HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Billiard/Poker experiment

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

Billiard/Poker experiment Empty
PostSubject: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 3:27 am

Being a pre-drilled block I had no control over the positioning of the chamber and the draught hole, after much gazing at the Briar, rolling it over and over in my hands trying to 'feel' what wanted to come from the wood.

I gradually got an image form in my minds eye, yup, the first image that came to mind made was naughty and made no sense at all so I patted it on the bottom to chase it away, a picture of a cross between a Poker and a Billiard was screaming to be realised.

Being but a mortal man who am I to deny the wants of the great Cosmos, out came the files and I slowly freed the shape from the chaff, definitely not a traditional shape but a lovely cheeky pipe none the less, I hope you guys like the looks of it.

Pipe Specifications

Bowl Width: 40mm
Pipe Height: 61mm
Pipe Length: 168mm
Tobacco Chamber Width: 20mm (7/8")
Tobacco Chamber Depth: 47mm
Weight: 73g

Billiard/Poker experiment IMG_0716

Billiard/Poker experiment IMG_0715

Billiard/Poker experiment IMG_0714

Billiard/Poker experiment IMG_0713

Billiard/Poker experiment IMG_0712

Billiard/Poker experiment IMG_0711

Billiard/Poker experiment IMG_0710

Billiard/Poker experiment IMG_0709
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 3:45 am

some pretty nice grain on this one, I am a sucker for birdseye.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 4:31 am

Fatman wrote:
some pretty nice grain on this one, I am a sucker for birdseye.

Wait when you see the one I am making just now, it has some gorgeous birdseye and it's going to be a monster sized pipe so lots of lovely birdseye, half want to keep it for myself. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 4:33 am

Looking forward to seeing it Kirk Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
bosun1

bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Came out very well! Good looking pipe!
Back to top Go down
somedumbjerk

somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Mmmm.... Birdseye
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Very nice pipe beautiful birds eye I give it cheers cheers cheers 
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Nice carving & finishing job on that !!

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Draagha

Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Don't EVER doubt your skills sir. That thing looks AWESOME brother. I'm ordering some blocks soon and I'd like to try a nosewarmer version of this if you wouldn't mind sir? It's an awesome shape.
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Nice, the stem & birdseye are just a bonus to nice looking pipe.cheers

PS. I`d say your experimnet is a success.

Last edited by Hawker on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks for the very kind replies, makes my heart soar. Smile

Draagha, of course you can copy the shape, really no need to ask my friend, I look forward to seeing the nose warmer you make. Smile
Back to top Go down
Draagha

Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
Thanks for the very kind replies, makes my heart soar. Smile

Draagha, of course you can copy the shape, really no need to ask my friend, I look forward to seeing the nose warmer you make. Smile

Ah but I must respect the original artist! You will be the first to know how it goes brother! Keep up the awesome art! I love it! What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Ideas and designs of my own are there for the World to enjoy my friend, it is good you seek to ask but in all seriousness I would feel wrong in ever stopping my own work or designs from inspiring another, I am honoured and flattered you think so highly of my design and work. Smile
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Your are doing a great job with the stain on these pipe brothers, are you using fiebings? Also where'd you get theses kits from?

and that birds eye is way awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
somedumbjerk

somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:19 pm

That pipe reminded me of one I'd seen before and was bugging me, until this morning!
Billiard/Poker experiment Fhoo3jG
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 pm

i.keenum wrote:
Your are doing a great job with the stain on these pipe brothers, are you using fiebings? Also where'd you get theses kits from?

and that birds eye is way awesome!

I do use Fiebings dyes, I mix them and dilute with ISO to get my own tones, I'm not actually in a position to say where these kits came from, long story and one which needs to remain silenced to be honest, no disrespect to you Brother. The type of blocks you need for that sort of grain are called cross-grain (or simply Birdseye ebauchons), they're of higher quality than the stuff most factories would use but are not as costly as straight grain, I will use both types in the future but I do love Birdseye of the exterior chamber walls, I find it totally captivating. Have a butchers here: http://www.briarblocks.com/pipes/index.htm#!bird-eye/c1yf4
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Billiard/Poker experiment   Billiard/Poker experiment EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 4:06 pm

somedumbjerk wrote:
That pipe reminded me of one I'd seen before and was bugging me, until this morning!
Billiard/Poker experiment Fhoo3jG

Scary similar isn't it, I don't like cobs to be honest but that does appeal for the shape actually.
Back to top Go down

Billiard/Poker experiment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: