HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What do you use to shine up your pipes?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 pm

CipsterX wrote:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a microfiber rag and they shine up great!

Interesting. I'll have to try that! Thanks for the tip Cipster.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:22 pm

I stopped using olive oil years ago as it can go rancid, especially in hot, humid climes.

I've been using food grade mineral oil, sparingly, for years -- it's easy to find, inexpensive, flavor neutral, and provides great results. Works great on butcher block too  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 pm

I use Paragon wax on my stems and Caranuba wax on all my stummels applying with a buffer.
You won't find better results. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:51 pm

rothnh wrote:
I stopped using olive oil years ago as it can go rancid, especially in hot, humid climes.

I've been using food grade mineral oil, sparingly, for years -- it's easy to find, inexpensive, flavor neutral, and provides great results.  Works great on butcher block too  Wink   

So did you actually have this experience roth? Seems to me a light application and buffing would be pretty begin as far as that is concerned.

OTOH Mineral oil might be a good alternative, since as you say it's neutral. I always have some of that on hand.

There again I seldom shine up my smooth pipes, so perhaps this is a non-issue for me!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:18 pm

Brewdude wrote:

So did you actually have this experience Roth? Seems to me a light application and buffing would be pretty begin as far as that is concerned.

OTOH Mineral oil might be a good alternative, since as you say it's neutral. I always have some of that on hand.

There again I seldom shine up my smooth pipes, so perhaps this is a non-issue for me!

Cheers,

RR

Yes, while in the military. After a good cleaning, I first swtiched over to the Boos Butcher Block Oil, which we were already using in the kitchen, but my wife switched over to the food grade mineral oil, and I found the mineral oil worked just as well on my pipes, if not better, and it costs a lot less.

I use Obsidian Oil on my rubber stems now, but a drop of the mineral oil works well for certain other pipe applications.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:25 pm

rothnh wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

So did you actually have this experience Roth? Seems to me a light application and buffing would be pretty begin as far as that is concerned.

Cheers,

RR

Yes, while in the military.  After a good cleaning, I first swtiched over to the Boos Butcher Block Oil, which we were already using in the kitchen, but my wife switched over to the food grade mineral oil, and I found the mineral oil worked just as well on my pipes, if not better, and it costs a lot less.

I use Obsidian Oil on my rubber stems now, but a drop of the mineral oil works well for certain other pipe applications.

I'll give the Mineral oil a try then since I have it on hand. I also have had much success with Obsidian Oil on my Vulcanite stems, after removing the oxidation first.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 pm

I've often wondered if obsidian oil is just repurposed mineral oil.

Mineral oil is an anti-oxidant used on high-end cutlery. I also apply it to vulcanite stems. All I do is put the smallest dab on my fingertip and rub it on the stem. I then let it sit for, oh, quite a few hours, and then rub it in some more. Sometimes repeat a third time. (But not adding more mineral oil after the first app.) Eventually, the stem takes on a nice gloss. After the oil is no longer wet and slick, you can wax the stem, I've found. I also sometimes run just a little mineral oil through the stem with a pipe cleaner.

As a practical matter, badly oxidized stems must be sanded before applying mineral oil. You can't polish oxidation, try though you might.

Some pipers argue that a vulcanite stem doesn't absorb mineral oil, but my fingertip does. I can't say they're absolutely wrong. I'm just reporting on what I do / how it works for me. Take it or leave it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dramatwist

Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:12 am

monbla256 wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:
Forehead grease.   *shrug*  

This plus the side of one's nose with a final polish/wipe with an old 12" square cut from a flannel shirt years ago. Once in awhile maybe a wheel polish when an opportunity presents itself.  Razz

This is the way I roll...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravkesef

Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:23 am

Kevinm said:
Some pipers argue that a vulcanite stem doesn't absorb mineral oil, but my fingertip does. I can't say they're absolutely wrong. I'm just reporting on what I do / how it works for me. Take it or leave it. wrote:
  Kevin is on target--while the vulcanite doesn't absorb the oil, it is sufficiently porous for the oil to "slip between the cracks," thereby impregnating the pores and other surface imperfections in the vulcanite, and so when it is shined up a while later, the vulcanite has a smooth and shiny appearance. I don't know what the chemical composition of Obsidian oil is, since they're not telling, but I would guess that olive oil and mineral oil form a significant portion of its constituent elements, perhaps castor oil, perhaps a few other things. However, tests have shown that on lightly oxidized pipes, the obsidian oil will over time act to reduce or even remove the oxidation.  My own experience, anecdotal though it may be, is that since Obsidian oil came on the market, my stems do look better than they did in the "good old days." Perhaps it's because I am more fastidious in applying the oil than I previously did with olive oil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maynard58

Registration date : 2014-10-19

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Olive Oil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:00 pm

The original question had to do with spiffing up the bowl of a smooth pipe. Like many of you, I use on smooth pipes a piece of flannel cloth that over the years has become impregnated with wax. But here's a bit of serendipity for you -- I shined a pair of brown shoes the other day and, afterward, wanted a nice smoke. Afterward, lacking the ambition to climb upstairs and get my flannel cloth, I gave my smooth briar a once over with the polishing cloth I used on my shoes. It's once of those rugged cotton cloths that looks like a stretched rectangle. Wow! The pipe gleamed! Then, remembering some scratches on an estate pipe I recently acquired, I applied a dab of brown shoe polish to the wounds with a Q-tip, let it dry and buffed it lightly. Success, again! Maybe all of you already know this trick, and I haven't been paying attention. FWIW.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:57 pm

I use my buffing wheel with tripoli on one pad and then carnuba on the other. But I haven't had/kept any pipes long enough to need to re-buff them. Most of the pipes I buff are refurbs that I sell instead of keep. This thread gave me some good ideas though!

I have a pipe refurbishing friend who does use shoe stain/polish to stain his pipes sometimes too, so that's another idea for pipes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm still trying to source some nose oil.  Every time I go into a BM and ask I'm usually met with a smile and a shrug. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://stickballard.wixsite.com/blog
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:10 pm

KevinM wrote:
The original question had to do with spiffing up the bowl of a smooth pipe. Like many of you, I use on smooth pipes a piece of flannel cloth that over the years has become impregnated with wax. But here's a bit of serendipity for you -- I shined a pair of brown shoes the other day and, afterward, wanted a nice smoke. Afterward, lacking the ambition to climb upstairs and get my flannel cloth, I gave my smooth briar a once over with the polishing cloth I used on my shoes. It's once of those rugged cotton cloths that looks like a stretched rectangle. Wow! The pipe gleamed! Then, remembering some scratches on an estate pipe I recently acquired, I applied a dab of brown shoe polish to the wounds with a Q-tip, let it dry and buffed it lightly. Success, again! Maybe all of you already know this trick, and I haven't been paying attention. FWIW.

Works for me. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:08 pm

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
I use my buffing wheel with tripoli on one pad and then carnuba on the other. But I haven't had/kept any pipes long enough to need to re-buff them. Most of the pipes I buff are refurbs that I sell instead of keep. This thread gave me some good ideas though!

I have a pipe refurbishing friend who does use shoe stain/polish to stain his pipes sometimes too, so that's another idea for pipes!

Where do you sell said pipes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:15 pm

I sell them in the shop I work at: Outman Knife & Cigars. Soon I am hoping to build up enough stock/variety to sell on Ebay or possibly start a website like Viking Pipes has!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Dutch wrote:
While I do agree that nothing can compare to a buffing wheel and carnauba wax, this setup can create quite a bit of dust once the wax dries on your buffing wheel. Some folks find that is a problem, unless they have a shop environment to do thier buffing.

Paragon wax which is intended for smooth pipes works great, and it works even better when given several days to dry before buffing off the excess with a dry cloth. To get an optimal shine, just barely buff it enough to get a shine, and leave it alone. Excessive buffing will just take the wax back off, and disappoint you with the end result.

The reason these waxes usually don't maintain a great shine long term, is because they allow your pipe to breathe, which is important to the overall function of the briar. You could easily coat your pipes in polyurethane or shellac to maintain a fantastic long term shine, but these will inhibit the briars ability to breathe. Not only will such a coating slow down the process of the pipe drying after smoking, it will also make the pipe smoke hotter during smoking.

As for the Halcyon II wax, which is intended for rusticated pipes, I have not had as much luck with, simply because it can be difficult to polish the pipe in the crevices of the rustication or sandblast. To get the accumulation out of the crevices, I have used the heat of a flame to melt the wax, but again with minimal results.

For rusticated or sandblasted pipe polishing, I think your best bet is to go back the the tried and true buffing wheel with carnauba wax.

The whole 'briar needs to breathe' thing is a myth. Wax is not breathable. It is the opposite of breathable. It is used to make things not breathable. If briar's ability to breathe was important, then waxing a pipe would be awful. A thin coat of shellac is actually a great way to shine up a pipe that may high-grade makers use to no detriment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Guest wrote:
As concerns stummels, a pipe that's been competently waxed has a permanent finish unless there's some incredible environmental factor in play...

This is completely false. Wax rubs off and is not permanent at all.

Re: shining rustic/blasted pipes, as was noted above, the wax can collect in the crevices. Also, buffing can dull the texture over time. Jim Cooke mentioned some time that he'd hunt down and kill anyone who buffed one of his blasts (I'm exaggerating, but he was worked up about it). Since he spends hours getting a blast just right, he doesn't want anyone messing it up with a buffer.

I've probably been a little noncancerous on these last few posts, but I think there's a lot of misinformation out that that needs to be cleared up. No hard feelings intended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:25 am

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
I sell them in the shop I work at: Outman Knife & Cigars. Soon I am hoping to build up enough stock/variety to sell on Ebay or possibly start a website like Viking Pipes has!

You know you could use our 'Trading Post' section here as 'your website' until you get your own website... Then you could share on our 'Towne Criar' section. Reasonably priced estates sell pretty good here... And if nobody buys them you are only out a few pics and a description.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:49 pm

When mine come back from getting a new stem, they usually come back polished with something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to shine up your pipes?   Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:07 pm

I'm with Kyle, I do the forehead grease too. And that brebbia stuff in the tiny tube for stem care
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What do you use to shine up your pipes?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2