HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fun Horse Gift Project

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Fun Horse Gift Project Empty
PostSubject: Fun Horse Gift Project   Fun Horse Gift Project EmptyFri May 10, 2013 4:01 pm

No, the horse isn't getting the gift. The gift is a horse thing.

I stumbled onto this 'blade' on a website recently and used wood gifted me by a bro and a sis here. It was a Herders (manufacturer) hoof pick blade...just the steel...$15 shipped. Then I added a handle made from some really nice Oak Burl and a 'scabbard' from some Juniper.

It's for a family friend, a good friend of my daughters that we 'grew up' with over the years...from Kindergarten through High School. This is a High School grad gift...more a piece of 'folk art' that celebrates the gal's love of and dedication to caring for local horses. Hey! What more honorable thing could there be!

The wood has been 'colorized' in several areas...a hanger added (found in my parts bin, there for about 20 years)...the rawhide laces were wrapped and fixed with two kinds of glue (Gorilla and 30 min. clear epoxy). The Juniper was split and the interior gouged out to match the contour of the blade. The blade, when it arrived was totally black and cruddy, but cleaned up pretty well. There will be an inscription on the back of the scabbard prior to the gift wrap. She'll either roll her eyes, think it's weird or love it. Maybe all three!

Pics:

Fun Horse Gift Project HerdersHoofPick_zpsb137bb82

Fun Horse Gift Project DSCN2008_zps3a877181

Fun Horse Gift Project DSCN2031_zpsa0001ff1

Fun Horse Gift Project DSCN2028_zpsf8268544

Fun Horse Gift Project DSCN2022_zps5fa68e6c

Sorry, I don't know how to make these smaller. My bad.

Fun Horse Gift Project D6bddf10Fun Horse Gift Project 29400910Fun Horse Gift Project 114e6110Fun Horse Gift Project Ddb39b10Fun Horse Gift Project Cf77ce10Fun Horse Gift Project Dd692012Fun Horse Gift Project Cowboy13
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fun Horse Gift Project   Fun Horse Gift Project EmptyFri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm

I would call it a farrier's blade rather than a hoof pick blade. A hoof pick is a blunt question mark shaped tool used to clean gunk from the foot. That blade is used to trim the frog in making the hoof ready for a shoe.

Nice carving!

Herders is/was a supply house for such stuff. The typical farrier's knife came with a handle similar to a cheap store knife in wood. You've gone well beyond!!!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Fun Horse Gift Project   Fun Horse Gift Project EmptyFri May 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Hat's off to you. Farrier's Knife it be. I did a search on that term and came up with every configuration of knife possible from straight blade with stag handle to the hook blade form like this one.

I had to drill out the pin holes to even get them up to the 3/16" stock rod, which is the smallest I have around here. The steel was TOUGH! They must have tempered and hardened the entire piece of stock...ended up having to use a flexible shaft and carbide grinding tip. The blade edges were also dented slightly and no where near sharp, but they are now! Even though it's really meant to be a hanger, it should be sharp. Not scary sharp, but good old "outdoor sharp". lol

Copy from the site (World Knives) where I bought it:

"Herder's Hoof Knife Blade. 4" blade. Old blade from the Herder's factory in Solingen, Germany. Good condition but may show some tarnish. Some blades may not be stamped."

This are some of the photos of the blade on the World Knife site:

Fun Horse Gift Project Products-2407-3-large_Herders-Old-Horse-Hoof-Pick-Blade-Blank---HER48

Fun Horse Gift Project Products-2407-2-large_Herders-Old-Horse-Hoof-Pick-Blade-Blank---HER48

Fun Horse Gift Project D6bddf10Fun Horse Gift Project 29400910Fun Horse Gift Project 114e6110Fun Horse Gift Project Ddb39b10Fun Horse Gift Project Cf77ce10Fun Horse Gift Project Dd692012Fun Horse Gift Project Cowboy13
Back to top Go down

Fun Horse Gift Project
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: