HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs   Fri May 24, 2013 5:11 am

I have watched a few documentarys recently that I really enjoyed, and thought I would share them with you guys who are interested in this type career or hobby. They say that nowdays, the average age of a tradesman is in his mid fifties, and that the demand for these type jobs will continue to increase. In most cases, you are not going to get rich being a craftsman, but it can be a very enjoyable and rewarding job to create something with your hands, and stand back and admire the finished product.

When you have time to sit down and settle in with a good pipe, check out some of these documentary's on the rewards of being a craftsman.....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/326776

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozCdCdGOliE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTR2EWEW2E
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs   Sat May 25, 2013 6:20 am

Thanks Dutch,
Most young folk have no idea the "life rewards" that come from being a craftsman. Knowing you have a talent that you control is the best self-satisfying feeling that a person can have, with no limit on accomplishment. Seems to be becoming a lost art.
Thanks for the trip back to better times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs   Sat May 25, 2013 9:04 am

I have enjoyed being a "craftsmen" or at least making the attempt. Never considered myself more than a backyard version. The drawback is, in part, based on the old saw, "A craftsmen is known by his tools." and, as a hobbyist, tools are often a real limitation. I built locks from kits for my muzzle loading rifle building but that never gave me what I wanted and having my own forge was beyond reason or skill. Too many compromises to truly call it craftsmanship.

My grandfather ran a machine shop and was the son of a blacksmith. I could never be as "handy" as he. Crafting is often a lifetime search -- certainly one of its appeals. For most of us the day-to-day interferes. But it still has a lot of gratification that is hard to find in our modern world where we try to cover gratification at the mall.

I'd recommend everyone pick up one of those $30 pipe kits and give it a go. We won't end up with a $1ooo retail item but should get a smoker we can look at and think it turned out better than we thought it might.
Back to top Go down
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs   Sat May 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Dutch, thanks for the links.
I started with the blacksmith video and couldn't stop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs
Page 1 of 1