HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon Empty
PostSubject: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Well, I fell prey to yet another James Upshall P grade pipe. Last week I stopped by the John B. Hayes shop in Alexandria, a gem of a little shop, to pick up a few tins of tobacco.  They usually have some nice estate pipes in a case at the back of the shop.  I really wasn't looking for another large pipe, but this silver-banded James Upshall P Bent Apple caught my eye and I couldn't put it back in the estate drawer.  I asked them to hold the pipe and picked it up on Monday.  King was working the shop last week and had just returned from the KC show.  He had not yet looked at new estate arrivals or he said that one would have been his. (wonderful gentleman)

Most Upshall banded pipes have larger, flat bands.  I'm not a big stem adornment fan period.  But, this thin, tobacco leaf engraved band looked so elegant, I couldn't pass it up.

The shop owner, John Hayes said it came from the estate of a Washington DC collector and he sold the pipe to the previous owner in the late 80's.  John works the shop on Mondays and is a real delight to speak to, he always has some knowledge to share and some interesting stories.  This one has become one of my favorite shops.

I lifted a few handling marks, polished the sterling ring and stem. The bowl was so clean, I didn't feel it need a salt/Everclear soak.  I smoked a bowl of EMP in it this evening and it smoked wonderfully, no ghosts and cool (as I expected with those thick walls).  It has some nice grain and birdseye on the bowl top.  The shape really reminds me of a Charatan Shape 44.

I was looking for a small travel pipe, but ended up with a big porch pipe and another interesting James Upshall piece.  

James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon Th_James_Upshall_P-Silver-Gallery_zps18c5cf4e
James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon Th_James_Upshall_P-Silver-23_zpsa559c190
James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon Th_James_Upshall_P-Silver-22_zps0991ee74
James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon Th_James_Upshall_P-Silver-21_zps8f5801c0
James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon Th_James_Upshall_P-Silver-25_zps33a7e88c
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 7:48 pm

I have been watching Upshall's on e-bay. If estate pricing is the criteria, they are the premier old line maker. Your pipe enhances that view. Nice one!
Back to top Go down
herbinedave

herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Great looking pipe and as with many of yours, it comes with a story. Is the silver band a Les Wood?
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:30 pm

I like it.
Another great looking classic.
Al, the stories that accompany some of your pipe acquisitions
always remind me that good things can happen when one comes out from behind the computer and ventures into the world of shops, sunlight, and people. Someday, I'll give it a whirl...
Enjoy!sunny 
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
I like it.
Another great looking classic.
Al, the stories that accompany some of your pipe acquisitions
always remind me that good things can happen when one comes out from behind the computer and ventures into the world of shops, sunlight, and people. Someday, I'll give it a whirl...
Enjoy!sunny 

Thanks, I'm fortunate to get to several excellent East Coast shops, JB Hayes is one. Well two, Johns son Matthew runs the Winchester VA store. 95% of my estates are from Ebay, but I get lucky every once in a while with a shop pipe. John has an unsmoked E grade Upshall in the case, he showed it to me a few months ago. $800.....

The one knock Upshalls get is that their stems oxidize quickly. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I haven't experienced that. I do add a final buff to my stems with an automotive plastic polish and my thinking is that may retard the oxidation a bit.

Dave: I did a little research, but I was unable to find out who made Upshalls bands. I'll email Moty Ezratai, he has replied to questions about my other Upshall estates.

I don't know if Barry Jones still works for Upshall, the new company is a bit of a mystery.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:10 pm

These two B-grade (higher than P) ended this afternoon on Ebay, neither broke $200. Both are silver banded with the typical Upshall band. I'm not a fan of the freehand shapes, but those look like good buys.

James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon $T2eC16F,!ygE9s7HHg9EBRyeBuL0Ew~~60_3
James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon $T2eC16N,!ysE9sy0h(7iBRyeIvq6+g~~60_12
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:12 pm

The pipe you found is a lot nicer.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
The pipe you found is a lot nicer.
Thanks, I agree. The shape is very Charatan Shape 44-like, which is a favorite of mine. I guess that is the Barry Jones/Charatan influence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 pm

I don't much like bent pipes.

But I like THAT one !! I love you 

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 4:40 am

Another gorgeous Upshall Al! Congrats on another fantastic addition to your collection! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 5:14 pm

Very nice. It looks a bit up-grade from my two Ps from the late 70s. Perhaps it's the band, which I normally don't care for either. Looks good on this pipe.
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Another fine acquisition Al. Upshall pipes are really great smokes but the price range on the new pieces are a bit steep IMO. Anyone looking for a bargain should really consider the estate pieces or the second line Tilshead pipes. They are fantastic in both price, and smoking quality. Many I have had certainly didn't look like a second line, and I've never found any flaws.
You are fortunate to be close to John B. Hayes' shops. Wonderful people and true tobacconists.
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Andy
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 10:27 pm

docwatson wrote:

You are fortunate to be close to John B. Hayes' shops. Wonderful people and true tobacconists.
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Andy

Yes, I've met a lot of fine folks in the pipe world, but John Hayes is near the top of that fine group.
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 7:48 am

Upshalls have a reputation for being drilled on the small side. True?
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
Upshalls have a reputation for being drilled on the small side. True?
Yes, their draw is a favorite among my pipes. I'd say they are drilled similar to a pre-Cadogan GBD and take a similar packing ritual. They are not wide open like a Castello.
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Popular opinion says a wide-open draw is best, like a cob. I like that but you don't; why? Are you also saying that you have to pack an Upshall more loosely, and if so does the loose pack mitigate the tighter draw? In the end does a loose pack and a more constricted draw smoke about the same as a tighter pack and a more open draw?
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 3:56 pm

I don't have much cob experience, but I would say to me, a Castello has a very wide open draw and my two have to be packed quite tightly to smoke well. My Upshalls take a slightly less dense pack and a thick cleaner wwon't run thru very easily.
Back to top Go down
cheapsk8

Registration date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 4:06 pm

THAT makes me jealous I don't have any pipe shops for 600 km in any direction....Sad 
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon   James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 pm

cheapsk8 wrote:
THAT makes me jealous I don't have any pipe shops for 600 km in any direction....Sad 

I am fortunate in that regard. I was hanging out at JM Boswells in PA today, with my daughters fiance. The bad news is as the prospective father-in-law, I get to pick up the tab! It was a fun afternoon, just doing a guy thing.
Back to top Go down

James Upshall P w/Silver Band Additon
Page 1 of 1