DIY Pipe stain

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nick Fox

Nick Fox

Registration date : 2012-12-28

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey guys, can any of you recommend good sites for pipe stain or leather dye? I'm having trouble locating a B&M that sells in my area and I'm unimpressed with the selection on Amazon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Look up Tandy leather online. They have what you need.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 5:25 pm

When I was building muzzle loading rifles, I used potassium permanganate. Your druggist can get it for you. It really pops the grain. You can repeat to darken more. They are purple crystals that you dilute in water; it acts like aging when applied. Never tried it on briar but it worked on a lot of different woods.
Back to top Go down
TreverT

TreverT

Registration date : 2008-06-29

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Google for Feibing's Leather Dye - That's what's most commonly used, and they work really well. A couple of bottles will last you for years, maybe decades...
Back to top Go down
http://www.talbertpipes.com/
Nick Fox

Nick Fox

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 5:57 pm

thanks. Very Happy I forgot about Tandy Leather. That's by my parent's house. I'll check them out. Feibing's is what was on amazon. I was looking for a variety pack of colors to decided what stain to use.
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 6:28 pm

TreverT wrote:
Google for Feibing's Leather Dye - That's what's most commonly used, and they work really well. A couple of bottles will last you for years, maybe decades...

I'll +1 this. Feibing's works great.
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:12 pm

If possible try & buy old stock as the new formula is alcohol free to make it safe in schools & prisons. Can still be found & sometimes on for clearance prices. Just picked up 4 large bottles for 20 bucks apiece at Buckskin leather. In my opinion the older formula does alot better job and uses alot less product.
Back to top Go down
TreverT

TreverT

Registration date : 2008-06-29

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Hawker wrote:
If possible try & buy old stock as the new formula is alcohol free to make it safe in schools & prisons. Can still be found & sometimes on for clearance prices. Just picked up 4 large bottles for 20 bucks apiece at Buckskin leather. In my opinion the older formula does alot better job and uses alot less product.

That is interesting. Hadn't heard that. I did, however, notice that the last bottle of USMC Black that I got wasn't nearly as effective as it used to be, and was much lighter and thinner. I don't use black for much of my contrasts anymore so it wasn't a big deal, but I was wondering if I'd gotten a bad bottle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.talbertpipes.com/
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:37 pm

TreverT wrote:
Hawker wrote:

That is interesting. Hadn't heard that. I did, however, notice that the last bottle of USMC Black that I got wasn't nearly as effective as it used to be, and was much lighter and thinner. I don't use black for much of my contrasts anymore so it wasn't a big deal, but I was wondering if I'd gotten a bad bottle.

Some are stains & some are dyes but with both i prefer the old stock especially when working with hardwoods & leather.
Back to top Go down
Nick Fox

Nick Fox

DIY Pipe stain Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Pipe stain   DIY Pipe stain EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 am

Thanks guys, it means a lot to me. Any other advice on refinishing a pipe? I'm having a hard time deciding what color or colors to use. I'm bored with the browns, blacks, yellows, oranges and rustic/sandblast finishes. I want something that pops! Kinda like a black tiger's eye gemstone.
Back to top Go down

DIY Pipe stain
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: