HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise" Empty
PostSubject: Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"   Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise" EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 4:22 am

So I now have 2 cobs so afflicted. How do I get the broken tenon out? It's a shame as the cobs are in good shape, issuing invitations to be smoked for years.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"   Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise" EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 5:24 am

The principles should be the same Buddy: http://millcrek.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/removing-a-broken-dowel-or-tenon/
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"   Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise" EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 6:13 am

Thanks Kirk, I'll give it a whirl!
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"   Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise" EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 7:56 am

Yup, that should work well. With the incredible difference in hardness of the tenon compared to how hard MM Cobs are, that shouldn't be hard to do at all.

Tip of the Day: Cobs love Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue, and vise versa. Cool
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"   Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise" EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 8:07 am

Or take a wood screw and screw it into the smoke hole until it holds and then carefully pull out the tenon.

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd

PostSubject: Re: Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"   Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise" EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 8:45 am

The easiest way to get a tenon out is with a wood screw of the approximate size. They are available that small at the hardware although my recollection on cobs is the tenon is comparatively large.

I suppose you could build a simple kit with a numbered drill matching a small screws basic size and drill tenons to that uniform size. But for a single one, I'd just haul it into the hardware and find the right screw.

With the screw in the tenon, grab it with pliers and remove.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"   Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise" EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 10:28 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
Thanks Kirk, I'll give it a whirl!

No worries my friend, hope it works for you. sunny
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"   Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise" EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 am

The Harris solution worked.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down

Removing Broken Tenon from Cob "Mortise"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: