HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

It's that time of year

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: It's that time of year   Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Now that the reservations are selling fireworks the neighborhood is starting to explode. It'll reach a fever pitch on the 4th.

The rez sells all the really big bombs and despite the regs about them being illegal to remove and discharge from the rez property there is no regard for that around here. Never mind that some of us have to get up and work the next day.

Not to be a fuddy-duddy, and I was a big fireworks guy in my youth, but frankly I can do without this these days.

And some arsehole started the week by setting off a bunch of bombs at 5AM today! Good thing I have earplugs!

Bitch bitch bitch.............

Evil or Very Mad 

No Cheers,

RR

Last edited by Brewdude on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Kids these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Andy Lowry

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:36 pm

Fireworks freak my dog right the hell out. He's not real good about thunder, either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Andy Lowry wrote:
Fireworks freak my dog right the hell out. He's not real good about thunder, either.

We use these on our dog for separation anxiety and loud noises: http://www.amazon.com/Thundershirt-Anxiety-Treatment-Large-Heather/dp/B0028QK6EY
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Even the old kids!

Black Powder Cannons

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 am

Ol'Dawg wrote:
Even the old kids!

I just dusted off my golf ball mortar today. Very Happy 

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:08 am

gravel wrote:
Andy Lowry wrote:

We use these on our dog for separation anxiety and loud noises: http://www.amazon.com/Thundershirt-Anxiety-Treatment-Large-Heather/dp/B0028QK6EY

we use one too. works wonders. great little thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:19 am

Young whippersnappers! Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 am

somedumbjerk wrote:
gravel wrote:
Andy Lowry wrote:

we use one too. works wonders. great little thing.
Yep! The kids have sure calmed down since outfitting them with Thundershirts. They work so well, we're getting one for the dog too! jocolor 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 am

Only a year or two ago they passed a law in Maine that we can now have fireworks legally and they sell them locally. I'm all for it, celebrating our Independence with a fireworks celebration is something that I have loved since childhood, and it's something our forefathers from colonial days always approved and wanted continued forever.
I can truly see where some folks overdue the practice, but usually local codes don't allow any of this noise after a certain hour at night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Fireworks are bad-ass. Love 'em. They're illegal and seriously so around here, because it doesn't take much for a row of 30 houses to just go up on flames in this dry powderkeg of a city.

That's what desert playas are for, though. No one living around there to bother, anyway. Maybe leftover Burning Man hippies, but that simply gives us targets. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:05 pm

docwatson wrote:
Only a year or two ago they passed a law in Maine that we can now have fireworks legally and they sell them locally.  I'm all for it, celebrating our Independence with a fireworks celebration is something that I have loved since childhood, and it's something our forefathers from colonial days always approved and wanted continued forever.
I can truly see where some folks overdue the practice, but usually local codes don't allow any of this noise after a certain hour at night.

Doc, good on you folks who can now possess and discharge fireworks. Back when I was a cheesehead there were strict bans and I often wished they would be changed. That was a good many years ago though.

Problem around here is that the celebrations go well into the wee hours, and having bigass firecrackers and mortars exploding all around my 'hood until 2AM or later is common. Guess these folks have nothing better to do and don't have to work the next day. Or don't care either way. Take your pick.

And it doesn't even stop or actually begin on the 4th. Soon as the rez starts selling them the action begins and seems to go on for weeks. Can start from a week before the 4th of July and literally go on all of July. Or longer.

There's always some jokers that seem to get a kick out of setting off the big salutes in the middle of the night during the work week. Try sleeping with that and see how you feel.... including and especially if you have to get up early for work.

No 

OK, so I've whined enough. And after 15 yrs of living here and experiencing the same same I've learned to put in earplugs, have a box fan on high to provide some white noise, and close the windows.

That, and hope they don't burn down the neighborhood!

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year   Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:07 am

BD
I can see where you are coming from for sure. It might be fun for a day or two but after that the celebrating should be over with. As much as I like the boomers and crackers, there are definitely more negatives than positives in regard to explosives/fireworks. I live in a pretty rural area and don't have to deal with the lingering effects of night noise except for one neighbor that likes to shoot some pretty big rifles from his backyard at some crazy hours of the evening. He's a bit of a strange dude and I think he does it just to rile some of the local folk. I empathize with you concerning the noise, that's no fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

It's that time of year
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: