HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Rattlers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Rattlers   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:38 pm

We've lived in our home since 1987. Until last July, we had never seen a rattlesnake anywhere except in the nearby wilderness area (there's one street between it and us). Last summer, Mrs. Vito was working in the garden by the 6' slumpstone wall dividing our property from the neighbor behind us. At one point, she stood up and right there 3 feet from her face was a rattler coiled up. The rattle was shaking but she could barely hear it...meaning it's a young snake...the worst kind. They shoot all their venom at once. She got the hell outa there, pronto.

I put a big box at the base of the wall, got a shovel, and pulled the snake off the wall with it. The rattler dropped into the box, I closed the flaps, taped it shut, and called L.A. County Animal Control. They showed up and took the snake into the wilderness area and released it.

A few weeks ago, we had another one. This time it was crawling around in the yard. Cat was freaked. Kids were freaked. Mrs. Vito was freaked, so I sent her in to call Animal Control while I kept my eye on the snake's whereabouts. The guy showed up and used a grabber to snag the snake. "What are you going to do with it?", I asked. "Turn it loose in the wilderness area", he said.

Hmmm...

As it turns out, there has been an increase in the rattler population in California over the past couple of years. No one seems to know why. But I'm being real careful about where I walk now. Shocked

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:25 pm

i've heard told they're good eatin' and the skins are worth some money.

can you 'hunt' them on your property or is that verboten?

doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Mr. Doody wrote:

doody.

I once lived in Sweetwater, Texas which calls itself the Rattlesnake Capitol of the World and they have a "Rattlesnake Round-Up" every year and you can see hundreds of 'em which folks bring in and they have prizes for biggest, most rattles etc. and they sell rattlesnake for eating as well as rattles, skins etc. for keepsakes. Vito lives in California so I would imagine as PC as they are out there he can't hunt 'em like we can here in Texas. It can be a dangerous thing to do if you don't really know what you are doing though.If you leave them alone, they usually leave you alone. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:26 pm

monbla256 wrote:
If you leave them alone, they usually leave you alone. Twisted Evil

This. Nevada has smaller, and far more nasty rattlers than those I've come across elsewhere in the bush, probably because they have to fight for a living here a bit more between cold and hot. They'll stand their ground, but won't strike.

Unless I'm on a ridge or a steep slope where one is totally in my path with no alternative, or obstructs my work, I leave 'em alone. It's their home and I'm a visitor.

They tend to stay out of most urban/suburban areas around here.

They are good eatin' though. Nothing like a skinned/gutted/beheaded snake. a little garlic salt, a long stick and an open fire. Haven't done that in a long time. Tasty and healthy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Quote :

They are good eatin' though. Nothing like a skinned/gutted/beheaded snake. a little garlic salt, a long stick and an open fire. Haven't done that in a long time. Tasty and healthy.

Ate several "rattler" meals while "attending" USAF Desert Survival School. "Tastes just like chicken!!!!" FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Perhaps it's my connoisseur's tongue, but snake, especially rattler, is different than chicken. The consistency is a mixture between a firm-fleshed fish, and rabbit. Much leaner. Slightly...reptilian, for lack of a better term.

In butter, sauteed, it tastes like chicken. Deep-fried, it tastes like chicken. Boiled simply or over an open fire it allows the subtlety of "snake" to come through. I think that's why most people get the "chicken" nuances from snake--when you prepare chicken a particular way, and then something like snake the same (or rabbit, gopher, squirrel) sure...it tastes like chicken.

So says the Nevada Trash Gourmet. tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Quote :
So says the Nevada Trash Gourmet.
LMAO.

doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Mr. Doody wrote:

doody.
Not verboten. Rattlers aren't an endangered species. I don't mind calling Animal Control to get 'em outa here. The last time the guy who came and fetched the snake said, "It's OK if you want to just kill them."

I generally prefer not to kill things, but Mrs. Vito has had enough. She's a native Californian whose family has owned a cattle ranch in the Mojave since the 1800s. She knows how to use a shovel, and it will be sayonara snakey if another one shows up.

Back to top Go down
Mr. Doody

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 am

even the reptiles have to abide by the rule: "don't piss off the lady of the house" :-) .

doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:55 am

I sense a delicious ending to this story in the not so distant future. Or, you could just look into buying a honey badger off the black market...problem solved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:00 am

kaiser83 wrote:
I sense a delicious ending to this story in the not so distant future. Or, you could just look into buying a honey badger off the black market...problem solved.
I'm not sure I'm up to the task of domesticating one of those li'l buggers. They seem to do pretty much what they want, as shown here.

Back to top Go down
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Take 10 minutes & build a proper pole snake catcher, catch all you can, BBQ to your tastes & don't call animal control or tell anyone what you have done and feel better that every one you eat is one that can't reproduce to add to your problem. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Hawker wrote:
Take 10 minutes & build a proper pole snake catcher, catch all you can, BBQ to your tastes & don't call animal control or tell anyone what you have done and feel better that every one you eat is one that can't reproduce to add to your problem. Laughing Laughing
(Psssstt...shhhhh...don't tell anyone, but I've already built one... )

I can neither confirm nor deny any rumors or assertions that what you'll be eating at the next BBQ "tastes like chicken". Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm gonna smell that snake roasting clear up in the Great Basin and make hot-tracks down to it, you know.

Cool <----(party crasher) cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I'm gonna smell that snake roasting clear up in the Great Basin and make hot-tracks down to it, you know.

Cool <----(party crasher) cheers
Har! That would have to be a mighty slow roast, Kyle, unless you've got a turbojet.

Plan B is to make snake jerky out of it. In that case, I'll call you a week before it's ready.

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rattlers   Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Vito wrote:
Har! That would have to be a mighty slow roast, Kyle, unless you've got a turbojet.

Plan B is to make snake jerky out of it. In that case, I'll call you a week before it's ready.

Yer speakin' my language, brother. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rattlers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: