HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs   Fri May 24, 2013 5:11 am

I have watched a few documentarys recently that I really enjoyed, and thought I would share them with you guys who are interested in this type career or hobby. They say that nowdays, the average age of a tradesman is in his mid fifties, and that the demand for these type jobs will continue to increase. In most cases, you are not going to get rich being a craftsman, but it can be a very enjoyable and rewarding job to create something with your hands, and stand back and admire the finished product.

When you have time to sit down and settle in with a good pipe, check out some of these documentary's on the rewards of being a craftsman.....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/326776

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozCdCdGOliE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTR2EWEW2E
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs   Sat May 25, 2013 6:20 am

Thanks Dutch,
Most young folk have no idea the "life rewards" that come from being a craftsman. Knowing you have a talent that you control is the best self-satisfying feeling that a person can have, with no limit on accomplishment. Seems to be becoming a lost art.
Thanks for the trip back to better times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs   Sat May 25, 2013 9:04 am

I have enjoyed being a "craftsmen" or at least making the attempt. Never considered myself more than a backyard version. The drawback is, in part, based on the old saw, "A craftsmen is known by his tools." and, as a hobbyist, tools are often a real limitation. I built locks from kits for my muzzle loading rifle building but that never gave me what I wanted and having my own forge was beyond reason or skill. Too many compromises to truly call it craftsmanship.

My grandfather ran a machine shop and was the son of a blacksmith. I could never be as "handy" as he. Crafting is often a lifetime search -- certainly one of its appeals. For most of us the day-to-day interferes. But it still has a lot of gratification that is hard to find in our modern world where we try to cover gratification at the mall.

I'd recommend everyone pick up one of those $30 pipe kits and give it a go. We won't end up with a $1ooo retail item but should get a smoker we can look at and think it turned out better than we thought it might.
Back to top Go down
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs   Sat May 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Dutch, thanks for the links.
I started with the blacksmith video and couldn't stop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Craftsman Have Some of the Most Rewarding Jobs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: