HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Mason Jar Ambiance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Mason Jar Ambiance   Sat May 18, 2013 6:54 pm

I do a variation on that. I slit the platic on the wrap down the middle, stuff the jars and label them, I then use transparent strapping tape or posting tape to reseal the jars insde the original plastic wrap This way, I can still see what I have, it preserves th carboards separating the jars, the flats ate stackable, and each jar is snug and protected. Obviously I'm talking long-term storage here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Mason Jar Ambiance   Sat May 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Growley wrote:
My OCD would kick in big time if I had 50 different jar types running around. I like 'em the same, all alike and like each other. Very Happy The only way jam jars would work well for me is if they were all the same.

Sign me up for interior decorating I guess.

The other day my wife was putting the dishes away. We have one of those open cabinets where you store the plates vertically, so you can see each one. Well, we have blue plates and orange plates, and we ALWAYS arrange them, blue, orange, blue orange, and so on.

Well, as she was putting them away I noticed that she was taking the time to turn each plate so that the flowers were all facing up... 5) I said out loud, "I wish I hadn't seen you do that." She ask why. "Because I had never noticed the direction of the flowers before, but now that I have, it's going to drive me nuts if they're not the same."

I'm not always OCD....but when I am, I'm OCD about tobacco jars and plates. Very Happy

Brian, I see your OCD and raise you an I ONLY use Ball jars. I don't like Kerr and throw them away when one enters my house (or save them and swap them with my sister who really doesn't care what the brand is). Doesn't matter what I'm storing or preserving in the jars. I go with Ball.

How's that for OCD???
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Mason Jar Ambiance   Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm

monbla256 wrote:
gravel wrote:
I prefer to store my aging MCClelland in old Ketchup jars. Just wipe out the Ketchup and you're ready to store.

Aaahhhh A true afficionado Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I knew you would appreciate that! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Mason Jar Ambiance   Sun May 19, 2013 7:31 pm

I can relate to Kyle on this one - I have and use both.

Mason Jars for long-term storage and repurposed kitchen jars for short-term storage and regular use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Mason Jar Ambiance   Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 am

My preferred short-term storage solution is saved McClelland tins, the ones with the snug plastic tops. They stack easily, and access to the contents is convenient
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick Fox

Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Mason Jar Ambiance   Sat May 25, 2013 12:57 pm

I just inherited 3 boxes of mason jars (Ball, Kerr, Atlas, Hershey's, Magic Jar, etc...) their all really old and in really good condition. The only problem is the rings that thread to the jar are starting to rust or already have. Any possible ideas on how I can remedy it? (without buying new rings?) The wife is nervous about chemicals, as the jars will be for canned foods in addition to tobacco use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Mason Jar Ambiance   Sat May 25, 2013 1:21 pm

For canning, you only need the rings while cooling. Cooled causes the vacuum that must be present to preserve food. Make sure you understand the canning process and the sterilization process. The canning jar companies should have that info on their site.

For tobacco, a bit of rust on the ring isn't a biggy. Aging doesn't involve the use of a vacuum and the rings continue to play a part.

There is no "chemical" involved in this. The product is lightly coated zinc over mild steel. A wire brushing should make them usable. Uses one without rust in the area that contacts the lid.
Back to top Go down
Nick Fox

Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Mason Jar Ambiance   Sat May 25, 2013 6:02 pm

I suppose I should have been more clear, she was afraid of using something Like CLR on the rusted rings because she doesn't want chemicals in our food. But thanks for the wire brush idea. My father in law said sand paper and that seemed like too much work. I'm lazy... but a wire brush will be faster Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Mason Jar Ambiance   Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:41 pm

gravel wrote:
I prefer to store my aging MCClelland in old Ketchup jars. Just wipe out the Ketchup and you're ready to store.

God,...we got class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Mason Jar Ambiance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Tobacco Cellars & Smoking Rooms-
Jump to: