HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Late-night pipe smoking locales

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:01 am

Gravel has a point, in fact he has several, but I think the anti's have had for more than their fair share of dictating tobacco policy and practices. That the OP feels badly that his neighbors close their door when he lights up is to a certain extent aiding and abetting. Pipe smoke although the most fragrant of tobacco smoke can be found objectionable. It is anyone's right to govern what they breathe. But give me a break, it's not as if a pipe smoker is filling the air with some stink weed cigar. Appreciating their "aroma" is an acquired taste, usually by the cigar smokers themselves:).

Brewdude: thank you for your support:).
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:30 am

Just celebrated 18 years with my wife and yes I smoke in the house with no complaints.  Yep I got a good women.  

My neighbor in Georgia did not have that privilege.  So he parked the truck in the driveway and put in a carpet, chairs, beer fridge, radio and a tv in the garage and turned it into the air commando lounge (yeah he was an ex-C-130 flight engineer).   During the winter he would drop a space heater that worked well enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 pm

I agree with gravel. A happy wife is a happy life. My wife is a beautiful and amazing person, and a wonderful mother to my two lovely daughters.

I'll smoke outdoors or in the garage when it's windy out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Well, it's been half a year. I've adjusted since my original post, smoking in the garage. The benefits being light, power, no wind, and general comfort. However, it's still cold.

I have finally gotten over a recent mild head cold, so it's been a week since I had a smoke. Since then the weather has been unseasonably cold here in the SF bay area, getting down to freezing at night.

I've come to the same point I was back earlier this year wondering if there's any way around being outside. I started using a parabolic dish space heater, but it's not really meant for as large a space as a garage so it only heats my knees. I also have been using a fan to draw the smoke out the garage door, but that creates its own draft. I used to think I could tolerate cold fairly well being a warm-bodied person, but it seems that those days may be behind me since taking up smoking in the garage.

Any other advice besides just smoking in the house (which is not an option) and not smoking at all?  No 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:41 pm

You're (happily, I read!) whipped, I'd just quit smoking.  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveS

Location : Where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars.
Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:53 pm

daveinlax wrote:
You're (happily, I read!) whipped

There ARE other possibilities ... one of my sons lives in an apartment complex where indoor smoking is verboten .... another COULD smoke indoors at his place, but chooses not to do so because he has a young daughter and feels it might not be good for her ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:35 pm

*sigh* I should've stated, I didn't want to bring up the "whipped, ball-and-chain, wife/boss" discussion again. I regret not putting that out there.

I'm just trying to solve a problem with known constraints; the wife is not the problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:48 pm

mejoshee wrote:
the wife is not the problem.
LOL! I know, I know So Sorry! It's the guitar, you don't want to foul your guitar. Like I said I'd just quit.  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Electric or wool socks and a ski hat.

When my feet & head are warm I enjoy the winter night smokes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Ok, ok. Been spending the last couple days trying to come up with a good solution for our whisky club nights for the smoking portion (2nd half basically). I will open up the garage door halfway, using a fan to draw out the smoke, and pick up one of the forced air heater "cannons" from HD.

I expect there will be at least 5-6 smokers tonight, so I'll hopefully have good feedback after this about its success. Stay tuned!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Fingerless gloves are nice too.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trifecta13

Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:40 pm

I too am a garage smoker, and I use two heaters (one forced air electric, one radiant). They tend to do the job unless it drops below 30 degrees outside. Sadly, that seems to be the trend these days. I'll have to look into the electric socks, Drums. What tends to be worse than cold for me is 100+ degree days in the summer. I've been thinking of getting a window air conditioner for the garage, and depending on the way our summer shapes up, this might be the year. Bless the Midwest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:39 am

Trifecta13 wrote:
What tends to be worse than cold for me is 100+ degree days in the summer. I've been thinking of getting a window air conditioner for the garage, and depending on the way our summer shapes up, this might be the year. Bless the Midwest.

I agree Trifecta. You can always try to warm up, cooling down is a whole other battle. When we hit the high 90's and into triple digits here in Northern Ca, which is pretty much every summer, my desire to have a pipe withers greatly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Late-night pipe smoking locales   Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:47 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Trifecta13 wrote:
What tends to be worse than cold for me is 100+ degree days in the summer. I've been thinking of getting a window air conditioner for the garage, and depending on the way our summer shapes up, this might be the year. Bless the Midwest.

I agree Trifecta. You can always try to warm up, cooling down is a whole other battle. When we hit the high 90's and into triple digits here in Northern Ca, which is pretty much every summer, my desire to have a pipe withers greatly.
It doesn't get quite so bad down here as by you guys, but it's been in the 100s a few summers since I moved here for college (10 yrs ago!). I don't think this past year was a good example of a hot summer, but it was the first one for me smoking a pipe. I must say I don't mind it being warm in the garage, but I can't handle it when the air is still and hot. Fortunately I can open the side door to the garage and run a fan and it'll cool down somewhat.

But it's still winter! I'm still struggling with the "cold" here and didn't smoke last night. I may switch to smoking during the day after lunch at work or something. sunny 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Late-night pipe smoking locales
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3