

Yes, I recall when you were comparing those two pipes' size earlier.  Glad to hear it performs so well. I'm anticipating its twin's advent even more, then.

As for the new colors, the orange one doesn't put me off, as it is close to some of the finishes on other, more well-known pipe carvers' products.  Not so crazy about blue and green, however, even though they are my favorite colors in other contexts.  Seems to me, in my rock ribbed way, that a pipe should still reflect what it is, i.e., that wood should look like wood, not a crayola.  On the other hand, when I was in college, my dad gave to me three of his pipes when he decided that he was not a pipe smoker, two of which were those high tech The Pipe pipes, a straight billiard with a royal blue exterior and a straight bulldog with a bright orange exterior (the other was a huge Golden Parker straight billiard).  I did not mind the crayola colors on those two ceramic and graphite pipes because it is in the nature of ceramic to be surfaced with vivid colors.  But weird colored wood pipes "jes' ain't nachrul!"  Seems to me that such pipes will have a more narrow appeal and that the eBay bidding will probably reflect that.  On the other hand, this means that we can pick up great smoking pipes at a lesser cost, provided that we can tolerate smoking a pipe that looks like a tropical frog.

As for the new shapes, some of them seem quite aesthetically appealing, but I was wary of the thermal qualities of the smaller bowls with short shanks and stems.  We know his briar is good, but the question is whether those smaller guys will smoke as coolly as the big bowl models like yours, above.  I think I'll wait until someone else tries one and reports back.  Here are a couple of examples of the smaller shapes that I thought were quite visually appealing:

And this one would have been good looking, if stained in more traditional wood colors, but, as it is, my reaction was "I don't think so":

It seemed reminiscent of this "frog" pipe by another Polish carver (admittedly, not Polinski) which evoked "Ewwww!  No!":

Whereas, I just noticed this filtered Polinski on eBay, which appears to be a more natural-colored stain version of the smurf pipe above, albeit with a somewhat different stem.  For my money, this one is the better-looking pipe (although I'm not inclined to buy filtered pipes):

And here's a picture of the same type of pipe as the smurf one above, but with a reddish orange stain, which I am not crazy about, but it still looks better than the blue or the pea soup green:  

Last edited by ExcessEnergy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: THE FROG PIPE   Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:35 pm

OMG!   affraid 

Polinski actually called one of the green ones "Mr. Frog" and here it is:

Looks like Kermit, dropped on a rock . . . . from very high up.

He could have called it The Exorcist.  ("Miss Blair, your pipe is ready!")

Whew!   Mad   Pea soup, anyone?

Astonishingly, he has it for sale at a fixed price of $195!  What a Face  If it actually sells at that price, that will prove past peradventure that it takes all kinds to fill the freeways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis   Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 pm

ExcessEnergy wrote:

Looks like Kermit, dropped on a rock . . . . from very high up.

lol! Just too funky for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: New Polinskis   Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:19 am

Was getting ready for the jury trial in which I've been embroiled the past four weeks (still in it . . . back to court first thing tomorrow morning), which afforded me plenty of time to succumb to PAD, including the following Polinskis in addion to the two shown above:

This one was sold by a third party who apparently bought it and was not too crazy about it, but it's a nice one and perfect for those late night poker parties:

And, while we're on the subject of poker, here's another one for the same event, just in case the friendly game goes late into the night and I'm hocking the silver to stay in the game:

I also bought one of his by-now-traditional shapes in brown, as God meant a pipe to be:

And, then, I know that I said that I'd wait until someone else bought one of the new shapes and reported back, but curiousity got the better of me and impelled this impulse surge of PDA:

That's all the news from up here in Chatsworth where the trial drags on and on.  Happy puffing, guys!

Last edited by ExcessEnergy on Wed May 07, 2014 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis   Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Very nice pipes, EE. I particularly like the pokers. I've had my eye on a few of those. I love the first with the lucite stem, as I'm beginning to view vulcanite stems as a deal breaker for me -- too much maintenance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis   Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:43 am

Yes, I'm coming to the same conclusion on stems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis   Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Wow Excess you've been on a roll lately. How do you like the full bent pipe. I've been keeping the PAD under control lately but have been very tempted by the dark semi rusticated ones of late. Must resist, must resist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: On a roll   Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Actually, I've been so busy with the trial that I have not had any time to smoke any of the new acquisitions. They just keep piling up in the bar, waiting until the end of trial. I will let you know. Ascorti makes a pipe very much like that Polinski bent series, I was noticing at the local Tinder Box where I was getting yet another Savinelli Lumberman cleaned (you can never have too many Lumbermen!).

Off to Kathy's birthday dinner . . . got her a little light blue box present. Won't be buying any more pipes after that puppy!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis   Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Just getting around to posting a bent Polinski I picked up back in mid Dec 2013.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: Very nice pipe1   Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:11 pm

That's a great shape.  I had not seen Polinski put out a heavy bent one like that when I was buying mine the last few months.  Looks sharp and probably hangs without hassle.  I am really amazed at the quality of his pipes.  Congratulations on a great buy!

Last edited by ExcessEnergy on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: New odd-shaped Polinski smokes cool on on break-in!   Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:05 pm

I am pleased and a little relieved to report that the above rather oddly-shaped and less-massive-than-the-other-Polinskis pipe smoked coolly on the first break-in smoke, nothwithstanding its lesser bowl mass and short shank and stem.  I don't know what Polinski does to make his pipes smoke so coolly, but that they do seems to be a fact.

On the other hand, shapes like this, no matter who makes them, are very hard to make easy to pass a cleaner through, and this one is no exception. This is one of those that has to be taken apart after it's cooled down to clean properly, which is not a very appealing characteristic. I generally prefer pipes that can be cleaned with an easy pass through of the cleaners.

Oh and by the way, on the acrylic vs. vulcanite discussion, I have become an advocate of acrylic because of maintenance issues, just like the Prof, but the stem on this little guy IS acrylic, even though it's black.  It is hard and exhibits none of the give of the vulcanite "clincher" stems and bits.  I am not yet sure about the stems on the chunkier Polinski's I bought lately that are pictured earlier in this topic, as I have not had time with the trial to break those guys in.

Happy puffing, guys!

Last edited by ExcessEnergy on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis   Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 pm

EE, you seem to be raking in those Polinski's lately. I'm happy for you. They are simply too heavy for my liking, but for you they are to be had at a reasonable enough rate. Enjoy it while it lasts! If he grows too popular, they'll be shooting up in the 100-200 range :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: Get 'em while they're not hot!   Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:32 pm

joshoowah wrote:
EE, you seem to be raking in those Polinski's lately. I'm happy for you.  They are simply too heavy for my liking, but for you they are to be had at a reasonable enough rate.  Enjoy it while it lasts! If he grows too popular, they'll be shooting up in the 100-200 range :p

Well, you're right.  However, sometimes the bidding is intense enough to drive some of the big, bulky ones over $100.  Even so, their smoking characteristics make them worth it so long as their price stays below the similarly-configured Morettis.  As between Polinski and Moretti, I suppose I would still prefer a Moretti because of Marco's reputation for craftsmanship and punctilious briar selection, but it's getting to be a pretty close call.  These Polinskis are almost as satisfying to smoke as my giant Don Carlos, Moretti and Tim West Canadians, which is really saying something.

BTW, in my rush to document the latest Polinski acquisitions, I neglected to add one other that I cadged during the presentation of evidence phase of the trial, which is pictured below.  It is very similar to the other brown rock rusticated that I bought in a rash of acquiring Polinski pipes, but it is darker than both of the other brown rock pipes and has more rustication on the shank (the other two brown rocks are smooth-shanked).

This one also has a little more bend to it than the others.  Anyway, that's all the Polinskis for me unless he comes out with a 9-11" Canadian.  Then, I might be tempted.

But I take your point about smaller pipes.  I picked up this one from Brother Nathan Mattia on his Viking Pipe Club site - it's a nice little Danish style freehand estate pipe from Randy Wiley that smoked cool and sweet upon arrival yesterday, which shows that small pipes apart from Dunhills can smoke well:

Happy puffing, guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: First break-in smoke of one of the new Polinski rocks . . .    Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:03 pm

On the other hand, the first break-in smoke of this Polinski rock with the same tobacco (Harbor Island) used in the little red Polinski bent ball discussed above was rather hot about half way through the 1/3 break-in fill with that tobacco, so I'll be using Deep Hollow on the 2/3 fill break-in smoke in this one next time.

Well, back to the salt mines.

Happy puffing, guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: Polinski Poker Break-Ins   Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:03 pm

On a happier note, the break-in smokes of the two Polinski poker pipes shown above with Harbor Island went very well and very coolly. Polinski must have somehow cadged some good briar for a considerable number of his pipes, although the break-in smoke of that rock referenced above was a bit hot. Overall, most of the pipes sampled so far were surprisingly cool on break-in, despite their relatively short shanks and stems. There must be something to having those thick bowl walls as a means of dispersing the heat. They must operate as an effective heat sink. Hopefully, the hotter ones will settle down to cooler puffing once broken in. My thanks again to you fellows for drawing my attention to these extraordinary pipes that can actually travel well, unlike my war clubs that smoke cool but really cannot be taken on the road, as it were.

Happy puffing,
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Let's See Some Pictures Of Your Polinskis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4