HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Empty
PostSubject: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Hey brothers,

I wanted to post this up so you could take a look at it. This pipe is already spoken for (most likely), but I thought you'd get a kick out of it. This was a commission from an incredibly unique and neat person. This individual has a love for antiques...in a major way. He wanted a pipe that fit his style, and also one to smoke on his vintage boats. He sent me a bunch of pictures of his lovely boats to give me some muse.

I'll admit, I did some mental gymnastics for a long time before I came up with this design. After a while, I just ended up turning my brain off and letting my hands take the task over. I had a monster piece of ivory I wanted to make the best of, and some wonderful birds eye on the back that I couldn't let go, so I came up with a design that let me keep both.

Ok, enough of the backstory, here's how it turned out.

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Img_0882-copy

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Img_0883-copy

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Img_0877-copy

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Img_0878-copy

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Img_0885-copy

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Img_0884-copy

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Img_0887-copy

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Img_0891-copy

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Img_0888-copy

PS. If this doesn't end up selling, I'll post it up in the Towne Crier.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Nice work, Brian! The grain is captivating.

It's cool to see how it turned out. I'm sure he'll be very happy with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Awesome grain, a real great looking pipe.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm

It's fantastic, I love it!
The shape, the grain, the ivory, the execution, all beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Thanks! It's a "stander" too! ...just kidding of course.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:13 am

That is absolutely spectacular, gorgeous grain and perfect angles, breath taking work, bravo. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:27 am

Another stunner Brian! You really have a knack for orientating the grain for maximum effect!cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 am

Love it! Good on ya!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 7:29 am

I guess it is OK.

But, you really have to be into well executed pipes with outstanding grain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 9:01 am

cheers 

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Boulder&Briar

Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 am

You are becoming my most inspiring "Ramses" maker. Love the whole design. Squid shaped if I'm not mistaken?
Back to top Go down
http://www.boulderandbriar.com
bosun1

bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 am

Nice!
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 9:58 am

How could he not fall in love with that pipe...fantastic work!
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Boulder&Briar wrote:
You are becoming my most inspiring "Ramses" maker. Love the whole design. Squid shaped if I'm not mistaken?

Oh, man...I hope I don't get pegged as "The Ramses Maker". They're a bear to make. Very Happy 

Actually, I didn't think "squid" until it was finished. I initially thought of anchors, and the lines of a boats, and triangular sails and so on. I was trying to put a number of ideas into it so it would come out looking "nautical", but not like anything in particular.

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation DSCN5190

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Avatar_f8c1956229ec_96

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation 2276322_300x300

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation F3a0e00b81ee3fa50a462ee2b954189d
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Wow! Shocked 

Seriously Excellent work. Very Happy cheers 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Gorgeous Chris-Crafts. The epitome of the saying: A wooden boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. The place on the next lake over sold them. Big money then and even now.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 11:54 am

Brian, once again you show us the wonderful extent of your master craftsman pipe maker's abilities!! Stunning, just stunning cheers 
Back to top Go down
somedumbjerk

somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:39 pm

if the customer doesn't take that work of art, commit him to an asylum. altough that would look great on the rack next to mine... Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:03 pm

Lovely, Brian. I was hoping there wouldn't be some gaudy ship's wheel on the sides, and you have come through to my expectations. Laughing cheers Seriously class-A work.

Cool
Back to top Go down
mejoshee

mejoshee

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:10 pm

WOW Shocked BEAUTIFUL birds eye. This is a really classy combo.cheers 

I have heard too many good things about pipes, Brian. I will need to start saving up...
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 5:00 pm

My favorite shot is from the back. It's really got a "large fish swimming over me" kinda feel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 5:36 pm

That is one helluva nice execution there Brian. I'll bet drilling the airway was pretty challenging.

Well done sir!

sunny 

Cheers,

RR

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Purple11x 2Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Bombx10  Growley Ramses Nautical Variation Bombx7Growley Ramses Nautical Variation D6bddf10 Growley Ramses Nautical Variation 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Growley Ramses Nautical Variation   Growley Ramses Nautical Variation EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Brewdude wrote:
That is one helluva nice execution there Brian. I'll bet drilling the airway was pretty challenging.

Well done sir!

sunny 

Cheers,

RR

Thanks. The drilling is the worse part of this kind of pipe. It can make or break it, and I've spent a lot of miserable hours noodling over it. In fact, I sometimes take an hour just drawing it up making sure everything lines up perfectly.

Why oh why can't I just drill a curved hole? LOL. I swear I'm going to train termites to drill my holes for these pipes...

Actually, there are cases of humans using bugs to drill for them. In Australia they'd have ants bore out their very long didgeridoos. From what the tour guide told us when I was there, they'd just put the chunk of wood over an termite mound and wait until they chewed up through it.

...but I digress.
Back to top Go down

Growley Ramses Nautical Variation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: