HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pet Peeves...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:14 pm

I got to thinking about my pet peeves the other day, and I have some really minor things that set me off. Some are understandable, some are just down right ridiculous. It got me wondering what little things bother other people to no end.

Whatcha got?

I'll go first.

Arrogant people drive me batty. (probably understandable)

But how about this? If I accidentaly put my t-shirt on backwards, I just irritated myself to no end Shocked  What's up with that?

PS. The intention of this post isn't to put everyone in a bad mood, but to maybe laugh at ourselves a bit and let others laugh with us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:45 pm

It's a sure sign of a bad day when I arrive at work and I realize my boxers are on backwards.

(I had a friend in middle school who bought that "krossed out" fashion hook-line-and-sinker. Not a good look. It makes me feel better to know that kids born when that album came out are now graduating college. Better, but oooold.)

My pet peeves:

• Misuse of the apostrophe
  • People who don't know/ignore rules of space and traffic flow when driving
  • Anyone who leaves a mess in a public restroom

Those aren't too crazy... my one totally irrational peeve: catsup on a hot dog. Pure chauvinism, I know, but I can't stand it, and I can't stand seeing it happen. (Tomato slices on a Chicago dog are A-OK, though.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Our worthless sold out politicians.

Bankers, the most evil criminals on the planet.

Cigarette smokers.

People who are oblivious to the outside world, and are driving on the same road as me.

Forum experts who puke their arrogance upon us.

How do ya like 'er now?tongue lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:17 pm

I like hobie's list!

My pet peeve is...
Movie DVDs that have very low volume during dialogue,
then extremely loud volume when music is playing, or things are
exploding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Droopy britches
Driving in the left lane at 50
Texting while driving
"Experts" in education who have never taught
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Growley

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Good ones. I've got to agree with poor use of apostrophe's Twisted Evil, DVD volume changes, and droopy britches.

If we're getting into grammatical mistakes, I'd add the terrible influence texting has had on the proper written word.
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Growley, do you know the story of how they started wearing their pants down below their butts?

On Ellis Island Prison, in NY, the young black men started wearing them that way to signal to the other prisoners in the open yard area that they wanted to have sex. 99% of the black men in the USA likely have no idea where it started or what it meant, they just followed along wanting desperately to conform to all the other Black Sheeple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Saggy trousers do have their origins in prison attire, but not as a visual pickup line. Prison blues come in limited sizes and belts are generally not allowed.
http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp

I used to have a laundry list of fashion pet peeves... then I worked a few years at an apparel company. The only constant about fashion is that it changes, sometimes for practical reasons but always always because new fashions means new purchases.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:16 pm

-Texting or talking on the phone wile operating a motor vehicle.
-Parking in the handicap spot when your not.
-Dog owners that let there dog crap everywhere but in there own yard.

Last edited by flytyer on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Humm I have a couple, and none of mine deal with grammar because I didn't pay that much attention in school.
(so  apologies to any one who has grammar pet peeves)
Number one has to be people who don't follow the "Golden Rule" but expect it to be followed by others
Number two is definitely summertime tourist traffic. not pointing any fingers but PA you could drive a little better lol! 
Number three has to be when someone doesn't put the tool back in the designated tool spot in the shop
That's kinda it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Lots of things posted here I probably would agree with, but are not really all THAT much of a peeve for me. But one thing is and that's the whiney, wailing radio personalities that one finds on talk radio. ALL of 'em Whine, whine, whine that's ALL they do ARRRRGHHH Twisted Evil  Other than that not to much really bothers me Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Another pet peeve is when I'm in line to purchase something in a store,
and just as I get to the cashier, the phone rings, and the cashier spends the next five minutes answering questions from a potential customer instead of ringing up my purchase and taking my money!
Don't they have a "hold" button on their phone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Another pet peeve is when I'm in line to purchase something in a store,
and just as I get to the cashier, the phone rings, and the cashier spends the next five minutes answering questions from a potential customer instead of ringing up my purchase and taking my money!
Don't they have a "hold" button on their phone?

but you are in queue and already going to purchase something. the person on the phone needs to be convinced to get to the step that you are in. that is how i was trained at retail Very Happy 
i didn't follow it though. it's okay to put someone on hold on the phone in my book.

a weird pet peeve i have is all my cash needs to face the same direction. years of counting cash drawers has ingrained that in me. also those words on websites that pop up ads when your mouse scrolls on them. i HATE those.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Humans. Present company excluded, of course. Very Happy

I'm just waiting for the return of the mothership.
Back to top Go down
Growley

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:35 pm

somedumbjerk wrote:
a weird pet peeve i have is all my cash needs to face the same direction.

I have the same concern. I want all my bills to face the same direction, and be in sequence. The odd part about that though is that I haven't decided if I want the big bills in front, or in back.

Oh, and another... How about when you get change at the drive through, and they hand your bills with your coins on top? The coins tend to slide right off. It would make more sense IMHO to hand you the coins first and bills second.
Back to top Go down
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 pm

Growley wrote:
somedumbjerk wrote:
a weird pet peeve i have is all my cash needs to face the same direction.

I have the same concern. I want all my bills to face the same direction, and be in sequence. The odd part about that though is that I haven't decided if I want the big bills in front, or in back.

