HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finally got these finished.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
millerman

millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

Finally got these finished. Empty
PostSubject: Finally got these finished.   Finally got these finished. EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Well, I've been working way too much lately which is generally the case in the summer. So I haven't had much time to participate in the forum, and even less time for making pipes. Back in the spring I started a pipe that was supposed to be just a fun freehand type. I wanted to make like ridge towards the top of the bowl that would fit the contour of your hand when holding the pipe. Kind of an ergo type of deal. Well after starting this pipe a friend at work came to me with a hand drawn design, that he wanted me to make. My first thought was, this thing is ugly. It had four points on the corners of the bowl, this web that came down to the shank, and then he started his add ons. Could you turn one of the points in ward, and could you make an accent ring for the stem? So, of course, I said sure. Seemed like a fun challenge. So I set the first one to the side and jumped in. Then I started working 70 to 80 hours a week. So I was trying to steal 20 to 30 minutes a day to work on it. During which I've taken it to the beach with me on vacation to try to get some of it done. And back home again. I would get one where I thought it was ready for stain, then get back on the other. After I would get that close, I'd see something on the other that I thought I could make better. So these have taken forever to finish. Now I'm sure I need a lathe to work with. A Rotozip is nice but if I'm going to be doing accent rings I need better equipment to work with. Hope yall enjoy looking at them.

Here's the fun one I started on first.

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4465_zps32ea1aa5" />

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4466_zpsade8329d" />

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4467_zpscbaed76a" />

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4468_zps57e8fb34" />

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4469_zps7c654ce7" />

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4470_zps7ba104bb" />

Now the weird one commissioned for a buddy.

Finally got these finished. CIMG4471_zps8ee31d14

Finally got these finished. CIMG4472_zps3b3ab2da

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4473_zps174f3a07" />

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4474_zpsa460093b" />

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4475_zps8ce27083" />

Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4476_zpsd75715af" />Finally got these finished. <a href=Finally got these finished. CIMG4477_zps5bd80159" />

Thanks to all that took the time to look.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally got these finished.   Finally got these finished. EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 8:36 pm

You certainly did his idea proud.
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: What Are You Smoking Right Now?   Finally got these finished. EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Gorgeous grain on those pipes..not wild about the "commish" pipe but still an outstanding labor of love/job/imagination.

Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Finally got these finished.   Finally got these finished. EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 9:55 pm

You do nice work. Terrific grain presentation on those.

Not my style of pipes but they are certainly unique and you should be proud!

Cheers,

RR

Finally got these finished. Purple11x 3Finally got these finished. Bombx10Finally got these finished. Bombx10  Finally got these finished. D6bddf10 Finally got these finished. 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Finally got these finished. Cowboy13Finally got these finished. 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
millerman

millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Finally got these finished.   Finally got these finished. EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks. I'm not crazy about the commish either. It actually does feel pretty good in your hand though. I was surprised. The grain on both turned out well I thought. Thanks for looking and nice comments.
Back to top Go down
bosun1

bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Finally got these finished.   Finally got these finished. EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 7:38 am

Good looking work!
Weird, no. Different, yes!
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally got these finished.   Finally got these finished. EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 9:47 am

Both are very beautiful great job.
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Boulder&Briar

Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Finally got these finished.   Finally got these finished. EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 4:16 pm

I really like the first one. Nice job on getting the most out of that grain!
Back to top Go down
http://www.boulderandbriar.com
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Finally got these finished.   Finally got these finished. EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 4:31 pm

The commissioned pipe looks like a dangerous, amphibious creature's hand/foot. It's kind of cool.

Nice freehand work.

Cool
Back to top Go down

Finally got these finished.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: