HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dock
BoB's Team

Number of posts: 2354
Tobacco: Arturo Fuente "Hemingway"
Pipe: Former Collector of High End Briar
Registration date: 2007-12-15

PostSubject: A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:13 am

The Pipe: Stanwell shape #30 A classic group 4-5 smooth bent acorn with an acrylic saddle stem purchased for $70.00 from smokingpipes.com

The drilling is near spot on. The draw is very,very open. It'll pass a large xtra fluffy cleaner with ease. It's grain is so-so with a few bald spots which may or may not come out with smoking. It's weight is average and it's easy to clench. It's stem fitting is also so-so with just a bit of light passing through at the bottom. All and all it's a well executed shape and appears to be well made for it's modest price point.

The first few puffs were expectedly sour as with almost any pipe that has has a bowl coating. This flavor quickly calmed down and the full flavor of Navy Flake came through. I puffed slowly and the pipe never got in the least bit hot. It has excellent balance and didn't come out of my mouth for the entire smoke. The bit is thin and comfortable and won't ever discolour as it's acrylic. This is a real plus to me as I plan of using it as a yard/fishing pipe and only minimal maintainance will be necessary.

In conclusion and after three bowls this pipe has totally exceeded my expectations and furthered my belief that Stanwell makes the best mid grade pipes on the market! It also proves that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a great smoking pipe!

Last edited by Danish_Pipe_Guy on Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Nick

Number of posts: 80
Registration date: 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:29 am

SNAUSAGES!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Number of posts: 6384
Tobacco: Mostly simple burleys these days
Pipe: Stanwells and Petersons
Registration date: 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 am

Nice! I love Stanwells. For a low cost pipe they're fantastic - great smokers. Most of my work pipes are Stanwells. I really like that shape 30 too, classic Cool

These are horrible times and all sorts of horrible people are prospering, but we must never let this disturb our equanimity or deflect us from our sacred duty to annoy and hinder them at every turn.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CPT/VSG

Number of posts: 316
Tobacco: Smokers' Haven's Best Blend
Pipe: Brad Pohlman/Michael Parks/Rad Davis
Registration date: 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!   Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:44 am

Although I've been moving in a different direction in my collecting--bought a third Michael Parks this week--I completely agree that great pipes are out there at reasonable prices. I've never smoked a Stanwell but I do buy Boswells. When JM opens today, I'm picking up one off of his site for way less than $100 that will be a great smoker (I want a dedicated SG FVF pipe).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.treneff.com
SailorJack

Number of posts: 460
Tobacco: SHPC VR Blend
C&D Poplar Camp
C&D Opening Night

Pipe: Custom Todd Bannard Plateau Horn
Peterson Donegal Rocky XL02
Registration date: 2008-10-14

PostSubject: A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!   Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:27 am

Your quite right!! I can't afford the high ticket briars so I have mainly Mid Grades such as Stanwell , Bari, Alphas and the sort. They all look great, smoke every bit as good as briars costing many times their price.

"THERE IS NO PRESTIGE IN OVERPAYING"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Number of posts: 7934
Location: Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Tobacco: John Middleton Walnut, Prince Albert, GLP Cumberland, C&D Exhausted Rooster , add Carter Hall to the mix, as well as Perfection Plug Burley
Pipe: Brissetts, Kaywoodies
Registration date: 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!   Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:21 am

One of my best smokers is a Stanwell Rondo bent danish egg. It is the only Stanwell that I have right now and I smoke it at least a couple of times a week, sometimes more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
tranders

Number of posts: 34
Registration date: 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!   Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:27 am

I love that shape.

Congratulations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Number of posts: 1860
Registration date: 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!   Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:06 am

Never heard anyone say anything but complimentary remarks about Stanwell. FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A Stanwell Pipe Review! or In Praise of Mid Grades!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1