Oh, and another... How about when you get change at the drive through, and they hand your bills with your coins on top? The coins tend to slide right off. It would make more sense IMHO to hand you the coins first and bills second.

yup. coins, then bills. that was a policy i actually followed through from day one of retail. i was taught the right way when my manager was teaching me the register, she handed it to me coins first then bills, and the she did it the other way and shoved a bag at me, i went for it and coins dropped everywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Well, here is my short list:

1. People making obnoxious disgusting noises as they eat.
2. Coughing without covering your mouth.
3. People who don't use their turn signal.
4. People who pepper their entire conversation with "like" and "and stuff"
Ex: I just want to like help people and stuff. ( I can't tell you how many times I hear that in interviews!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:43 am

People whom haven't a clue.
People who's word is worthless.
People who's ego enters the room before them.
Selfish, narrow mind people whom have only one purpose in life, to serve themselves.
People whom have a problem with cigarette smokers or any smoker for that fact.
People in general, they screw it up for everyone else. (didn't see that coming, did ya?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:13 am

Acronyms and initialism.  It bad enough when the government has to make up catchy ones so we don't feel as screwed; but, those of us who smoked a handful of blends over the course of the years suffer through some weird conjecture at times.

I won't give the full list of my PP's Smile but I will tell you they change as you age.  Perspective!  Understand that, sonny?  Now, get off my grass!
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:30 am

Young, beautiful, wealthy women who just want me for my body. They burn me up! I wish they'd leave me alone. Their hands are always all over me, just because they buy me boats and planes and stuff and then expect favors. Do they think I'm easy or something?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Young, beautiful, wealthy women who just want me for my body. They burn me up! I wish they'd leave me alone. Their hands are always all over me, just because they buy me boats and planes and stuff and then expect favors. Do they think I'm easy or something?

I'm sure your other pet peeve isn't controlled substances. Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:15 am

My pet peeve list:

Poor phone etiquette at work.
Purposeful ignorance.
People that drive under the posted speed limit, only to speed up when you go to pass them.
Overly opinionated people that spout their opinion as fact, regardless of whether it is or not.
Rude people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Really the only things that bother me are inconsequential sh*t I make up in my own mind or terribly serious things that I reduce to inconsequential sh*t so my head doesn't explode.   Other people's inconsequential sh*t is similar to when people have irrational fears.  Neither of them make much sense for someone to be emotionally reactive toward something insignificant.  I get the difference inasmuch as I have to hold people by the hand (especially on the Internet) when I respond with content and perhaps a few more words than they're comfortable reading--it isn't status-quo reacting to things.  I ain't wired like most; I never made me a good "human tribe member."  People usually bore the hell out of me (or just confuse me), and the devil is in the (inconsequential?) details.   Laughing  🤷  I'm a selfish cur in that regard.  

So I guess my only pet peeve is pet peeves, but it's more eyebrow-raising bewilderment than something that gets on my nerves.   I've never gotten a straight answer as to the reason of anyone's fears or odd irritations.  "Because they do!"   I can remember only one time something irritated me around here, me reacting to that important meer of mine that cracked due to some offhand teasing...I fully admit it was ridiculous, but hey, as honest as I am, I called it.  I was a retard.  C'est la vie.  Laughing  Sort of similar, I guess.

Okay, fair enough.   I guess I can't empathize, but...I guess I could go fixate something else that didn't bother me, if I had the choice...hey!  Wait!  I do!   tongue :positivethinking:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm not sure I completely follow your post 100% Kyle, but I'll give you an honest answer on one of my pet peeves. I've never really thought out a lot of my pet peeves,...and maybe that's why they bug me, because I haven't put rational thought to them.

But when it comes to putting my t-shirt on backwards bothering me so much, I know exactly why it's a pet peeve of mine. It's all about the feeling. It's like putting your left shoe on the right foot. It just doesn't feel like it's supposed to. It doesn't feel like "home" in a way.

But, now that I'm thinking about pet peeves deeper, I bet a lot of mine come down to my own selfishness and self-centeredness.

Here's an example:

It bugs me that people put the change on top of the bills when they hand me my change in a drive through. Why does it bug me? Because they haven't thought out the best possible way to hand out change? No, because if I drop the change, because of the way they handed it to me, then I'm the one that has to unbuckle, open my door and search below my car to find it...either that or leave it. In both cases, I'm the one who's put out. They weren't thinking of ME! Self centeredness on my part.

Oh crud...I'm a self centered pig 

...Good thing I don't have too many pet peeves. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Dunno what to tell ya. There's stuff that makes me 5) all the time, be it people being idiotic (with disturbing regularity), burning the last two pieces of bread for toast, etc. Some people, on the other hand come unglued with those situations. That really freaks me out when I happen to witness such tantrums. I realize none of you all are talking about something that extreme, but getting bothered by little stuff is foreign to me. If I told you what (or more importantly, how) things bothered me, it might make sense. Said simply. I'm in a fairly constant state of uncertainty around people, like one might be if they weren't used to being around large animals like horses. Always been that way. At the same time, though, a horse has never actively tried to be horrible to me. They aren't normally wired that way. People, on the other hand, often are. So I accept them that way; I don't really get angry at them any more than the bee for stinging...unless someone is really trying to figure out how to get a reaction out of me. Then they get the gift they require, but I really try not to go there.

As for backwards shirts? Heh, I just turn em around and roll my eyes. Being human is my biggest flaw, after all. tongue

That probably doesn't clear much up. Laughing Don't let me crash the peeve party. Carry on, this stuff just fascinates me. The human enigma from my eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pet Peeves...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: