HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?   Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:42 pm

loosely inspired by danish egg shapes, so i guess it's an egg. this was my most frustrating pipe to date. this stated off as a poker. the wood showed some amazing birdseye, and great crossgrain on the shank. as i shaped it down, a few big flaws appeared right in the middle of the birdseye. so i thought i'd rusticate it. i start working on the original stem, hand cut from ebonite stock with a green cumberland ebonite accent bit, and i sanded into the delrin tenon... so i turned down a tenon on a premade stem and went back to it. it would no longer sit properly, and i was sick of looking at a poker, so i went all danish on that stummel. turned out... meh. pictures!

and yes, i need to finish the stem. needs some sanding and polishing. i'm taking a break for a while and wanted to post it. and the white jawns all over it are from applying wax with a newish flannel wheel. next one will be better! onward and upward!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?   Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:56 pm

You got some nice craggy rustication there. I like deep rustication like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?   Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:03 pm

I see from the fuzzy bits on the surface you just HAD to try polishing it a little, didn't you? tongue

Neat rustication job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?   Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks guys! As far as polishing, I wanted to try and get a thin coat of wax on there. The last time I tried I tried melting some on, and it was way too much. Need to figure out a better way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?   Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Considering the setbacks you had I think the pipe turned out pretty good, nice shape and rustication.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?   Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Looks like you're well on your way Jeb. That's a nice finish no matter what you say!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?   Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Damn Jeb, that's a great save right there, most folk just toss mistakes to one side and leave them, good on ya for sticking with it mate, I like that in a person. It's looking good mate, to get shot of the 'bits' that have snagged just strike a match and let the flame move across the surface, it'll burn up the bits without harming the pipe, works a treat mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?   Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
Damn Jeb, that's a great save right there, most folk just toss mistakes to one side and leave them, good on ya for sticking with it mate, I like that in a person. It's looking good mate, to get shot of the 'bits' that have snagged just strike a match and let the flame move across the surface, it'll burn up the bits without harming the pipe, works a treat mate.

that's a great trick Kirk! thanks for the kind words, also. kind of bummed i'll be gone for most of this month, because i really want to make some more pipes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

SDJ pipe #7 rusticated egg?
Page 1 of 1