HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Be my friend?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:33 am

Due to spending my last dime on tobacco, I've not had the money to spend on a cell phone, but in the end, unless the need for same is business that must be conducted during the course of the day, I can't see the need for one. The only time when I would have benefited was when I worked full time and didn't have my own land line. While the allure of 24/7 internet is significant, but there too my desktop IMAC is more than enough. Finally I don't want to be available by phone all of the time. If I had no phone and needed to get one then I probably would get a cell, but as I have a land line I'm fine. (Another stone-age codger logs in.)
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 74
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:57 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
pepesdad1 wrote:

society moves forward, like it or not.
As long as they move far away from me!cheers 
Exactly!   I go home and lock the gate to my property...world keep out!...and God help the mfer who violates that gate.  50 years of frustration will be unleashed on that unsuspecting poor bastard.  That  was his choice...and I've got mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:59 am

The phone for me has always been a love-hate relationship with emphasis on the latter.  

I remember the pre-Judge Green era of Ma Bell or smoke signals and cheated there for secondary lines by removing ringer circuits.  Well, the Air Force  trained me as a Central Office Repairman so it was easy.  

I ran a BBS back before the Internet and hated the toll charges that included what was called inter-LATA.  Being in the country, you couldn't call just a few miles away without having a toll charge.

When it all fell apart, I have enjoyed screwing telcos as much as humanly possible.  I don't have a land line but have a minutes based provider for $99/yr that covers me fine. It may be a cell phone but it almost never leaves the house.
Back to top Go down
Briarbabe

avatar

Age : 38
Location : PA
Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 am

I have to say I find the direction this thread has taken rather amusing. My point in starting it was to invite those that do use FB to friend me if they wanted. I like people, not sure if you noticed that, they are my oxygen. I enjoy the company of others, whether it's in person or popping in on FB to say hi, or sending a text, a phone call, or ::gasp:: even a letter. I do them all. Of course having said that, this is a forum on the internet and I know how threads have a way of never really going where you think they will, which makes it all the more interesting to read and be a part of in the end.

I find it rather interesting how many people felt the need to rush in and declare that they don't use FB. It's like those people that brag about not owning a TV, as if not owning a TV somehow makes you above those that do. I like social media. I do. I have family and friends, that because of FB I am closer with, than I have ever been or would be without it, due to their distance and location. However, I also like getting out of the stupid house. I like camping and hiking and back before I had kids I used to spend a fair bit of time in the stream with my fly rod. If you want to classify yourself as old fashioned because you don't use social network media, that's fine. I'm old fashioned as well. I grew up spending my weekends with my dad in a log cabin with no electricity (and no indoor plumbing for a good many years). I have a post apocalyptic skill set that would knock your socks off. (When the zombie hoards start, make your way to my place.) I knit and I spin. I love hand knit socks, and yeah, I know you can buy a pack of socks for $10 at Walfart, but...wait for it, here it comes...call me old fashioned, I just like the way my own hand knits wear. They are more durable and far more comfortable.

As for cell phones and other technologies, I love them. I think they are really cool and I'm amazed at how far we've come. Heck, I remember watching Star Trek as a kid and thinking how cool it would be to have one of his communicators. And now I have a smart phone that makes Kirk's communicator look like a brick...granted sometimes it makes my brain feel like a brick. And my Kindle, don't get me wrong, I will never lose my taste for the feel of paper under my finger tips and the smell of books, but it's pretty damn cool to be able to literally take a library with me when I travel. As a writer, I can't even tell you how great a laptop is. My fingers on the keyboard keep up with the speed of my brain much better than pen on paper, and yet there are days when I find that if I'm really stuck with character development or my plot doesn't seem to be moving forward, paper and pen and slowing down do the trick.

It's about options and moderation and choice. And those are all very good things. I'm not saying don't post here if you don't use FB, just flipping the coin to the other side of that particular discussion, since Kyle seems to be the only other person touching on that point. I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:10 am

Briarbabe wrote:
I have to say I find the direction this thread has taken rather amusing. My point in starting it was to invite those that do use FB to friend me if they wanted. I like people, not sure if you noticed that, they are my oxygen. I enjoy the company of others, whether it's in person or popping in on FB to say hi, or sending a text, a phone call, or ::gasp:: even a letter. I do them all. Of course having said that, this is a forum on the internet and I know how threads have a way of never really going where you think they will, which makes it all the more interesting to read and be a part of in the end.

I find it rather interesting how many people felt the need to rush in and declare that they don't use FB. It's like those people that brag about not owning a TV, as if not owning a TV somehow makes you above those that do. I like social media. I do. I have family and friends, that because of FB I am closer with, than I have ever been or would be without it, due to their distance and location. However, I also like getting out of the stupid house. I like camping and hiking and back before I had kids I used to spend a fair bit of time in the stream with my fly rod. If you want to classify yourself as old fashioned because you don't use social network media, that's fine. I'm old fashioned as well. I grew up spending my weekends with my dad in a log cabin with no electricity (and no indoor plumbing for a good many years). I have a post apocalyptic skill set that would knock your socks off. (When the zombie hoards start, make your way to my place.) I knit and I spin. I love hand knit socks, and yeah, I know you can buy a pack of socks for $10 at Walfart, but...wait for it, here it comes...call me old fashioned, I just like the way my own hand knits wear. They are more durable and far more comfortable.

As for cell phones and other technologies, I love them. I think they are really cool and I'm amazed at how far we've come. Heck, I remember watching Star Trek as a kid and thinking how cool it would be to have one of his communicators. And now I have a smart phone that makes Kirk's communicator look like a brick...granted sometimes it makes my brain feel like a brick. And my Kindle, don't get me wrong, I will never lose my taste for the feel of paper under my finger tips and the smell of books, but it's pretty damn cool to be able to literally take a library with me when I travel. As a writer, I can't even tell you how great a laptop is. My fingers on the keyboard keep up with the speed of my brain much better than pen on paper, and yet there are days when I find that if I'm really stuck with character development or my plot doesn't seem to be moving forward, paper and pen and slowing down do the trick.

It's about options and moderation and choice. And those are all very good things. I'm not saying don't post here if you don't use FB, just flipping the coin to the other side of that particular discussion, since Kyle seems to be the only other person touching on that point. I love you
I like the cut of your jib, kid. ;-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 74
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 am

" Be my friend?"    
"I used to spend a fair bit of time in the stream with my fly rod."

That one statement alone...will get you many friends. 

Seriously, while many of us don't use social networks...it is not because we think we are better than someone else...it is just stating a fact...neither positive nor negative.

But like I said before, and it is proving to be right..."It seems like you've always been here".

BB, you are part of us, the BoB spirit is getting stronger and bigger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:47 am

I wasn't bragging, I don't like new fangled gadgets and all that trash that keeps our children's faces stuck to them. I think there an abomination to society and just something more that big brother can use against us. That and there just some marketers idea to make money off us. Take the work and food from Americans and make it in China out of junk with poor craftsmanship and sell it back to the stupid Americans because they'll buy it break it, throw it away and buy another. Not my idea of the American dream.
Granted I use a computer, I built it from junk ones but, without it I would not be able to purchase things I need and want because of were I live and my condition.
Don't mean to sound angry about it but, it does anger me how people are so blind to were this country is going. If none of us bought that junk, can you imagine how much money would be saved in just one year and how wealthier we as Americans would be for it.
American manufactures would have to bring manufacturing back to America or find some other schmuck to buy there junk.


Last edited by Cartaphilus on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Briarbabe

avatar

Age : 38
Location : PA
Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Walt, I'm here out of pure boredom and just tired of talking to myself.
I never tire of talking to myself. I'm the only one who will listen to my nonsense day in and day out. On talking to ones self I defer to my dad who said, "We'll, you've got to have at least one intelligent conversation a day."
Smart man your dad!
I remember someone saying when I mentioned I talk to myself, "Well as long as you don't answer yourself your not nuts!"
I replied, Nuts is talking to yourself and not answering. Whats the purpose otherwise? I made my best decisions talking it over with myself. And yes, sometimes we can argue.
I agree completely, I argue with myself, but for the most part we get along. Smile 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Briarbabe

avatar

Age : 38
Location : PA
Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 am

pepesdad1 wrote:
" Be my friend?"    
"I used to spend a fair bit of time in the stream with my fly rod."

That one statement alone...will get you many friends. 

Seriously, while many of us don't use social networks...it is not because we think we are better than someone else...it is just stating a fact...neither positive nor negative.

But like I said before, and it is proving to be right..."It seems like you've always been here".

BB, you are part of us, the BoB spirit is getting stronger and bigger.
Damn it Walt! You're going to make me cry. tongue 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
millerman

avatar

Age : 41
Location : Dry Fork, VA
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:45 am

Hey Cartaphilus, couldn't have said it better. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:57 am

millerman wrote:
Hey Cartaphilus, couldn't have said it better. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks.
Hey, just being me sir.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:02 am

Jumping in here pretty late, but a few quick thoughts:

1. I find social media useful, to a point. Can't stand Twitter, though. Facebook works well enough for me. I'm sure the people you're friends with on FB make all the difference - in my experience, it's been a good thing. Same goes for most modern tech and social media...just gotta know how to make it "work" for you.

2. Herb Alpert's stuff is fantastic. There was a cheezeball "music video" of A Taste of Honey floating out there somewhere or another that I watched on an almost-daily-basis (maybe on this forum, maybe someone totally different...don't remember).

3. I can only talk to myself for so long before the dog thinks I've lost my mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:17 am

idbowman wrote:


I can only talk to myself for so long before the dog thinks I've lost my mind.
Mine just waits impatiently for his turn to talk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Briarbabe

avatar

Age : 38
Location : PA
Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:29 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
millerman wrote:
Hey Cartaphilus, couldn't have said it better. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks.
Hey, just being me sir.
And that is why we love you, wouldn't want you any other way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 74
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
idbowman wrote:


I can only talk to myself for so long before the dog thinks I've lost my mind.
Mine just waits impatiently for his turn to talk.
Not mine...he just butts right in and takes over the conversation...usually about scratching his back for him...sometimes it is about that steak I promised him and his brother.  Always entertaining, though...hates it when he orders pizza, it is always the meat lovers special...never the veggie one.  That's a dog for ya.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:08 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
idbowman wrote:


I can only talk to myself for so long before the dog thinks I've lost my mind.
Mine just waits impatiently for his turn to talk.
Not mine...he just butts right in and takes over the conversation...usually about scratching his back for him...sometimes it is about that steak I promised him and his brother.  Always entertaining, though...hates it when he orders pizza, it is always the meat lovers special...never the veggie one.  That's a dog for ya.
Spoiled rotten kids eh ah, I mean Dogs!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Cuervo25_1

avatar

Age : 43
Location : North New Jersey
Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Please I been seen with far worse than yourself lol. Heck I may even corrupt you lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

avatar

Age : 43
Location : Oregon
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Be my friend?   Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:05 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Who the hell said you have to be honest in who you are on the Internet?   Laughing 
True! I don't remember my Facebook name... Grav Lee Juan maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
 
Be my friend?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
 Similar topics
-
» Jail Friend Maya Derkovic
» Friend Request in posts
» invite-a-friend-code
» U.S. CONGRESSMAN ACCUSED OF SENDING LEWD PHOTOGRAPH
» Witness Statement Karen McCalman

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: