HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

YOU. BIG. DUMMY.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 pm

YOU
BIG
DUMMY

Woke up with a start today and looked at the clock. Brain said it was 5 min to the alarm so brain said "just get up". This I did, and proceeded to go through the normal preparing for work procedures.

So I was well into my coffee, when I realized I had gotten up a full hour earlier than normal. D'OH!

Too late to go back to bed, so just got on with things. Put in an "extra" hr at the brewery, but it turned out to be productive so no regrets there.

Guess I'm gonna be a bit tired earlier tonight tho........

YOU

BIG

DUMMY

(seriously, anyone else ever done this? Second time for me!)

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:45 pm

I hate it when that happens!

Many years ago, when I was an avid shortwave listener, I somehow mistook the time on my shortwave (set to GMT) for my alarm clock. I was finished with breakfast before I realized there were still 5 hours before my alarm. . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 pm

I've gotten up at 2 or 3 am and doing the same;).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:20 am

I got up and did the morning routine and hopped into my car and drove the 87 miles to work. I went into the office and went to sign the "sign in" sheet, only to find that my name was somehow missing. I went to the Supervisor and he said it must be an error, "just write your name in on the bottom". OK, I did that. I then went to my office and the fellas in there looked at me funny (more than they usually do). One of them asked if I was lost. The other one asked if I had switched my day off. I said no. He said, "You do realize it is Saturday?"......it was my day off! affraid

The Supervisor let me stay and finish the shift. He rearranged my schedule and moved my day off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:52 am

If I get out of bed an hour early (by mistake), I just consider that I have just received another hour of life to live if you follow my logic!

Last edited by bosun1 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Those of us who don't get much sleep and you know who you are....first pipe of the day starts at 4AM. The birds and critters aren't even up yet but the silence is WONDERFUL. Just me and the pipe. Right aj?

Slightly off thread, but I'm among friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm

You are just practicing for reaching "full maturity" where being up when it wasn't really your desire becomes closer to the norm.
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

PostSubject: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks for the clarification...I was getting worried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:32 pm

I don't generally use alarm clocks. Once the teenage ruffian of tardiness, devil-may-care about life and career, I'm now able to program myself the night before to wake up when I need to. Usually it's about two hours before whatever it is I need to do. I prefer hours from about 11pm/12am to about 6am. That's my favorite schedule. Sadly, with an irregular job, regular hours are hard to keep. Sometimes I'm up until 3am doing something random and then waking up at 6am, or I'll get super tired at 10pm and wake up at 10am. Regular work is a godsend for keeping a halfway-decent sleep schedule.

For the rare times I require alarm clocks, often I wake up about an hour to two hours beforehand. This is because I've had some really cheap alarm clocks that were totally unreliable and they made me paranoid.

These days, I use the extra time to leisurely smoke a pipe, watch the sun rise, sip a cup of tea and listen to some music. One man's curse is the blessing of another, I suppose. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Ya usually happens to me on a Saturday when my three year wants to wake me up at six by sitting on my head after I stayed up to three , because that's what time we wake him up during the week. Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Other wise I'm a hit the alarm five times kinda guy. geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Several years ago I worked as a machinist. The company was sold and for the last three years of its existence I worked 4AM - 4PM seven days a week. Had to be up and on the road at 3AM to get there on time. When the place closed it left me wandering the house at three AM for at least 3 months. It was an odd feeling but like several others here I enjoyed a pipe while watching the sun rise.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:04 pm

mark wrote:
Several years ago I worked as a machinist. The company was sold and for the last three years of its existence I worked 4AM - 4PM seven days a week. Had to be up and on the road at 3AM to get there on time. When the place closed it left me wandering the house at three AM for at least 3 months. It was an odd feeling but like several others here I enjoyed a pipe while watching the sun rise.

I worked fifteen years in a row at a factory. Retired. After seven months I'm finally getting so I can sleep at night!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:20 pm

Interesting posts. Looks like I'm not alone on the sleep/wake thing.

Funny what the body gets used to. I normally start to wake up about 1/2 hr before the alarm goes off. Thus, the impetus to get up and get 'er done!

What sucks is on the days off. Laying in bed is a problem, and I really don't sleep beyond a certain point. So I just get up and get on with it.

Can't justify a bowl before work. Pity, that!

Surprised

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 pm

What I hate is when I wake up an hour or two before the alarm is set to go off and I can't, no matter what I do, go back to sleep.
Might as well get up and do something constructive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 pm

One truly glorious aspect of being retired is I can take naps whenever the urge to comes along. Very Happy

The sixteen hours "up," eight hours asleep pattern, IMO, has more to do with managing people in groups than it does with natural human biorythms.

E.g., the afternoon siesta.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Have been waking up btwn 3 to 4 am for over 30 years to get to work and it's taken me almost the first full year of mt "retirement" to get that changed. Sadly, my kittehs clock hasn't so it's up by 4 am, feed the puddy's and go back to bed till 7 or 8 am. And bein' home with the kittehs all day now has made me realize how smart they are, they take NAPS Twisted Evil And now I do Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

PostSubject: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:28 am

Been missing you the past few days, Yak....glad to see you back (or if you never left, back responding).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

PostSubject: TOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:32 am

monbla256 wrote:
And bein' home with the kittehs all day now has made me realize how smart they are, they take NAPS Twisted Evil And now I do Twisted Evil

Follow your critters actions...they are smarter than us..you'll learn their patterns, and it will all make sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlG

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:38 am

I go to bed late, can't sleep, eventually fall asleep and then oversleeps. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:49 am

I've become semi-nocturnal.
I almost never get to sleep before four.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:49 am

Siestas work. I'm a believer. Wink

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:52 am

Yak wrote:
One truly glorious aspect of being retired is I can take naps whenever the urge to comes along. Very Happy

The sixteen hours "up," eight hours asleep pattern, IMO, has more to do with managing people in groups than it does with natural human biorythms.

E.g., the afternoon siesta.

What a Face

You betcha!
Feel like taking a nap..I just tell the wife so she can find me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:32 am

We did that at a hotel last year, flying to FL on a 6 AM flight. I always set my phone alarm, and never really use the hotel clock. I woke up and glanced over at the nightstand clock which said 5 AM. Yikes! Since we wanted to BE at the airport at 5 AM, I leaped out of bed, threw the wife out and we scrambled to get ready. In the cab on the way over, I noticed it was only 3 AM.... The nightstand clock was set three hours fast..........We caught a few winks in an uncomfortable airport chair before the flight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlG

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm with you, MrE! And the longer the better!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: YOU. BIG. DUMMY.   Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:47 pm

I get up when I wake up. On those rare occasions when I use the alarm clock, I usually wake up before it sounds, and I just get up. No point in lollygaggin' around...

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html

YOU. BIG. DUMMY.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next