Beautiful pipe brother.
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Guys Please, I know all the arguments regarding the sale of this pipe, please believe me when I tell you this has really put a spanner in the works for me. I have failed to raise the funds I need to get my pipe project going and it's all falling apart around my head, being able to sell this pipe for a a fair amount could have helped me get there.

If I ever sold a pipe I want the buyer to know beyond any shadow of a doubt that said pipe is being sold because 'I' consider it to be good to go. It would be dishonest of me to even try to sell this pipe and I will not betray my own self belief system, it would shame me to do so and I will not allow that to happen, people who know me may not like me very much but the one thing they all have in common is they all know they can trust me, they know my word can be trusted. This is so because I will not allow myself to break my own personal rules, if I try to sell this pipe I will be betraying myself and everyone else, I'm sorry guys but I just cannot do that.

I'm never going to be any kind of big time pipe maker, that isn't even something I want, making pipes is something I 'need' to do to give me a sense of self worth, nothing more and nothing less.

@monbla256, you're the only one who has even hinted at maybe wanting this pipe, I get it, mailing dosh from America to England to get me to send this pipe to you is a pain you don't need. I will keep it by for you and when I am straight financially I will ship the pipe out to you, it'll be a good long while yet to be honest but I will put a note on the calendar to remind me, it will get sent out to you, okay.
Back to top Go down

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey, it isn't as big a problem as you are making it. So, put it on ebay and tell them what is wrong. Just tell them. Don't express your anguish. Tell them the wood is from a know source -- Mark Tinsky. Lets see what happens doing that.

I am sure Monbla agrees.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 am

Oh no no no no, I wont ride on the back of some one who has worked hard to gain their reputation, Mark is the only one entitled to put his name to work, I wont include his name in anything I do, it's just not ethical to me.

Seriously, no one wants the darn thing huh, I guess monblah was just mucking around huh, okay, no problem, to the shed and in the box it goes, I might cut the top off so the bowl is shallower so I can use it then, damn shame that, oh well, when ya make a dud ya got to accept that reality.
Back to top Go down

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 10:07 am

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
Oh no no no no, I wont ride on the back of some one who has worked hard to gain their reputation, Mark is the only one entitled to put his name to work, I wont include his name in anything I do, it's just not ethical to me.

Seriously, no one wants the darn thing huh, I guess monblah was just mucking around huh, okay, no problem, to the shed and in the box it goes, I might cut the top off so the bowl is shallower so I can use it then, damn shame that, oh well, when ya make a dud ya got to accept that reality.
You are not riding on another person's back.  It is Mark Tinsky wood.  What someone else does with it does not reflect on him. It is his wood but what it becomes does not reflect on him.

Did I say Monbla wouldn't want it.  No, I attempted to say he'd be happy to see you profit from it.  

Look, damnit, its a decent pipe.  You excelled making it with very limited tools.  Ask any pipe maker if they are ever satisfied.  The good ones never are.

There is nothing wrong with sending it to ebay.  There the marketplace will decide its worth.  It won't be on your shoulders or ethics if you put up the pictures and provide dimensions.  If you want to say that the stem mating or whatever could be better, fine.  Don't be afraid to fail; some great people have.

It is a damn nice looking pipe.  Someone will enjoy the heck out of it!
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 12:38 pm

JKenP wrote:
Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:

You are not riding on another person's back.  It is Mark Tinsky wood.  What someone else does with it does not reflect on him. It is his wood but what it becomes does not reflect on him.

Did I say Monbla wouldn't want it.  No, I attempted to say he'd be happy to see you profit from it.  

Look, damnit, its a decent pipe.  You excelled making it with very limited tools.  Ask any pipe maker if they are ever satisfied.  The good ones never are.

There is nothing wrong with sending it to ebay.  There the marketplace will decide its worth.  It won't be on your shoulders or ethics if you put up the pictures and provide dimensions.  If you want to say that the stem mating or whatever could be better, fine.  Don't be afraid to fail; some great people have.

It is a damn nice looking pipe.  Someone will enjoy the heck out of it!
Kirk,
Listen to what KenJ says, it's fair and solid advice. I thouroughly understand your holding to your principles, but realize that others may see things you don't and give them a good listen. Put that puppy up for sale some way as it is WORTH being bought. And as much as I would like a "gift" pipe, DO NOT give it to me. SELL it and get some return for your talent Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Can I not call my music my own if it was made on a Korg or a Moog? Do I have to build the instrument from scratch to call it that? Will I have to also mine the metal, refine the plastics, and source the raw materials? Would I have to create the ground from which they all come?

Then, I'd be God, and that, by a long shot, I am not. Eventually I have to take a little credit. Nothing is ever good enough in my world of creating things. That's a tough hill to climb. Eventually I got over it and figured if someone values it, then so be it.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:46 pm

This pipe is under offer.

I understand everything you guys are saying and I thank you all for being so supportive, I have explained many times why I cannot use ebay, I am concerned explaining again may seem like I am whining again, so weird getting told to stop whining here via PM, kind of made me uncomfortable and more than a little embarrassed actually.

monbla, I hear ya buddy, well, I will make a pipe especially for you once I have some more tools, no arguments, I would like to do that for you, okay.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
This pipe is under offer.

I understand everything you guys are saying and I thank you all for being so supportive, I have explained many times why I cannot use ebay, I am concerned explaining again may seem like I am whining again, so weird getting told to stop whining here via PM, kind of made me uncomfortable and more than a little embarrassed actually.

monbla, I hear ya buddy, well, I will make a pipe especially for you once I have some more tools, no arguments, I would like to do that for you, okay.
Kirk,
I do appreciate the offer and will not ignore the spirit it is offered in, but take some time for yourself to "get it down" and be satisfied with your efforts. In the field of creative endevours, one will ALWAYS feel that "it could be better" but just learn to accept the efforts you make for what they are, YOUR BEST efforts. Now get in that shop and learn all the tricks that drill press will show ya !! Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 2:46 am

I hear ya Buddy and will do. Smile

This pipe is sold folks, more zany pipes to come. Wink
Back to top Go down

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 am

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
I hear ya Buddy and will do. Smile

This pipe is sold folks, more zany pipes to come. Wink
Wasn't as bad as you thought. Hope the profit will land you some tobacco.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Kirk, you're as cute as a button and stubborn as a mule.

...or is that the other way around?   tongue

Glad you're seeing some opportunity here, whatever that may be.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 5:49 pm

I"m late to the party:D 

Beautiful pipe!

I'm glad someone talked to you and made you see the light!

Congratulations on the sale.

If it was all about perfect everyone would demand machine made pipes.

It is about style and you got truck loads of that! (Not that I saw anything wrong with that pipe...so maybe you got both)
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:23 pm

JKenP wrote:
Wasn't as bad as you thought.  Hope the profit will land you some tobacco.
Wouldn't that be grand, nah, I have purchased some files, sanding pads, safety goggles and dust masks, I am so excited I can't tell you how cool this is, the stems have arrived with the right tenons this time and I am so eager to get going. I've finished the other two pipe kits, will be posting about those later, one's a huge monsters of a chunky Pot, it is so cute I could almost eat the darn thing and the other is a gorgeous Bent Billiard with a Plateaux top, my god it is so gorgeous I can't tell you how hard it is going to be letting it go. I was practising drilling today, I drilled two of th 5 blocks that aint any good for pipes, the first one was a tad off centre and I drilled past the baccy chamber a bit, no big deal as it was a crappy block, the 2nd attempt was 'perfect', I feel all pleased with myself, I thought drilling was going to be a real rascal to get to grips with but it just took a bit of planning and viola, smug mode engaged. cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Kirk, you're as cute as a button and stubborn as a mule.

...or is that the other way around?   tongue

Glad you're seeing some opportunity here, whatever that may be.  

Cool
Cute as a Mule and stubborn as a button, now don't that just about beat all. lol! 

Thank you my friend, I'm almost a proper pipe maker Kyle, how cool is that. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Slide wrote:
I"m late to the party:D 

Beautiful pipe!

I'm glad someone talked to you and made you see the light!

Congratulations on the sale.

If it was all about perfect everyone would demand machine made pipes.

It is about style and you got truck loads of that! (Not that I saw anything wrong with that pipe...so maybe you got both)
How delightfully kind of you Buddy, thank you so very much for your encouragement, means a great deal to me. sunny 
Back to top Go down

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Carpenters say, "Measure twice; cut once."  Drilling holes isn't any different.  Did it come with a vice?

Not sure what you are planning for briar ebauchons. But Mark Tinsky sell them for around a $10 spot for a 2 3/4" and makes lovely invoices.  If you should sell a pipe "over here", you might have them direct the money there.  Save the exchange rate and all.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Heya Buddy, I am going to be ordering better Briar from a lady in Tuscany, she's really nice and friendly and some really big pipe makers have great things to say about her and her Briar. There's no problems with importing from there, no extra fees and she does amazing discounts for bulk purchases for 100 blocks of Briar, I'm pretty buzzed at the notion of getting briar from her, having a hundred blocks would be fantastic, I could make half of them for sale and the other half I would split between pipes for myself and gift pipes, ah man this is so exciting right now.

I thought about you guys across the pond, I wouldn't mind a trade kind of things going down with guys in America, pipe for baccy, that would be awesome, 4noggins would be best for that sort of thing, that would help me immensely, well, just have to see what happens in the future. cheers sunny 
Back to top Go down

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 7:12 pm

I am sure their are consignment sites there that can handle sales -- any number here. Cuts a bit of profit or makes you price higher but it would be a decent interim step. Google has stores also where they handle the transaction. Not sure what their percentage is but it is worth checking.

Make a pipe for yourself sure. But, hold off on gifting until you have a bit of extra bankroll going. That way you can be more generous and help yourself as well.

Trading for tobacco with a reliable guy here would really work out for all.

Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 3:44 am

No worries Buddy, just thinking aloud really, got to get the Briar from Tuscany first, will certainly be using Marco for stems from now on, he's an awesome chap to deal with and a fine gentleman.

Don't worry chap, I have a short list of folks to make gift pipes for and 3 chaps I am making pipes for as a thank you for helping me out, the rest will be another story. I like the idea of doing trades, suits my yearning for older days right down to the ground does that, I know what you mean though, I have been on the rough end of bad trades in the past so will be visiting the Better Business Bureau here when the time comes. Wink
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

BSP - P5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BSP - P5   BSP - P5 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 12:21 pm

A little late on this thread, but Kirk - that's a hell of a good job!  cheers 

There's not a damn thing wrong with that pipe. I've got a couple of bigger-name factory (machine made) pipes that don't look as good. As usual, you're being way too critical of yourself and your talents.

That's a $100 pipe all day long.  Make another one that shape and I'll buy it from you!
Back to top Go down

BSP - P5
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: