HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Empty
PostSubject: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:10 pm

I learned that I hate staining, It is a Royal pain to sand enough to see the grain but not too much to take too much stain off. I call it a brandy scoop nose warmer.

Here are the process pics, its finished and I'll get a final up when I get a chance. Cut the stem in half and carved my own button out of it. Please give me any criticism , I like to learn where I could improve.

3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Diy110
3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Diy210
3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Diy310
3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Diy410
3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Diy_510
3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Diy610
3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Diy710

Last edited by i.keenum on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
the rev

the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm

that is a really nice pipe for your third. You really need to get to the pipe makers forum, so much help and encouragement. You definitely have an eye for it

rev
Back to top Go down
http://revspipes.com
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Looks like we have another artisan in the making!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 pm

That's a remarkable effort, coming from someone who has cut himself while slicing a banana on his breakfast cereal Smile I can also see why carvers are often open to a production method. What if the carver just doesn't like to do a particular step(s)?
Back to top Go down
IndySmoker

Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Looks like some nice birdseye on the last picture. I'm curious to see the button work.
Back to top Go down
williamcharles

williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Good on you Ian! NICE!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Cool

What a Face
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Looks good! You're doing lots of things right already. I agree with Rev. Head on over to the maker's forum if you want to learn more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks guys, here is a picture of the finished product. For some reason the straight grain took the stain but the birds eye would not take the stain at all. (used fiebings mixed with everclear)

3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. F110

3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. F210
Back to top Go down
williamcharles

williamcharles

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Good job Ian. It reminds me of some Dutch made pipes I've seen.
Back to top Go down
somedumbjerk

somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 8:22 pm

heat up the stummel with a hair dryer or low temp heat gun for a while, then try to stain it again, the birdseye will probably take better then. looks really really good! especially for a 3rd pipe! congrats!
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks have to try that. It has some great birds eye but wouldn't take the stain.
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:33 am

Nice work. cheers
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 5:30 am

That is gorgeous, only your third attempt at pipe making as well, simply astounding work, bravo, I'm gonna post about my first sort of attempt soon so you can have a snigger at my one. lol!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Really cool, Ian. Very Happy The stem looks like it may be a tad uncomfortable, but the shape of it relative to the pipe is just right. Go hang out with these goobers over on the maker's forum and you'll be knockin' out briar like a champ. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Ok, so had to redo the pipe. I have a love hate relationship with any art I make. I constantly want to rework / redo to change or make better what may have been good, but this time I think it definitely came out for the better. Other times I whittle away whatever I'm working on to nothing in the name of perfection. Twisted Evil Meh, such is the pains of an artist. Rolling Eyes 

I added a bamboo ring that I took form the top of a candle my wife had, deepened the tenon hole on the pipe since I took off a good bit of stummel length, chamferred the tenon, redid the button, and reshaped the stummel.

3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Pic110

3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Pic210

3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. Pic310
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Oh yes, that looks absolutely wonderful now, was totally awesome to begin with but now, yes yes yes, gorgeous, bravo my friend. cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Looks like the makers will outnumber the smokers before long. Wink

Very nice. Looking forward to the stain and finish.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I can't say much for the sunglasses but, the pipe looks good!
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 3:09 am

Kind of terrified of stain tried it earlier and didn't come out too well. Need to get over to the makers forum and get some info on staining. Thanks for the compliments! might fine her up some more ,not sure if I want to tackle staining just yet.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 3:29 am

To bring the grain out nice heat the stummel with a hair dryer on HOT (put a dummy stem in to help prevent warping of the mortice face from the heat) and use a dark brown stain, give it a liberal coating, wash that off using ISO to leave enough to bring the grain out then stain to what ever colour you like.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:10 am

i.keenum wrote:
Thanks have to try that. It has some great birds eye but wouldn't take the stain.
Did you flame it?
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 10:19 am

Haven't tried heat gun yet , only have fiebings black. Going to try the hair drier on some spare pieces I have from the same block to see how it reacts.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.   3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 12:10 pm

riff raff wrote:
i.keenum wrote:
Did you flame it?
Setting fire to the stain on the stummel does indeed work but not necessarily in the way one might want, if you want to hide flaws in the wood then 'flaming' works very well but if you want the grain to still show then this is precisely what you don't want to do, all depends on the result one wants I suppose. Wink 
Back to top Go down

3rd pipe. First time I have done stem work.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: