HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The British diet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: The British diet   Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:24 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: The British diet   Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:18 am

Yuk! That's gross.5) 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: The British diet   Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:12 am

Damn, I have seen some whoppers when my late Bro' and I worked the sewers in London years ago but that one is GIGANTIC, all that nasty chip pan crap getting swished down the sinks all the time, bacon fat and sausage fat, on the odd occasion there are small animals trapped in them, not so small but we found a 9 foot Burmese python in one once. I never did understand why London City Council & the Borough Councils don't insist on food waste disposal systems like those used in American Cities, everything goes down the water waste pipes in the UK, it's a disgusting system that screams to be modernised, crazy isn't it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: The British diet   Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Yup and Yuk!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The British diet   Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Kirk provides another example of what makes the BOB such a great place.
After closer reading I found the following information in the article:

CountyClean Environmental Services, the waste management company that removed the deposit, said it would go to good use. "We recycle everything that we remove -- the water is extracted and the remaining fats and oils are turned into products like soap, biodiesel and fuel," a CountyClean spokesman told AFP. wrote:

Perhaps if you are visiting England you may want to bring your own soap
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The British diet   Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:55 pm

Bub wrote:
...Perhaps if you are visiting England you may want to bring your own soap
Nah...by the time the fat gets processed into soap, it's essentially sterile. The conversion process uses a severely caustic substance (sodium hydroxide), with pH=14. Nothing can live in that...well, nothing on Earth at least.

I worked in wastewater pollution control for 16 years. The accumulation of 15 tonnes of fat in a local trunk sewer is more than just a sewer management problem; it's a user management problem. The local Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) or whatever they call the wastewater collection and treatment organization in London hasn't done a very good job educating their users.

Here in L.A. County, we get these periodic Cheerful Reminders™ from the Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts (LACSD) letting us know it's our civic duty not to be dumping coffee grounds, eggshells, and all manner of fat down the drain. Having been on the downstream end of "the drain", I know the problems such substances create. "Sanitary waste" (the stuff you flush) isn't stuff you wanna smell, but it's not particularly difficult to treat sanitary sewage. Removing food wastes like those mentioned above makes treatment more complicated...and more expensive.

Not throwing that stuff down the drain is a practical matter of self-defense, actually. The harder it is to take that stuff out of the water, the more costly it is to treat it...which means the more money they steal in property taxes to pay for it. LACSD isn't particularly shy about raising the sewage treatment assessment line item on the property tax bill.

We collect our oil and grease in disposable containers, freeze it, and throw it in the trash can. It's better in the sanitary landfill than in the sewer. And it costs us less money.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The British diet   Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:28 pm

But Veet, flushing it makes it go away. Like to Narnia, or the moon or something. Right? Very Happy

The last apartment complex I lived in had to have the 3-foot sewer main dug up because it was clogged. Apparently every parent in the complex was somehow, some way, getting diapers down the toilet, past the curves and narrow pipes. A message was sent out. Six months later, same deal, different place in the main. A message was sent out--this time in English and Spanish, alerting the residents of the problem. To our knowledge, the blockage didn't happen again. So much for being Pee-Cee. Razz

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The British diet
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1