HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bird owners?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Bird owners?   Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Last fall I purchased a red factor canary. I named him Ferrold. Ferrold has almost been with me a year and molting currently. I've quite enjoyed this addition and am curious if any other BoB's are bird owners. Hook bill or otherwise. If their is an experienced canary and or finch owner among us I'd like to talk to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:12 pm

I used to own 2 Cockatiels for a few years till we had to let them go when I moved. And I've owned a few other smaller parrots. I think they're fantastic little buddies and entertaining for HOURS a day.

One of my cockatiels used to whistle along to the Ed, Edd, & Eddy theme song, which is a song made of mostly whistling.

I've never had a finch or a canary so I can't help you there, but you got a fellow bird lover here brother!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:00 pm

Sweet, here is another bird lover!

Note: I should have made the line in my previous post about wanting to talk to a canary finch owner a separate paragraph. I singled them out only because I have some specific questions about my set up. All bird folk are welcome here.Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Some branches of my family are obsessed with birds, mostly smaller hookbills. You name it, it's probably cycled in and out of my life somehow.

There's a reason why I own a chinchilla and a blue-tongued lizard--they're quiet. Birds are cool, I know a lot about them, but it's wasted on someone who finds most of their squawking and carrying on to be painful. Laughing I like birds outside, and love horses, dogs and cats in the care of others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:42 am

I had a Congo African Grey at one time, but let my ex keep her when we split up. As Kyle mentioned, some birds can be extremely noisy, but there are some others which are much quieter. They all seem to have negatives and positives.

Overall, I really enjoyed having a parrot as a pet, but there is a lot to learn about these animals and their unique needs. They are much different than owning a dog or cat, and it can take awhile to understand exactly why they behave in the manner that they do.

One aspect that is to be considered, is their ability to bond with a human, and the negative response from the bird, if they are separated from their owner for any reason. When my ex and I split up, the parrots response to me being absent, was to pluck most of her feathers out from the stress involved. I felt bad about that, and did not know about the higher level of responsibility involved in owning that particular type of bird. The proper approach, is to buy this type of bird with a lifelong commitment, since they take it really hard if they are shuffled around from owner to owner. I have considered buying another, but can't really make that committment now that I know the repercussions of unstable circumstances. Plus, they require some daily direct attention, or else they can react the same way by plucking their feathers if they are isolated too much.

Some are worse than others when it comes to this type behavior. If a potential owner does some thorough research, they can select a bird that fits their lifestyle much better. For instance, I would love to own a Moluccan Cockatoo, but they need a huge expensive cage, large expensive toys, and they tend to go off verbally twice a day, making them a bad choice for someone living in an apartment or condo.

Overall though, I am really glad I had the experience of having a parrot as a pet. Some can live 60 to 100 years, so they can be a lifelong companion that brings a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:36 am

I don't own any birds other than the ones I have mounted on the walls. Upland birds and waterfowl. I mostly shoot em and eat em.
Quail, pheasant, partridge, woodcock, Black duck, Wood Duck, Teal.
Guess I'm in the wrong bird category.
Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:34 am

I really wanted a parrot for a number of years. But vet bills for cats didn't need to increase with vet bills for birds. Plus my vet disparages birds, saying that they besiege their owners in a variety of ways. But then again many people love them. In the end the noise stops me. If I got a throaty one I would not be happy.
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Bird owners?   Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 am

Dutch said: "

"did not know about the higher level of responsibility involved in owning that particular type of bird. The proper approach, is to buy this type of bird with a lifelong commitment, since they take it really hard if they are shuffled around from owner to owner."

Thank you! 

So many people adopt an animal (dog or cat or other) without thinking if they are able to properly take care of it.  They are expensive and worth every dime.  But they have feelings too, and get attached as you would expect, and then to be shuffled off to someone else like they are a piece of meat.... makes me want to be violent.

I have had a number of rescue dogs and the conditions they came from would horrify anyone with an ounce of humanity in them. Last one came to me had no hair, no teeth and nails that had curled back on themselves and was digging into his foot pads.  Little feller is beautiful today...full of life and love.

People can be such trash...makes me sick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:21 am

Here is an interesting video, that explains just how intelligent these birds can be, and why they can require an above average level of commitment on the part of the owner.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:36 am

Dutch wrote:
Here is an interesting video, that explains just how intelligent these birds can be, and why they can require an above average level of commitment on the part of the owner...
THat was an awesome video. I had heard many times that the cognitive skills were on par with a 4 year old child before but that was just amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 am

I've had a cockatiel for nearly twenty years.
Always been an ornery mofo; likes to bite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:27 am

We have a Green Cheek Conure. They can be a lot of work, "Stevie"s cage gets cleaned weekly. I keep another cage out on the patio for use in the warm weather, he loves to be outside. He's become one of the characters in our neighborhood and people are used to seeing me with him on my shoulder.

We've had him for seven years now. One of my pipe buddies in PA recently lost an Amazon he owned for 35 years, so yes, owning a bird is a life long commitment!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:17 am

Stevie is very handsome. How long is he roughly? Is he smaller than other types of conures?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Well, I got 20 chickens. I get plenty of eggs everyday. Enough to sell to pay fer the feed. They give me plenty of fertilizer fer my garden. And when they stop laying I get to eat them. This probably wasn't what you were looking fer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Bird owners?   Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:19 pm

millerman wrote:
Well, I got 20 chickens. I get plenty of eggs everyday. Enough to sell to pay fer the feed. They give me plenty of fertilizer fer my garden. And when they stop laying I get to eat them. This probably wasn't what you were looking fer.
Gonna call the National Association of Chickens on yer ass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:20 pm

millerman wrote:
It's a more honest keeping than people who neglect, are ignorant of, or abuse their animals.   I love you

My Mum has a green cheeked conure, too, Al.   Nicky.  Interesting bird.  If it wasn't for that bird, I think my mother would be a lot worse off than she is at the moment.  They're inseparable.  Perfect for one another.   Both sweet at heart and crazy in the coconut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:11 am

juanmedusa wrote:
Stevie is very handsome. How long is he roughly? Is he smaller than other types of conures?
Green Cheeks are a bit smaller than Sun's or other conure (they are also significantly quieter). Stevie repeats certain whistles to me, but they don't learn to speak. He is definitely a one-person bird and pretty much only lets me handle him. To my wife's dismay, he goes after her at certain times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:47 pm

Hey pepesdad, please don't call the NAC. They always want to throw there peckers where they don't belong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:27 pm

riff raff wrote:
Green Cheeks are a bit smaller than Sun's or other conure (they are also significantly quieter).  Stevie repeats certain whistles to me, but they don't learn to speak.  He is definitely a one-person bird and pretty much only lets me handle him.   To my wife's dismay, he goes after her at certain times.  
The the less brightly colored the conure, the quieter the bird.  Certain makes and models of birds beg to be noticed, to all the senses.   Like people, they often have multiple methods of doing this...display, noise, bravado.  Laughing   This isn't to say personality from bird to bird will adhere to this generalization.

Green-cheek and maroon-bellied conures are among the world's finest hookbills.  Their warbling, quiet voices and "words," while sounding like a little space alien, is the best (though they can be boisterous once in a while).  They are big personality in a small package.  No easier to care for than a large macaw, though.  They require a ton of attention.

I don't care what experts might disagree, all hookbills are "one person birds."   Most will have a flock, but pair for life.  There is a pecking order (seriously) and an instinctual social structure.  "Three" is not a good bird number.   I.e., wife, husband, bird.   Any odd numbers are seen as mating competition in the flock, be they feathered or naked ape members.   Exceptions to this are cockatiels, which while sweet, are more heart than brains, and their Aussie neighbors the humble budgie, aka, the parakeet.  Parakeets are amazing animals, being wholly smart, simple to train, easy to care for and don't require so much personal attention as their larger counterparts.  

The worst, but my favorite birds are cockatoos.  They are feathered three-year-olds.  Just as loud, attention-hungry and with all the brains, gumption and emotions of a human child.  I would never own one, but when cared for, are lovely animals.  Especially Gallahs.  A close second would be some of the smaller true macaws, such as military, hahns, and severe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Bird owners?   Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Very interesting info Kyle, thanks for sharing that expertise.  I agree on the numbers equation and never saw it communicated in that manner (mimics our situation exactly).

We do catch Stevie doing what we call "muttering to himself", seemingly mimicking our utterances. He also is very responsive to loud rock & roll music. Every once in a while, when someone is laughing, he will also mimic those sounds, which never fails to crack us up.

If someone really wants a bird, and are anywhere near NJ, check out "Bird Paradise", which is billed as the worlds largest bird store. At any given time they have several hundred birds on site. I get all of Steve's food here. They have a Parrot-Paloza event in October that is supposed to be pretty big. I love getting to see all manner of parrots, cockatoos, hookbills, even Toocans! You can also handle most of the birds, if you are brave enough. Some of the larger Amazons can be pretty intimidating. I have noticed that Cockatiels are quite loving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bird owners?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1