AuthorMessage
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:42 pm

As promised, here are the steps of making BSP - P5

Info': this pipe is sold.

Some of the Brothers here have been exceedingly kind, to help me get the Briar Spirit Pipes Project under way they have purchased 3 pipe kits for me to makes pipes from to help raise funds for tools. The kits are from Mark Tinsky in America and they are lovely pieces of Briar, 2 of them have Plateaux tops and the third is a lower grade Ebauchon, I cannot tell you how profoundly moved I am by this wonderful display of kindness and generosity, you guys are the best, thanks guys.

I am going to take you all through the process of making BSP P5 so you can all see the pipe taking shape stage by stage, I rather thought that might be a fun thing for us all to be a part of, this is how the block looked when it arrived.

BSP - P5 IMG_0835-1

BSP - P5 IMG_0833

BSP - P5 IMG_0834

BSP - P5 IMG_0830

BSP - P5 IMG_0829

BSP - P5 IMG_0836

BSP - P5 IMG_0831

BSP - P5 IMG_0832

The first stage I am dong now is removing the bark from the Plateaux top, picture to follow when this is done plus I will let you all know what will be done after that is done.

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load / sold info added)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Okay then, I have removed the bark from the Plateaux top, that was one seriously tedious and slow work let me tell ya, phew, still it's done now eh. I tried using the Draper multi-toot the brass wire wheel flew apart after around 6 minutes of trying with it and the damn thing got too hot to hold, so back to the tooth pick and my ancient and tiny brass wire brush, 5 1/2 hours later and all the bark was off, looks quite nice naked actually but I have a plan..........

BSP - P5 IMG_0840

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Right so, this was the first bit of staining, it got done before any other work to the pipe as the main bowl is going to be a lot lighter than the top and I didn't want the dark stain to bleed onto the areas to be lighter, can anyone guess what the pipe is going to be yet?

BSP - P5 IMG_0841

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty

The end effect desired is to have a light brown top with some dark and moody base area to the Plateaux, so I had to wash off the majority of the dark stain to allow for this to take place at a later date, don't want to be doing this sort of thing after shaping, it would risk losing any crisp lines, nasty naughty lost lines. Smile

Any one guessed the pipe shape to come yet!?

BSP - P5 IMG_0843

Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty

I seriously need to get new saws, both my Tenon saw and Long saw have bends in them, no kidding, oh well, onward and upwards eh, these are the cutting away of the bulk Briar not wanted, didn't go precisely to plan but it isn't far off, the shape is still very much going to happen so that's grand news. Going to be a little harder than I would like for the intersection point of the shank and bowl to be made but it should go okay, got to get to work with the files now, ho-hum, here comes the cramps again, such fun.

Ah come on, some one has got to be able to have a guess at the shape now, no points for saying a freehand Danish because you'd be miles off!

BSP - P5 IMG_0848

BSP - P5 IMG_0847

BSP - P5 IMG_0844

BSP - P5 IMG_0845

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:44 pm

At this stage I realised the shape I wanted to do wasn't going to be possible.

BSP - P5 IMG_0852-1

BSP - P5 IMG_0849-1

BSP - P5 IMG_0853-1

BSP - P5 IMG_0850-1

BSP - P5 IMG_0851-1

BSP - P5 IMG_0852

BSP - P5 IMG_0851

BSP - P5 IMG_0849

BSP - P5 IMG_0853

BSP - P5 IMG_0850

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:44 pm

A little more shaping done to the shank and bowl..

BSP - P5 IMG_0856

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Starting to get the Shroom shape going on, more work done on the stem....

BSP - P5 IMG_0863

BSP - P5 IMG_0860

BSP - P5 IMG_0865

BSP - P5 IMG_0859

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:45 pm

These are shots of two stages along the way really, more work done on correcting the stem being off kilter, which didn't go so well, and more work on the stummel over all and more refining to the stem shape changes.

BSP - P5 IMG_0876

BSP - P5 IMG_0877

BSP - P5 IMG_0875

BSP - P5 IMG_0870

BSP - P5 IMG_0871

BSP - P5 IMG_0869

BSP - P5 IMG_0872

BSP - P5 IMG_0874

BSP - P5 IMG_0873

BSP - P5 IMG_0868

BSP - P5 IMG_0879

BSP - P5 IMG_0880

BSP - P5 IMG_0867

BSP - P5 IMG_0866

BSP - P5 IMG_0878

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Here the final shaping is finished and the fine sanding is done, all ready for stain and wax.........

BSP - P5 IMG_0883

BSP - P5 IMG_0882

BSP - P5 IMG_0888

BSP - P5 IMG_0889

BSP - P5 IMG_0881

BSP - P5 IMG_0885

BSP - P5 IMG_0886

BSP - P5 IMG_0884

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Here's 'Shroom' all finished up, aint she purdy.

BSP - P5 IMG_0907

BSP - P5 IMG_0906

BSP - P5 IMG_0905

BSP - P5 IMG_0904

BSP - P5 IMG_0898

BSP - P5 IMG_0900

BSP - P5 IMG_0909

BSP - P5 IMG_0901

BSP - P5 IMG_0902

BSP - P5 IMG_0908

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changed to smaller images to help with page load)
Back to top Go down
Draagha

Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:50 pm

WOW! affraid 

That thing is gorgeous! I LOVE that shape! affraid 

I hadn't even read anything when I said "That looks like a mushroom" and I JUST read you called it 'Shroom'.

Very fitting, very awesome shape, and the grain is beautiful!

P.S. You're too hard on yourself, Kirk. I wouldn't call that a flop at all. If I had the money, you'd be short a pipe right now m'friend.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:56 pm

THAT is one NICE LOOKING PIPE !!Razz Razz Razz  A hybrid Calabash/Dublin sort of shape and that is some FANTASTIC straight grain !! Nice, nice, nice !!! Razz  Razz 
Back to top Go down

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 7:06 pm

How is the stem off kilter?  I can't see it.  It is bent and a softened square.  It fits well.  You can't put it in upside down if it isn't flippable.

Offer it for sale. It got nice grain and a unique shape.  It will sell.  

You will never make a perfect pipe. IT IS HANDMADE.  I have gotten far worse than your work.  I had a Sav that when you flipped the stem 180 was off by almost the thickness of a dime.  It was a good smoker though -- until I dropped it and broke the tennon.

You don't have a lathe or power equipment to make it perfect -- if there is such an animal. You made a nice pipe. Live with that and be proud.
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 7:19 pm

It turned out nicely Kirk!
Back to top Go down
millerman

millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Super great job brother. I love it! Great job. And I really appreciate the pics showing through the process. I like seeing the process better than the finish sometimes. Thanks fer sharing.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Kirk,
Since it's not PERFECT, I can understand how you would not want to sell it so just wrap 'er up send it over here and I promise, I WON'T let ANYONE else but me and my kittehs see it while I load up an ALL DAY smoke of some of McC's 2035 in it and smoke it this winter !! Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 8:06 pm

It looks pretty darn good Kirk. I don't believe the stem and or shank is off, I think maybe a little more was taken off the bowl on one side giving it that illusion. At least that's what it looks like to me in the photos.
All in all I think it's a handsome pipe and you should put it up for sale. You have nothing to to loose except the work and cost of materials and everything to gain. And if it doesn't sell you'll have a fine smoker I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 9:05 pm

I think you did a fine job Kirk. It's unique and has style. Your style.

You should be proud!

Cool 

Cheers,

RR

BSP - P5 Purple11x 3BSP - P5 Bombx10BSP - P5 Bombx10  BSP - P5 D6bddf10 BSP - P5 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d BSP - P5 Cowboy13BSP - P5 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 12:44 am

Kirk, that is another super pipe brother. I know any of the brothers here would be more than happy with it! It's beautiful and you really should let someone enjoy it please don't religate it to a box! I understand wanting to give only your best work but given the tools you're using I'm absolutely amazed by the work you turn out. Seriously let somebody buy it!

Jim
Back to top Go down
Jers

Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 3:10 am

Nice job!cheers

Thanks for posting the photographs of the process. Very interesting and enjoyable read.

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 3:22 am

You guys are so sweet, I am truly humbled and heartened by your kind words, I'm actually choked up a little here, I seriously expected a bit of "not hard to see why you wont sell it seeing as it's so crap" comments, I should have known better with you guys, thank you for your kindness, I am deeply moved.

It is flawed and is not acceptable to me as a pipe to sell, I cannot and will not try to sell it, as it is too deep for me to even consider trying to fill I'll never smoke it and that is a crying shame. I made a bit of a cock up with ordering stems for the Briar blocks I ordered and have had to pay an extra wallop of dosh to get the stems replaced, the guy is being super nice considering I made a mess of the original order but it has cost me dearly and left me insanely skint, so skint I wont even be able to afford baccy for quite a while.

I would happily let a Brother here have it as a gift but I can't even afford to put the damn thing in the mail, sounds ridiculous I know but that's the way of it. If a Brother wants to mail me sufficient funds to mail the pipe to them I would happily do that, I know it's weird asking a Brother to pay for the mailing of a gift but outside of that in the box it stays. I wont be offended if no one really wants it even as a gift, you guys have been super nice about it and that is wonderful enough to me. I love you 
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 10:44 am

Brother Kirk, man they are just getting better and better that is a great looking pipe, thanks for the pic's they were perfect great job once again.
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 11:50 am

Kirk, it started as a $35 kit.  It is nice straight grain.  It has all your work in it.  It should smoke like a dream.  

Look around at the custom pipe makers and pricing.  There is room for you to offer the pipe and make a smoker happy and make a few pounds.

Craftsmen are always the most critical of their own work.  That's normal and even beneficial.  

Don't let misplaced embarrassment stop you.  Put it on ebay and start it at the minimum to order a new kit to process.  You don't even have to make it a BSP pipe.  Just say it is entirely hand made.  

So, find out what shipping cost are and use that and put it up for a starting price of 25-pounds.  OK?  Then get yourself a tin with the profit and relax with a smoke and we'll all relax.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

BSP - P5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 12:45 pm

JKenP wrote:
Kirk, it started as a $35 kit.  It is nice straight grain.  It has all your work in it.  It should smoke like a dream.  

Look around at the custom pipe makers and pricing.  There is room for you to offer the pipe and make a smoker happy and make a few pounds.

Craftsmen are always the most critical of their own work.  That's normal and even beneficial.  

Don't let misplaced embarrassment stop you.  Put it on ebay and start it at the minimum to order a new kit to process.  You don't even have to make it a BSP pipe.  Just say it is entirely hand made.  

So, find out what shipping cost are and use that and put it up for a starting price of 25-pounds.  OK?  Then get yourself a tin  with the profit and relax with a smoke and we'll all relax.
Good advice, take it!
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/

BSP - P5
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: