HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

R.I.P. Douglas Adams

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Sun May 12, 2013 3:51 am

Twelve years ago we lost a great comedic genius.
    “There were three of them, three police cars left askew across the road in a way that transcended mere parking. It sent out a massive signal to the world saying that the law was here now taking charge of things, and that anyone who just had normal, good and cheerful business to conduct in Lupton Road could just fuck off.”

― Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
R.I.P. Douglas.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Sun May 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Laughing cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Sun May 12, 2013 3:05 pm

study cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Sun May 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Here's another one:
    “It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."
    "You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"
    "No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said Ford. "It is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in...”

— Douglas Adams, So Long And Thanks For All The Fish
It wouldn't be comedy if it weren't true. Of course, when you stop and think about it, the fact that it's true really isn't very funny at all. It's just stupid. The funny part is the belief that being ruled by a bunch of lizards is the best way...no, wait — the only way to do it. No one ever questions it. Now that's pretty good comedy.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Sun May 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Towel! More Towel!!!
Back to top Go down
Vito

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Sun May 12, 2013 5:20 pm

OK...here you go:
    “A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Sun May 12, 2013 7:31 pm

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.”

“So this is it," said Arthur, "We are going to die."
"Yes," said Ford, "except... no! Wait a minute!" He suddenly lunged across the chamber at something behind Arthur's line of vision. "What's this switch?" he cried.
"What? Where?" cried Arthur, twisting round.
"No, I was only fooling," said Ford, "we are going to die after all.”

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.”

Vito

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Sun May 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

I love that one! Laughing lol! cheers

Puff Daddy wrote:
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.”

The perspective from which this one makes a bunch of sense is not viewable from a place where ego is in the driver's seat. And Commitment to Principles™ also can make it doggone hard to see sometimes, especially when being wrong can get you killed. Or worse. But as I ripen (you know...like an old pu-erh cake), the wisdom of this one becomes clearer day by day.

Here's the irony of it. At first I thought, "Ah...so it means 'Be happy and keep your sanity'...er, right?" ...um, nope. As far as I can tell, "sanity" (which is relative anyway) and happiness have a tenuous connection at best. In fact, some of the happiest people I've ever known were bat-shit crazy.

In The Mysterious Stranger...
Mark Twain wrote:
"Are you so unobservant as not to have found out that sanity and happiness are an impossible combination? No sane man can be happy, for to him life is real, and he sees what a fearful thing it is. Only the mad can be happy..."

Besides, "madness" is relative to the societal context. As Akira Kurosawa observed in his classic film Ran, "In a mad world, only the mad are sane." On the whole, I'd say it's not too difficult to make the case that we're living in a mad world.

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Mon May 13, 2013 2:31 pm

I don't have my Ultimate HHG handy, but I can say there's a reason why on my porch during warm weather, I always have a bowl of petunias. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Max

Registration date : 2010-05-10

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Mon May 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I don't have my Ultimate HHG handy, but I can say there's a reason why on my porch during warm weather, I always have a bowl of petunias. Cool

To each his own, Kyle but for me I'd rather have a bowl of Frog Morton Cellar.

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Mon May 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Blue Max wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

To each his own, Kyle but for me I'd rather have a bowl of Frog Morton Cellar.

Smile

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Still more pleasant than Lakeland essence. cheers

Laughing

Good one.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick Fox

Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Mon May 13, 2013 11:38 pm

[/quote]
In fact, some of the happiest people I've ever known were bat-shit crazy.

In The Mysterious Stranger...[quote="Mark Twain"] "Are you so unobservant as not to have found out that sanity and happiness are an impossible combination? No sane man can be happy, for to him life is real, and he sees what a fearful thing it is. Only the mad can be happy..."

I'ya! I'ya! Cthulhu Fhtagn'!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Douglas Adams   Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Just keep your eye out for falling whales.

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Douglas Adams
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1