HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Generosity from GrampaGrossbart

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mejoshee

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:11 am

No subterfuge this. Straight talking generous offer to send me some samples of tasty bac based on my meager request for some GLP.

He sent me some Black Point, which I am enjoying just this moment in my (Sasieni) Old England billiard and it's delicious! He was also kind enough to send some SG navy flake & black XX rope, Stokkebye LNF, Rattray red raparee, and most exciting of all, Esoterica Stonehaven! cheers cheers cheers 

I'd like to put this in the BBB section, but he would not accept a cent!

We also got to trade a few thoughts on Islay single malts, which I always enjoy discussing! Darn good Monday if ever I had one.

This is what this board is all about and I'm glad to be a part of it! cheers

Last edited by mejoshee on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:04 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : pics)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:39 am

GrandpaGrossBart is a stand up guy, and generous! Congrats on your influx of tobacco goodness!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Generosity from GrandpaGrossbart   Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 pm

That is what this is all about.  The generosity of this group is unmatched.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Good on you and excellent work GG!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 pm

GG's been on a roll lately. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Nice work GG. Cool 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Kudos to you both, enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Poll: I tried the BP already. What should go next? I feel like I should save the SH for a special occasion. Maybe NF or LNF? What do you guys suggest?

I'm about to start my sabbatical next week, so maybe I'll fire up tho SH then? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Hey, glad it all arrived safely, brother--enjoy! And for what it's worth, I say pack up some Stonehaven post haste--every day is a special occasion when you're a puffer. Plus, the sooner you try it the less built up it will be in your mind--it's one of my favorites, and is unique, I think, but it is fairly subtle in the taste department, maybe? Hope you dig it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Well done GG!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Thought I'd give a mini review of SH since I finally tried it last night. Well half a bowl. The other half I'm finishing now.

Let me preface this all by saying I'm not (usually) a huge fan of burley, which is the other half with the VA in this blend.

The tin note (or bag rather) is not in your face. I found I had to sort of huff it to get the scent of dried stone fruit, especially plum and peach. There's some orange blossom honey note to it too, to me anyway. Not so much hay, like FVF. Appearance is a fairly even chocolate brown, mostly broken flake, but I'm not sure if this is just because it was bagged and already handled by GG or if this is how it comes.

First light made me realize why people like it. The  approach of this blend is much more finesse on the open than something like FVF, so that said, I felt I had to think and focus harder on trying to get the nuances without simply getting the smoke and heat of lighting it, if that makes any sense. Definitely do be careful or your lighting method may cause it to overheat and get a little bitter and biting (user error Embarassed). Also probably had a little too moist still. I loaded it as mostly bundled up, since it's not exactly foldable.

First third smoked like a dream. Sweet, smooth VA, with the nutty background of the burley. I smoked it a little over enthusiastically. Let it go slow and you won't get a cigarette ash flavor. It's more of a savory blend, no citrus or sweetness beyond a slight brown sugar to me. Room note is nice and neutral, if a little bit on the ammonia side. I had a slight gurgle in the middle of this, but a pipe cleaner cured that for the rest of the way.

Second third somehow became a little more lively with a cocoa and and bacon quality. I got some dark fruit here, maybe plummy but not really tangy. I let it go out about here to pick it up this morning.

Final third had the most difficulty staying lit. I found some burley bite here, but not offputting. Still mildly brown sugary, with some tea aromas, and getting deeper into the savory territory. I lost the fruit at this point, but the chocolate aspect remained. Mind you all these are quite subtle.

I smoked it down to the bottom with a white gray ash, no dottle to speak of.

All in all, a fine blend. I would have liked it a notch bolder, but I didn't feel like I wanted to be overpowered, so I guess this ok.  GG did tell me it would be subtle, so I kept this in mind the entire time. I also couldn't comment on the effects of aging here.

I think overall, I'm going to stick with FVF (apples and oranges, I know), but I recommend you at least try it if possible. It's definitely worth the price retail if you can get some, but I would have been sorely disappointed if I actually paid $100 for a bag.  A solid 8/10 for me.

Hope this review is helpful! Have a great weekend everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:54 pm

We have a new reviewer worth his tobaccoweed in our midst! Glad I read this, having never tried SH. I'm still fascinated with the Penzance I recently managed to snatch, but this piques my interest. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
We have a new reviewer worth his tobaccoweed in our midst! Glad I read this, having never tried SH. I'm still fascinated with the Penzance I recently managed to snatch, but this piques my interest. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.
No problem! I'm still developing my palate (I'm great with wine, beer, and whisky, though), so sometimes I don't know how good my senses are yet in critical review of pipe tobacco. I'm really just trying to give impressions of things I'd like to have known about with as much detail as possible without otherwise been able to try.

I feel that I'm very fortunate jumping into understanding and trying pipe tobacco these days with the resources on the web, so I'm glad I can give a little back when possible.

Thanks for the kind words! Cheers! Cool 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Generosity from GrampaGrossbart   Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:46 am

Great review, brother, and glad you found it enjoyable! I knew you had a mild burley aversion but am of the mind that so long as the stuff doesn't fry your tongue every time then Stonehaven is a must-try blend. As for the broken flake consistency of it, that's entirely my bad--it comes in deliciously long (if crumbly) flakes, but I jarred half when I scored a bag last month and smoked or gave away most of the rest in record time, and so what I had left to send was a little roughed up.

I usually bounce around between blends, keeping at least a dozen open jars at any one time, but the first two weeks after I opened the SH I smoked little else. Had tried the aged stuff previously, but am strongly in agreement with Blackhorse (and probably others) that it's actually best fresh--it almost becomes too smooth, and loses that tasty treacle note, which is what makes it stand out for me as a blend.

Looks like the 4 oz jar I tucked away is getting cracked sooner than expected! And the other bag sitting in reserve won't be long for this world, either...happy puffing, brosef!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Generosity from GrampaGrossbart
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Community In Action-
Jump to: