HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Empty
PostSubject: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 5:42 pm

A friend from this site send me a box of stuff, chunks of wood, old stems, new stems, and a couple of stummels that had been rejected.

One was Briar, the other Olivewood.  The Briar strummel looked like it had been in the dispose-all, the beat on with a hammer and ultimately used as a practice piece for various rustication tools.  Half of the bowl had cracked off to halfway down on one whole side.  In other words...rough baby, really rough.

But being the scrounge that I am, and never throwing anything away, I looked at it and thought that instead of a big plateau piece it might make a trimmed down something...maybe a Prince.  So that's the direction I took.

Ultimately I ended up with pretty much a Prince, which I've been wanting to do for a long time. Something else I've been wanting to do for a long time is an Emerald Green / Black stain.  So now I have.

Name:  Green Raven  (Raven = Celtic for Prince)

Stem: Walker's Briar Works Forever Stem (Limited Edition)

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. DSCN2266_zps8c83441b

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. DSCN2264_zps612b6320

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. DSCN2268_zps677f0750

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. D6bddf10A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. 29400910A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. 114e6110A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Ddb39b10A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Cf77ce10A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Dd692012A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Do we get a before picture?

This is quite a project!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 5:59 pm

That is one good looking pipe!

Jim
Back to top Go down
scotties22

scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 6:32 pm

That came out real nice BH.....real nice cheers  cheers  cheers 
Back to top Go down
http://www.ladybriar.com

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:04 pm

We're all green with envy.
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Really great looking pipe. Given the description of the original condition, doubly so!
Back to top Go down
Jers

Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:21 pm

BH, you are disgustingly talented! Congratulations!cheers cheers

I'm guessing that pipe might get a smoke on St Paddy's day....

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Fr_Tom - A before picture. Sure! I'll get my camera and we can go over to Mr. Peabody's place and get him to warm up the Wayback Machine. No problem. lol

Um, try this: Close your eyes. Now picture a big blocky barenaked block of Briar, squared on all sides with a hole drilled down the center. Now picture yourself taking a pair of pliers, grasping one side at the top in a death grip and giving it a mighty twist, cracking half of it off. Now take it out front and put it on the gravel in front of the truck. Then you get behind the wheel, start 'er up, and drive forward so that one of the front wheels drives over it, mashing it into the gravel. Now go back and forward a few times, just to make sure it's dead. Get out and go over to it. Go ahead, pick it up. Brush off the gravel, twigs, etc. and gaze at your handiwork. Gnarly dude! There you have it! That's what I started with.

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. D6bddf10A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. 29400910A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. 114e6110A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Ddb39b10A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Cf77ce10A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Dd692012A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 8:26 pm

My imagination is working on it.

It is an impressive transformation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
bosun1

bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Nice job, sort of like scoring the winning run in the bottom of the ninth!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:02 pm

BH

That's a very impressive restoration (or should I say Phoenix rising from the ashes).

I'm a fool for green (my favorite color), and don't have any pipes in this yet. Always saw that the green Peterson used eventually turned other colors. So that was a non-starter for me.

This one just runs the bases! Love the Prince style and the color makes me jump up and down!

bounce 

Cheers,

RR

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Purple11x 3A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Bombx10A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Bombx10  A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. D6bddf10 A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. Cowboy13A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Nice save from the trash heap BH. A tasty Irish Aromatic should be the proper break in tobacco, something by Gallaher maybe?cheers 
Back to top Go down
Mozjo33

Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:11 pm

JKenP wrote:
We're all green with envy.
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

Well done BH!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:24 pm

BDude - Green is my world as well. ALWAYS wanted a solid deep emerald green pipe. Now I gots one. 

And ya know, I was pondering while I did this, if the green Petes are turning yellow (which is what they do, especially with high UV exposure) then the BLUE component of the stain is what's going away. Interesting. 

Doc - The bowl is quite small. I'm thinkin' something charming, and yet evil. Like maybe Dark Flake Scented. THAT should raise a few eyebrows. 

