HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Well damn it, my thinly veiled ploy to see a pic of you wearing a fez didn't work.
Ok.
Here's a record I played on, back in 1993.
I'm wearing the Buddy Holly glasses.
And it's a terrible record.
In 1993 eh? Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Mozjo33 wrote:
I collect watches.  I've always had a fascination with them my entire life.  My collection has dwindled because I am focusing on quality over quantity.  I'm not in the realm of Rolex or Omega, but I do have some nice pieces.
Those are some nice one's sir. I collected some Camel watches for awhile LOL! But seriously I did but, that's about the limit of my pocket book and used coupons to get them. Love old pocket watches but, sadly can't afford to collect them either. But, I did finally find one reasonable enough to purchase to carry. After eons of wanting one I found a Waltham from 1906 with a silveroid case. Nothing fancy but, she's without cracks and runs fine.
I keep my eyes out for pocket watches, especially for Walthams.  Beautiful pieces.  

I have about 10 watches right now.  As soon as I started with pipes, the watches slowed down. Imagine that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Jers wrote:
Mozjo33 wrote:
I collect watches.  I've always had a fascination with them my entire life.  My collection has dwindled because I am focusing on quality over quantity.  I'm not in the realm of Rolex or Omega, but I do have some nice pieces.

Two lovely watches brother - fantastic illumination on the Deep Blue. cheers

What make is the other watch?

P
Fraternally

Jers
I have three Deep Blues.  Fantastic watch for the money.  Their customer service is out of the world.  The Deep Blue is illuminated with 64 Tritium Tubes.  They constantly glow with out the need of a charge from light.

The watch you asked about is a Steinhart Nav B Uhr (B type). It has an Swiss ETA 2824 (same with he Deep Blue pictured) movement.  It is a WWII era style plot watch. One of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Mozjo33 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Mozjo33 wrote:
Those are some nice one's sir. I collected some Camel watches for awhile LOL! But seriously I did but, that's about the limit of my pocket book and used coupons to get them. Love old pocket watches but, sadly can't afford to collect them either. But, I did finally find one reasonable enough to purchase to carry. After eons of wanting one I found a Waltham from 1906 with a silveroid case. Nothing fancy but, she's without cracks and runs fine.
I keep my eyes out for pocket watches, especially for Walthams.  Beautiful pieces.  

I have about 10 watches right now.  As soon as I started with pipes, the watches slowed down. Imagine that!
Yeah, some pipes are pricier then some of them watches or just as. I'm only allowed to collect one certain item at a time. My pocket book won't allow several collections at a time anymore.
Like I NEED more collections.
Back to top Go down
smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:37 pm

I kinda collect old books nothing to series its just something I like to do. I have way to many guitars but that was not intentional.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:46 pm

I don't know if I really collect books or just accumulated books. I several complete sets of vintage Audel's plumbing, electrical, carpentry and mechanics also several sets of vintage encyclopedias, antique books of different kinds dating into the 1800's, antique price guides of course, vintage How to books from the 30's to 50's and atlases so on. Yeah, just accumulated without rhyme or reason except I liked them.
Back to top Go down
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Mozjo33 wrote:

I have three Deep Blues.  Fantastic watch for the money.  Their customer service is out of the world.  The Deep Blue is illuminated with 64 Tritium Tubes.  They constantly glow with out the need of a charge from light.

The watch you asked about is a Steinhart Nav B Uhr (B type). It has an Swiss ETA 2824 (same with he Deep Blue pictured) movement.  It is a WWII era style plot watch. One of my favorites.
The Steinhart is a stunner.

Thanks

Jers

Arghhhhh! I just visited the Steinhart Internet store.......very, very tempting! Twisted Evil

Last edited by Jers on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : WAD)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Well damn it, my thinly veiled ploy to see a pic of you wearing a fez didn't work.
Ok.
In 1993 eh? Suspect
Yup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Ok.
In 1993 eh? Suspect
Yup.
The reason I said that was that I thought you might just be yanking our leg.
The album cover looks to be from the 50's in style and graphics is why.
Back to top Go down
Mozjo33

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:48 am

Jers wrote:
Mozjo33 wrote:

The Steinhart is a stunner.

