HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

an unexpected treasure

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jacob the coldblooded

Jacob the coldblooded

Registration date : 2013-01-16

an unexpected treasure Empty
PostSubject: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyThu May 02, 2013 9:24 pm

So my grandfather is moving to north carolina and was going through some of the old stuff and found HIS fathers pipe tool... Today it was given to me. it's left with no engraving.. should i get it engraved with the family name or leave it blank?

an unexpected treasure Dscn6110

an unexpected treasure Dscn6111
Back to top Go down
http://www.advancedwildlife.com/
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyThu May 02, 2013 9:56 pm

what an amazing piece of family history!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:18 pm

cheers

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:29 pm

I would leave it the way it is.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyThu May 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Wow, you great-grandfathers pipe tool, what a treasure indeed. I have the same tool, found on Ebay last year. At first I thought leave it as found, but your great-grandfathers initials might look good.
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyThu May 02, 2013 11:08 pm

Harlock999 wrote:

I second this. I got one of my grandfathers infamous pocket knives when he passed away. I thought twice about restoring, it and should have thought 3 times. I spent a good long time making her look new again, and once I was complete it just didn't seem the same. I never ever saw his knives look new, he actually put them to good use. "Shiny" just isn't the way of a farmer....at least not that farmer. If I had it to do again, I would leave it alone and enjoy it exactly as I always remembered it.

Just my two cents.

PS. A very cool treasure indeed.
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
bentbulldog

bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyThu May 02, 2013 11:29 pm

This type of heirloom should be protected and displayed. It's not like you need another pipe tool. This however, is something you should hold onto, you may even have a campfire moment with your grandkids and pass this onto them.

I'd leave it as is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:10 am

You might think about building a little treasure chest for your treasure.

A nice wood box. Fit some foam and cover with fabric of your choice to hold it and then put the family info on a plaque on the box. It would be great provenance for your family treasure; and, a fun project.
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:19 am

A very cool piece of family history! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:30 am

Go with your gut feeling, did you wish it had your great grandfathers initials, name or family name when you first seen it. If you did so might the lucky one who you pass it on too.
Congrats on a fine tool and a great keep sake. cheers
Back to top Go down
Buckshot

Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:41 am

Harlock999 wrote:

I certainly agree with that! Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyFri May 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Nothing better than passing something down. LOVE IT!
Zach
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyFri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Just use it, care for it and pass it on when it's the time to. It's s tool, and as such should be used. I have my fathers 'v' cutter that he used on his cigars and I still use it.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyFri May 03, 2013 9:37 pm

What everyone else has said.

Laughing

Cheers,

RR

an unexpected treasure Purple11x 2an unexpected treasure Bombx10  an unexpected treasure Bombx7an unexpected treasure D6bddf10 an unexpected treasure 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Jacob the coldblooded

Jacob the coldblooded

Registration date : 2013-01-16

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptySat May 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you all, it sits on my pipe rack for now until I can make a nice box. I plan on using it (gently) since it is the only pipe tool I own. I also think I may leave it as is. I didn't know my great grandfather so this is the only thing I have from him accompanied by a few stories
Back to top Go down
http://www.advancedwildlife.com/
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Perhaps the only thing you should add to it is more history: use it, appreciate it, care for it, let it continue to develop even more character until it gets passed on to another family member down the road, with more stories attached.

An incredibly cool, sentimental heirloom. cheers

Cool
Back to top Go down
Jeffry Don

Jeffry Don

Registration date : 2013-06-28

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Very awesome!! cheers 
Me personally, if it is in as good of shape as it looks, I would get it engraved and use it all the time! I can't think of a better way to keep your grandfathers memory alive! But that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
stewartinsaudi

stewartinsaudi

Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: an unexpected treasure   an unexpected treasure EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Add your mark and pass it on to your scion.
Back to top Go down

an unexpected treasure
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: