HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The agony of choice - W.I.P.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

The agony of choice - W.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 5:35 am

This is the second project pipe Paul sent me and I have to say this one has me really excited yet at the same time more than a little daunted.

I spent considerable time trying to see what sort of shape wants to emerge from this piece of wood whilst considering the shaping Paul has already done.

Something there is screaming Ramses, I get this because I wanted to be able to keep as much of the existing base Briar as possible. I am probably over reaching my abilities here as I don't have the sort of equipment required for such detailed work but I would love to be able to pull it off.

Of course Paul was aiming for a simple Bent Billiard by the looks of things but as I say, I would like to keep more of the Briar intact if possible.

This is how it looked to begin with:

The agony of choice - W.I.P. IMG_1878_zps93464bc2

The agony of choice - W.I.P. IMG_1877_zps70ed9bc6

The agony of choice - W.I.P. IMG_1865_zps63d6feda

The agony of choice - W.I.P. IMG_1864_zps34b8f991

Work began...........

Well, Jim suggested a Cup & Saucer and I was quite intrigued by the idea but I really rather wanted to try to get a Ramses sort of thing from it so I could keep more of the base of the block intact.

I have opted for a truly home-grown shape and step outside of the norms, I really love some of the pipes that Downie carves, his take on radical variants of known shapes are nothing short of fabulous. Now I aint a carver like him and I am far from experienced in working with Briar so my effort is a million miles away from work by experienced carvers but I am petty pleased with how it is going. I have decided to go with a sort of cross between a Ramses and a Cup & Saucer, like I said, this is a completely home-grown shape and isn't meant to look like anything in particular other than the shape I saw in the wood, love or hate it, it's what it is.

Here's after just about 6 hours of filing, the shape is nearly there:

The agony of choice - W.I.P. Stage1_zpsf86d9cdf

This is after about 2 hours of finishing off the filing and some rough sanding:

The agony of choice - W.I.P. Stage2_zps1c5c5876

I still have a long ways to go but I am very pleased with it so far, will post again when I am finished.
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 am

A very unique and quite interesting design you've got going on there, Kirk.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one comes out. Cool
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Well here she is, I still can't get my camera to take good photo's and I'll be if I can't keep the darn thing from shaking, some of the photo's aint so great, I'll take better ones tomorrow in the daylight.

The agony of choice - W.I.P. RamsesCup_zps5fa02905
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 6:19 pm

The agony of choice is certainly a good title, as I am sure it is really difficult to decide which direction to go next as you are carving and shaping. As with most creations, I am sure you learned some very valuable bits, which will make your next attempt a little easier.

I certainly would be proud were that my first pipe Kirk! She looks like a very high quality piece of briar, which will most likely break in wonderfully! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 4:18 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
A very unique and quite interesting design you've got going on there, Kirk.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one comes out. Cool

Thank you for being so kind Rob, I know it is a far cry from a well finished or even a well designed pipe but I love it. sunny
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 4:25 am

Dutch wrote:
The agony of choice is certainly a good title, as I am sure it is really difficult to decide which direction to go next as you are carving and shaping. As with most creations, I am sure you learned some very valuable bits, which will make your next attempt a little easier.

I certainly would be proud were that my first pipe Kirk! She looks like a very high quality piece of briar, which will most likely break in wonderfully! cheers cheers cheers

Very kind of you to be so generous in your praise Dutch, thank you.
I was fortunate that I already knew the shape I wanted before I started, I spent a great deal of time studying the Briar before I even considered getting started. I really wanted to make a Ramses style pipe but the shape of the Briar and the existing shaping made that impossible, Jim (Jimbo on SF) suggested a Cup & Saucer which held a modicum of interest for me but I really wanted to make a Ramses pipe, so I opted for a kind of mixture of the two, well, sort of, knowing how I wanted the pipe to look before I started helped immensely, I would imagine starting off not knowing where one was going with shaping a piece of wood could only end in misery. What ever the maybes are, I am very pleased with how it turned out, there are glaringly obvious errors in numerous places but as you say I have learnt a great deal from this experience. This is indeed a very costly piece of Briar, Paul (Larrysson Pipes) only ever uses the highest grade Briar, I was very lucky to be granted such lavish gifts from my dear friend and I will be eternally grateful for his kindness.
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 6:34 am

Sir,
I think you did a great job there the pipe have beautiful grain which you made stand out even more and for this being your first pipe I would dare say you are on the right road I give you cheers cheers cheers and I tip my hat to you sir.
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 am

Good looking pipe you've crafted!
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 5:16 am

Richard Hester wrote:
Sir,
I think you did a great job there the pipe have beautiful grain which you made stand out even more and for this being your first pipe I would dare say you are on the right road I give you cheers cheers cheers and I tip my hat to you sir.
Best Regards
Richard

Heya Richard, thank you for your kind words my friend, I have grand plans to make pipes for friends as gifts in the future, will just have to wait and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 5:17 am

Fatman wrote:
Good looking pipe you've crafted!

Heya John, thank you for the kind words my friend, means a lot to me.
Back to top Go down
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 4:20 am

Kirk,
Now all you need is a rocking chair to smoke that rocking chair of a pipe in and you got it made mate, nice work!
Back to top Go down
http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: The agony of choice - W.I.P.   The agony of choice - W.I.P. EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 4:50 am

So kind of you to say so banjo, I do know it's a gnarly job I did and that it could be a hundred times better and hopefully should I ever get the chance to do any more my abilities will improve, I'm good with it though, I do actually really like it, the bowl is a little too large for my baccy supplies so it wont get smoked for a good long time yet which is a bit of a pisser but that's just the way things are innit, I appreciate your being so gentle with me though, very kind of you. I love you
Back to top Go down

The agony of choice - W.I.P.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: