HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

refinished an old estate

Go down 
AuthorMessage
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: refinished an old estate   Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm

had a thermofilter estate pipe that i got out of a lot. shellac and long stem with a filter tenon. paid $20 and got six pipes and a stand a while ago with the purpose of refinishing the pipes. had a nice peterson in it so i went for it. this pipe i pulled out as an experiment in rustication. i wanted to try a new method and wouldn't be sad if the pipe turned out to be worthless afterwords.

here is what it looked like before. this isn't my picture, but it's the same shape and finish as when i started

here is after rustication/staining

turned out pretty nice, so i had the local pipe repair guy restem it for me. i don't have a tenon cutter so it was easier going to him, plus the guy isn't working right now so i try and give him some business when i can.

so now i have a sweet pocket pipe!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick Fox

Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: refinished an old estate   Thu May 16, 2013 3:39 am

What process did you use to generate that texture? I've been thinking of doing something similar to a cheap garage sale ting that's seen better days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: refinished an old estate   Thu May 16, 2013 8:24 am

Would you please share the stains and finish used?

Back to top Go down
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: refinished an old estate   Sun May 19, 2013 10:38 am

I used a Phillips head screw driver that I cut a slit in to give it four points, and the stain is the red stain from pimo, and a little black stain from pimo. I them melted some carnauba wax on it with a heat gun and blotted off the excess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

refinished an old estate
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: