HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 am

This is a new video made using a Parkzone Radian, which is a 2-meter powered saillplane.
Takeoff and climb is a bit rough, as a sweat-bee was giving me a hard time. Shocked 
After I swatted him (while trying to climb the plane) all went much better.

You can see the edge of the propeller on the screen, but the prop folds back when throttled off.
All in all a better video than the earlier attempt, and a lot smoother.  Not to mention, higher altitude flying.
I purposely did a few climb & dive manuvers to show how high up the dang plane was, and I'm still experimenting with camera angles. Laughing 

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 am

Shocked 

cheers 

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:56 am

Very cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Wow! Fantastic - what a really awesome hobby!cheers

Really, really excellent Rob - congratulations!

Fraternally

Jers

ps I hope you don't ‘accidentally' overfly any topless sunbathers ect....I mean that would just be wrong buddy. Evil or Very Mad 

pps don't ever fly this anywhere near Yaksylvannia - Yak's are very touchy about surveillance intrusions......affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 pm

I love sailplanes, this even has the radio and everything you need in the box. Thanks for the video:bounce: 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:56 am

That is so cool.  The video quality was a lot better than the first one. Watching it is almost like being in the plane. I think you need one of those jet models that can shoot down other planes in a dogfight. Would love to see one shot out of the sky then crash and burn.Twisted Evil  It would make a great video. Thanks for sharing. 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:39 am

That looks like fun. cheers 
What would you recommend to someone who
never tried it before? Is it easy to crash em?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:10 am

Hermit wrote:
never tried it before?  Is it easy to crash em?

To start out (and practice on the computer), ClearView RC Flight Simulator. The free demo version is all you would need to get a feel for it and the price is right.

For a first plane - a Hobbyzone Champ. Inexpensive, can fly it almost anywhere since it's small, and it's one of the absolute easiest planes to fly and learn on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:11 am

ajn27511 wrote:
I think you need one of those jet models that can shoot down other planes in a dogfight. Would love to see one shot out of the sky then crash and burn.Twisted Evil  

AJ

Yeah, but it would suck for the guy who got shot down.  lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:44 am

Wow, that is cool. Lets see some shots of your plane and controller, I'm intrigued.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 am

Great video Rob. How high would you say it got? Helluva view and the sound of the wind rushing by is cool.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:23 am

Mark - I have no idea how high it really was. Quite a distance above the treeline. It's an old area, and many of the trees are in the 75-100' range. If I could afford a mini-altimeter, I could tell you for sure. Would be neat to find out though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:30 am

riff raff wrote:
Wow, that is cool.  Lets see some shots of your plane and controller, I'm intrigued.

No problem, Brother.

The radio is a Spektrum DX6i = a 6-channel computerized radio with 10 model memories. Effective control range is about a mile, so no problems with losing signal. Laughing  (1st pic)

The first video (in my other thread) was made using my Parkzone Archer. Brushless motor and 37" wingspan. Quite a little hotrod at 3/4 throttle and up. (2nd pic)

The plane that made the video in this thread is my Parkzone Radian. It's a 2-meter class powered sailplane, has a 78" wingspan, and weighs in at just under 2-lbs with battery and micro cam. (3rd & 4th pics).

The camera being used is an el-cheapo 808 Keychain Cam. Available for $10 shipped on Ebay.

Hope this helps.  I you need the specs or more info on these, just let me know.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Wow thats way cool Rob, thats something ive always wanted to try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:59 pm

allyby wrote:
Wow thats way cool Rob, thats something ive always wanted to try.

Go for it, Ally!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Awesome stuff, Rob!
That looks really fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Wow, what a neat setup. I have to divert some pipe funds....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Hey RiffRaff, let me point you back to an earlier post made to Hermit, if you're interested in getting into RC Planes:

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Hermit wrote:

To start out (and practice on the computer), ClearView RC Flight Simulator.  The free demo version is all you would need to get a feel for it and the price is right.

For a first plane - a Hobbyzone Champ.  Inexpensive, can fly it almost anywhere since it's small, and it's one of the absolute easiest planes to fly and learn on.

With that being said, the Parkzone Radian RTF (ready to fly) comes with everything you need in the box: Mostly assembled plane (takes 5 minutes tops), Radio (Spektrum DX5e), Battery, Charger, even AA batteries for the radio. It'll be ready to fly before the battery is fully charged. Shocked 

But I'd still recommend the Hobbyzone Champ (also RTF) as a first plane. Put a couple dozen flights on it, then step up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Hey RiffRaff, let me point you back to an earlier post made to Hermit, if you're interested in getting into RC Planes:

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Hermit wrote:

To start out (and practice on the computer), ClearView RC Flight Simulator.  The free demo version is all you would need to get a feel for it and the price is right.

For a first plane - a Hobbyzone Champ.  Inexpensive, can fly it almost anywhere since it's small, and it's one of the absolute easiest planes to fly and learn on.

With that being said, the Parkzone Radian RTF (ready to fly) comes with everything you need in the box:  Mostly assembled plane (takes 5 minutes tops), Radio (Spektrum DX5e), Battery, Charger, even AA batteries for the radio.  It'll be ready to fly before the battery is fully charged. Shocked 

But I'd still recommend the Hobbyzone Champ (also RTF) as a first plane. Put a couple dozen flights on it, then step up.

A really neat video Rob! When I first started watching these type videos a few months back, they were really impressive. Then I found a few involving crashes, and I realized how much skill it actually took to keep some of these planes in the air.

Another thing I like about the modern planes, is that they are much quieter than the nitro fuel burning models. I grew up across the street from an engineer who built and flew those old nitro planes at the local fairgrounds, and I have always thought it was a fantastic hobby!cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:06 am

Here's another video shot last Sunday (8/4/13) from a peak altitude of 2040 feet. I took it up over 1,000 feet and hit a few thermals and kept it climbing for a bit. This video is at the peak, and showing the descent.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Great landing! I was expecting a tumbling image for an ending.

I have a buddy down here who does raidio controlled flying. He has the big ones. Awesome hobby.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:53 pm

MisterE wrote:
Great landing! I was expecting a tumbling image for an ending.

Yeah - the glider has no landing gear, so it's usually a belly-landing in the grass.  If you're good you can give it some up-elevator, putting in a controlled stall right in front of you, and then hand catch it.  Takes a bit of  practice to perfect that method though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Great video, in fact after watching your posts I'm considering buying a starter plane and controller and seeing how I like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 pm

As mentioned earlier, the HobbyZone Champ is about the absolute easiest thing to fly.  It only has 3-channels (throttle, rudder, and elevator), is light-weight, the ultimate trainer, and comes RTF (ready-to-fly & even includes batteries for the controller and charger) for under $100.

Also, you can download the free demo version of ClearView RC Flight Simulator and practice on it.  Good practice and won't cost you a thing for the demo version.

That's where I would start.  Of course if you have an RC Flying Club near you, a visit to them would be a great step in that direction as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane   Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:31 pm

Rob:  

Yep, reviving another old thread, but just watched your original video again. The Hobie Hawk was always my favorite sailplane.  The Radian kinda looks like they copied the wing design.

Well, today I went to the local Hobby Town and looked at the Radian glider model you have.  $179.00

Also watched the 10 part series on flite test Youtube channel.  I think I'm hooked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

New Aerial Video using a 2-meter Sailplane
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: