HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Relocation Guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Relocation Guide   Sun May 12, 2013 5:08 am

Planning to move to another state? Here's a helpful guide. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Relocation Guide   Sun May 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Oregon wins for having the most coastline, best overall weather and lowest PPG? 🤷 Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Relocation Guide   Sun May 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Actually, Oregon is one of the places I'm considering, Kyle. Wyoming has the lowest beerular PPG, but unfortunately the winter thermometer in all the most attractive places is correspondingly low. I don't like my beer that cold. No

Oregon is much better if you're near the coast...but not so near that you have to pay attention to the tsunami warnings. If one of those hits, it'd be a bit too damp for my bones.

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Relocation Guide   Sun May 12, 2013 10:10 pm

Well as far as WA state is concerned, our new Lib Governor wants to stick it to the craft brewing community.

The upshot is that those brewers producing 60,000 bbl/yr or less have been paying around $8/bbl and he wants to do away with the small brewer exemption and raise it to over $23/bbl which is the rate for over 60,000!!! This would severely cripple our industry and our state brewers guild is very active in fighting this.

So far the negotiations between the state House and Senate for the new budget were deadlocked, but they resume tomorrow. The Dem controlled house wants the taxes and the Rep controlled Senate opposes them.

Washington's roughly 200 small brewers employ in the neighborhood of 3500 people. These are local people working for predominantly locally-owned companies, which in turn support local Washington growers of hops and barley. Because of this concentration of beer production-related bounty, Washington is vulnerable to such a tax increase in ways that no other state would be. Brewers in other states would better be able to secure the ingredients needed to produce beers of character, better able to market these beers in our state and elsewhere, and better able to reinvest in their own breweries, and to create jobs in their own local areas. This tax hike doesn't just threaten to raise prices, it threatens the entire Washington craft beer industry.

Why you ask? Out of state brewers could hold the line on their wholesale prices and make a lower margin, where in state brewers would have to pass this cost on through the chain. And then the retail accounts would have the advantage of less expensive out of state breweries to fill the gap and make more profit.

Those of us who are struggling for market share would simply throw in the towel. Others would slowly suffocate. But the Governor doesn't see the logic.

This could indeed spell the end of WA craft brewers, opening the door to out of state brewers who already have a foothold here.

Bad juju.

Mad

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Relocation Guide   Sun May 12, 2013 11:44 pm

RR:

The same thing has been happening in California for the last 20 to 30 years. Manufacturers have fled the state to escape the punitive taxation and regulation. It shows in the unemployment numbers, and it's getting worse. So are the taxes. Jeez...do you suppose there's a connection? Duh...

I expect that the victims in other states can chime in with similar tales of plunder by the elected goonery that afflicts them too.

Here's the part I don't get—and I honestly don't mean this in any way as a partisan political remark. With a few temporary downticks here and there, the tax burden on every man, woman, and child in these United States has been unidirectlonally upward ever since...well, ever since the beginning. The tax burden that drove the original colonists toward independence was a pittance compared to what we're saddled with today. When do we say "Enough, dammit!"?

Forget party politics. This isn't a partisan political issue. BOTH the Democans and the Republicrats have done their share of the thievery. The difference is that the Dems say it's a good thing, and the Reps claim it's a bad thing (...and then they impose new taxes anyway). But the effects are still just as destructive no matter what they say.

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Relocation Guide   Mon May 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Veet, I'd vote for Oregon for ya because occasionally I find myself there on vacation, camping along the coast... you'd have myself and quite a few others of a pipeful nature to possibly run into! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Relocation Guide   Tue May 14, 2013 1:20 am

Running into fellow pipers would definitely be in the plus column for me, Kyle. Not such a big attraction for Mrs. Vito, but there are many factors to consider.

Actually, one of the main contenders right now is Arizona...the northern part, specifically. I've spent a bunch of time in the Oak Creek Canyon area, and I love it there. They have actual seasons, but the winters aren't too cold, and the summers aren't too hot. Gorgeous countryside.

Back to top Go down
HCraven

Registration date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Relocation Guide   Tue May 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Well as far as WA state is concerned, our new Lib Governor wants to stick it to the craft brewing community.

The upshot is that those brewers producing 60,000 bbl/yr or less have been paying around $8/bbl and he wants to do away with the small brewer exemption and raise it to over $23/bbl which is the rate for over 60,000!!! This would severely cripple our industry and our state brewers guild is very active in fighting this.

So far the negotiations between the state House and Senate for the new budget were deadlocked, but they resume tomorrow. The Dem controlled house wants the taxes and the Rep controlled Senate opposes them.

Washington's roughly 200 small brewers employ in the neighborhood of 3500 people. These are local people working for predominantly locally-owned companies, which in turn support local Washington growers of hops and barley. Because of this concentration of beer production-related bounty, Washington is vulnerable to such a tax increase in ways that no other state would be. Brewers in other states would better be able to secure the ingredients needed to produce beers of character, better able to market these beers in our state and elsewhere, and better able to reinvest in their own breweries, and to create jobs in their own local areas. This tax hike doesn't just threaten to raise prices, it threatens the entire Washington craft beer industry.

Why you ask? Out of state brewers could hold the line on their wholesale prices and make a lower margin, where in state brewers would have to pass this cost on through the chain. And then the retail accounts would have the advantage of less expensive out of state breweries to fill the gap and make more profit.

Those of us who are struggling for market share would simply throw in the towel. Others would slowly suffocate. But the Governor doesn't see the logic.

This could indeed spell the end of WA craft brewers, opening the door to out of state brewers who already have a foothold here.

Bad juju.

Mad

No Cheers,

RR

There's that giant sucking sound again, and it's not people sipping their beer. Seriously, do this idiot pols EVER consider the results of their never-ending greed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Relocation Guide   Tue May 14, 2013 12:56 pm

HCraven wrote:
There's that giant sucking sound again, and it's not people sipping their beer. Seriously, do this idiot pols EVER consider the results of their never-ending greed?
Considering the fact that they usually exempt themselves from the tons of legislation they inflict on us, I'd say they're pretty well insulated from the consequences of their actions...so, I'd have to say no. I suspect that most of them don't pay much attention to the results of the games they play with other people's lives and property.

But there are always exceptions. Sure...it's tempting to say that they're all just a bunch of heartless, brainless, dickless, gutless, insatiably power-loving vermin, but one should not make sweeping generalizations. It appears that some of them are not dickless, as evidenced by the sex scandals that occasionally come to light.

Back to top Go down

Relocation Guide
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1