Thanks

Jers

Arghhhhh! I just visited the Steinhart Internet store.......very, very tempting! Twisted Evil
Jets, you will not be disappointed!!!!!!!!  And it won't be the only one you get!!!!Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:55 am

Harlock999 wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:

Fezzes
POIDH, sir.
Here's the only Potentate's fez I was able to find during my fez phase.
This is one of about 150 or so...

This is one of the most ornate fezzes in my collection.
The Mystic Order of Veiled Prophets of the Enchanted Realm

Some nice looking Fez's....I am into collecting older Masonic books & items, I should definitely look into some of the Shriner Fez's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 am

[quote="Hiram-2011"][quote="Harlock999"][quote="Briarbabe"]
Harlock999 wrote:

Some nice looking Fez's....I am into collecting older Masonic books & items, I should definitely look into some of the Shriner Fez's.
Somewhere in storage I have some very old Masonic aprons and Shriner
costumes...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:02 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
I actually put that record cover together, using the OLD cut and paste method.
Scissors, glue, copy machines and Letraset letters.
The large image on the cover is from an early '60's Stag Party "comedy" album.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Other than pipes...
I collect Doctor Who stuff...mostly episodes, but I have books, magazines, music, cards, figures, clothing, etc. Yeah, I'm a geeky collector. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
I actually put that record cover together, using the OLD cut and paste method.
Scissors, glue, copy machines and Letraset letters.
The large image on the cover is from an early '60's Stag Party "comedy" album.
Ah! That explains why it looks old.
Back to top Go down
denholrl

Registration date : 2012-10-19

PostSubject: Collecting   Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:15 pm

My wife hand I collect hand-thrown pottery. Also, I collect Social Security.

Rob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:40 pm

denholrl wrote:
My wife hand I collect hand-thrown pottery.  Also, I collect Social Security.

Rob
Small world Rob!
I also collect hand thrown pottery, well......I use to, the ex-wife would throw it and I tried to catch it.
Not to mention SS also.Cool 
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:10 pm

I knew there had to be a thread... found it! I like reading about and seeing other peoples' collections. At one time or another, I collected almost everything, or so it seems. I have always liked man-things from earlier generations, razors, aftershave bottles, knives, guns, etc... I had stored up quite a collection. I also used to collect old monastery art and architecture. Recently, (two or three years ago), I got to looking around and wondering what in the world I was doing with all of this "stuff". So, I have been in the process of eliminating tons of the stuff. I still have a garage full that I am slowly eliminating on ebay.

I am finding that the more I get rid of, the freer I feel. I have kept my favorite "useful" pieces of various collections, but the majority I just realized no longer brought me any pleasure.

The only thing I have kept that doesn't serve any real purpose is a few of my old pressed metal trucks from my childhood. Just can't seem to want to part with them. So, I don't know that I actually have a "collection" of them. There are about 4 that were mine as a kid and I have bought two more in recent years.

Collecting can be fun, but it can also be a sickness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:07 pm

I come from a whisky family in Scotland so I collect private bottled single malt whisky. After I moved to the States i decided to collect and share with my friends. Each quarter we do a tasting of 5 bottles and I usually send them home with guests. I have about 550 bottles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Looking at this from a mid-life point of view. I would like to collect more income producing assets.

Here is to hoping this strategy allows me to indulge in PAD & TAD for many long years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:21 am

Ah, yes, I forgot, I have a tiny collection of glass insulators. I think they are pretty and I love finding different companies, shapes, etc. I bought the sweetheart one that was from the Pennsylvania Railroad as he's a train buff. I'd like to take some of the more common ones and build a chandelier with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
CharlG

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Mr Macpherson, you're a man after my own heart!
cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:00 pm

I tend to collect, not in any discernable pattern or order: tools, books, knives, truck parts, survival gear, guns, ammo, and of course, pipes and tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:43 pm

CharlG wrote:
Mr Macpherson, you're a man after my own heart!
cheers

Wonderful. We must get together then and tap the glass. Best.

Tom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES   Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:45 pm

Beer and books. The books I read, the beer I drink... But like my tobacco, choice selection for my tastes! I have a great pipe smoking library to read in and wonderful beer bar to indulge in smoke and drink.

now if my wife only let me smoke in them...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

WHAT DO YOU COLLECT OTHER THEN TOBACCO & PIPES
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next