HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! Empty
PostSubject: 2 Misses, but they were fun!!!!   2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 11:25 am

Ha ha, I bet you read that title thinking I was being saucy and posting in the wrong area huh, no, damn, didn't work then, oh poo. bounce 

Out of the pipe kits I purchased recently 2 of the 6 are not to my mind suitable for pipes to be made for sale, bummer huh, ah well, that's life for ya. I got to have some fun and some more practise by going ahead and making pipes from them anyway, sadly they'll just sit in a box now as the chambers are too darn deep for my teeny baccy rations. As they're not going to be sold I didn't fuss over the finish very much on them so yeah, they look a little rough, didn't see the point in finishing 'em too nice.

This one the draught hole has been drilled too high which will of course result in a mucky pipe is not smoked carefully, no one is going to want the added hassle of building a think heel cake and it isn't right I think to try selling it like this.

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! IMG_0774

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! IMG_0781

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! IMG_0780

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! IMG_0779

This one there is a flaw in the chamber, it's only small but I worry it could result in a burn out if the smoker doesn't take the time to build a good cake, again making it not suitable for sale to my mind, yup, in the box it went. I enjoyed mucking about with form on this one, didn't really think about what I was doing when I shaped it, just let the shape come out on it's own, most folk wont like it I know but I love the look of it and it feels marvellous in the hand, shame really.

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! IMG_0765

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! IMG_0771

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! IMG_0764

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! IMG_0763

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! IMG_0769
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Misses, but they were fun!!!!   2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 11:53 am

Too-deep drilling : every Pete system pipe I've ever seen has been drilled way high off the bottom, and they smoke fine. Somebody, somewhere, makes meerschaum buttons that bring the bottom level of the chamber up to level. They probably don't cost that much (or you could make one from a junker). Once it's caked over, there you have it. Or make one of waste briar.

Second one : It's hard to imagine someone not finding that attractive on an informed buyer-informed seller basis.

Quit giving up.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
the rev

the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: 2 Misses, but they were fun!!!!   2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 12:03 pm

I agree with Yak that is not an unsalvagable pipe. If you sold it to me, I would slap some charcoal and buttermilk on the inside of that bowl and start smoking. I would not sell it after applying coat, I am saying if you told me it was there, gave me a discount, then that is what I would do. I would take pictures all along the way just to annoy Yak. I would also switch out to an ebonite stem and smoke aromatics at democrat party functions, just for the same reason. I do not however have the money to buy a pipe at this juncture.

rev
Back to top Go down
http://revspipes.com
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: 2 Misses, but they were fun!!!!   2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

PM'd

Last edited by Growley on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
somedumbjerk

somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: 2 Misses, but they were fun!!!!   2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

that first pipe is gorgeous. nothing a little pipe mud can't fix! although i prefer pipe cement...
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: 2 Misses, but they were fun!!!!   2 Misses, but they were fun!!!! EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Not giving up anything Buddy, giving up would have been throwing the kits in the trash, just sharing some fun I had playing with those 2 kits is all mate.
Back to top Go down

2 Misses, but they were fun!!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: