HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Why do you smoke?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Why do you smoke?   Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 am

I've thought about this question quite a bit. Initially it was go give me a connection with family members who smoked without taking up cigarettes. Now it is part of my identity. I try to cultivate hobbies, thoughts, and relationships that develop me into the person I am and want to become. A love of tobacco, fine craftsmanship, and tradition are an inextricable part of that identity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Why do you smoke?   Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:24 pm

“Pipe smoking is not a habit…but a way of life”…PeterD

I think this explains it best for me..thanks PeterD...for summing it up for me.

...and thus it is true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Why do you smoke?   Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:46 pm

I came to pipes and pipe tobacco from cigars. I started smoking cigars in my 20's, but didn't get serious about smoking at least one cigar a day until I was in my 40's.

In my 20's when I began smoking cigars, I would go in and buy 1 cigar every 2 to 3 months, but once I started smoking cigars daily, I began to frequent my local tobacconist on a regular basis. I found that I really enjoyed browsing the pipes while I smoked a good cigar, however the prices for the ones that really caught my eye turned me off completely.

I got impulsive one day, and decided I would splurge and allow myself to spend around $100 for a pipe and a tin of tobacco. My tobacconist told me he would let me have a really nice sitter for $125, that was marked $150, and also threw in a tin of tobacco for the same price. I was really stoked until he told me after the sale, that it would take my briar pipe a week to dry out after each smoke. It immediately registered with me, that I would need around 7 to 10 pipes at least, to enjoy the hobby properly. The math instantly totaled around $1000 in my mind. Tongue bite solidified the advice to buy multiple pipes, and allow them time enough to dry.

Once I got a little money invested, it was easy to buy additional pipes when convenient to do so.

Why do I smoke? Because I have so much money invested in this hobby, I can't afford not to. However, I have always believed in the adage, "If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing." What a Face 

Additionally, I really enjoy the ritual of preparing my tobacco, loading my pipe, as well as the relaxation it provides. I also enjoy cleaning and maintaining my pipes, similar to the way I maintain my guns. A pipe collection has a lot of parallels with a gun collection. Both hold most of their value, and both are fantastic representations of functional art.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Why do you smoke?   Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:06 pm

Hermit said it, because my tobacco ain't gonna smoke itself.

Yak said it, because I like it, and I fancy it.

More personally, it, like BoB, is a friend within reach. I fixate on a lot of things too intently. People chide about addiction, moral attitude, etc, but when it comes down to it, it's my contemplative "re-evaluate time." Happens in the morning and the evening, preferably during sunrise and sunset, my favorite times of day.

I don't grab a pipe when I'm stressed, because it requires too much attention. When my attention is not on the pipe, I get sloppy. Sloppy pipes are no fun, they're overheated from being pushed, frustrating from being non-satisfactory, and won't provide me with what I need versus actually addressing any problems...and THEN smoking a pipe.

I don't "slow down" often. The pipe forces me to do just that. Like Aikido, detailed work and good conversations with good friends. They take effort, poise, thoughtfulness and kata. That's my mode, or goal in any case, therefore, I might as well also like what I do. If I like it, I keep doing it, and to very positive and beneficial effect.

I love you

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Why do you smoke?   Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Because I want to and I can.king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Why do you smoke?   Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:20 pm

My family's been asking the same thing for years, except it usually goes: Eric, why the hell do you smoke!?

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Why do you smoke?   Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:51 pm

Because you pay the bills and say so, E. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sean68

Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Why do you smoke?   Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:24 am

I smoke tobacco for relaxation. The relaxation of the tobacco itself and the time I take to smoke it.

I smoke pipes for the ritual.

And pipes are attractive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Why do you smoke?   Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Because you pay the bills and say so,  E.    Laughing

I've been explaining that for years to no effect. lol! 

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Why do you smoke?   Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:39 pm

MisterE wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:
Because you pay the bills and say so,  E.    Laughing

I've been explaining that for years to no effect.  lol! 

Laughing "Because I'm awesome." You can borrow my typical answer, then. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Why do you smoke?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: