HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Cardboard Tins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Cardboard Tins   Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:27 pm

I searched the Forum, but could not find views on my question, so here goes: Some of the American round pipe tobacco tins (cans) have a body made from cardboard with a foil lining. The bottoms are plated steel (at least a magnet sticks to the bottoms), and the tops are the aluminum pull-tabs style. Question: Can these types of tins be cellared for a period of years, or should they be emptied upon purchase and put into Mason / Ball jars for long-term storage. Anyone have good / bad experience cellaring these types of tins? I am referring to the "Hearth and Home" type tins, not the McClelland or C&D tins. Thanks, chaps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Cardboard Tins   Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:20 am

Given who we are, I can see this thread growing to great length.

Lets start with jousting and only switch to broadsword after two pages.
Back to top Go down
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Cardboard Tins   Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:42 am

these tins are fine for storage to the point that any fermentation that occurs causes the tin to swell and potentially disrupts the seal. I have decade old Rattrays tins that are fine, and Burley should keep this way indefinitely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Cardboard Tins   Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:15 pm

I've opened several cans of SWR in the cardboard tins that were 9-12 years old and they were absolutely fine. I might worry about transferring to jars if it were a Virginia heavy blend though. I have a can of Field and Stream that if it were in a cardboard can would have exploded years ago. FWIW

Jim

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Cardboard Tins   Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:49 pm

I just received 6 pounds of a special tobacco that I truly love, all in coated paper tins (8oz.). While I'm sure they will cellar just fine, I transferred almost all of it to ceramic containers that I buy at the thrift store for $1.99 each. Clean them out, make sure the bail-type wire apparatus is strong and functioning...bingo, permanent storage that looks good. Slap some labels on them with date cellared and you are a happy camper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Cardboard Tins
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1