Fr_Tom - 

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. H3fie

Back to top Go down
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:56 pm

BH I'm envious of your many talents. Heck, I'd like to have just one of them. From your description of what you started with I'd say this pipe is an amazing transformation. Great work. Cool 

AJ
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Great job BH , that color came out wicked !
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Blackhorse's words of humility : 

AJ...Honestly, there's really nothing amazing about it at all. Anyone that peels an orange, trims the fat off a piece of meat or prunes a tree back to a smaller form is kind of doing the same thing...just removing the excess material off the outside of the form they ultimately want. 

On this thing a lot of the outside was rough or damaged, sure...but that part HAD to come off. There was no design decision in that at all. Easy. Just saw the crap off. The next part is the hard part for me...getting down to the final form. 

I see these videos of guys holding a strummel up to a sanding belt and shaping things in seemingly short order. I guess you'd HAVE to do things pretty fast if you were selling 'em to make a living. But not me. If I did it like that I'd end up with a lopsided lump...every single time. 

I have to approach it with a sharp pencil, a big eraser, a scale (that's a ruler, for the shop nimrods) and a caliper. Looking down into the bowl I start lining up a square pattern around it that will be the outside surface...straight up and down. I make lines on the briar using the straightedge perpendicular to the inside of the bowl. It's like I've got a pineapple and I'm seeing where I have to cut down, taking off the outside curved parts, leaving a tall squared shape. Then I measure about a hundred times to get it laid out so that I take off the four outside corners, so that I'm looking down on a perfect eight sided figure. Then I take a heavy paper circle the same diameter, lay it down and trace the circle onto what will be the rim...and use that as a guide, top and bottom, to start hand filing the eight ridges into each other, ending in a cylinder. 

It goes from there. The top can be narrowed to get an apple or whatever. The whole layout can be canted forward for a Zulu, tapered severely to get a volcano, etc. My point is that anyone can do this. It's a matter of being methodical...of having a method, going through the steps, etc. That, and the fact that I'm really quite bad at it, but can do it if I approach it in the proper manner. It takes a LOT of time the first few trials...then it goes faster, and easier...more intuitive eventually. 

So now you know the truth. I'm not so much a good artist...I'm just one who is willing to spend the time and effort to be somewhat meticulous, even though it's very, very foreign to my nature. Why? (And that really is the big question.) Because I just love holding that thing (pipe, knife, pendant, cane, billy club, whatever) up after I'm done. Got rewarded for it as a kid I guess...and I have a totally visual approach to the world...and maybe I'm wired toward it in other ways as well. It feels good.

Sorry that took so long. I get carried away.

Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:21 am

Blackhorse wrote:
BDude - Green is my world as well. ALWAYS wanted a solid deep emerald green pipe. Now I gots one. 

And ya know, I was pondering while I did this, if the green Petes are turning yellow (which is what they do, especially with high UV exposure) then the BLUE component of the stain is what's going away. Interesting. 

Doc - The bowl is quite small. I'm thinkin' something charming, and yet evil. Like maybe Dark Flake Scented. THAT should raise a few eyebrows. 
I was thinking Irish Flake. Very Happy 

Nice job Dave.

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 10:07 am

t.a. - while I enjoy a variety of blends containing more or less Dark Fired Kentucky, I've never been able to really embrace Irish Flake. 

Kind of each and every one of you that commented. I appreciate your positive words very much. 

While I am very pleased in the way the dye colors turned out that whole arena is a real crap shoot. I hope it stays just like it is, but if not I have more sandpaper and other dyes. lol

I think a lot of the overall look and feel of the thing goes to the cool stem made at Walkers. I went back to order another of the Forever Stem "Ltd. Ed." stems as I robbed this from one of my other briars...and couldn't find them on the site any longer. I would like to get a different stem, same green swirl collar, but another 1/2" to 1" in length and with that very slight Prince bend...rather akin to a Bing. There are times when a very slight difference in dimension makes a huge change. 

But anyway, the two greens were very obviously made for each other, eh? But it needs the black stem as well to set the colors off, don't you think? 

Anyway...Who would ever guess that Higgins Green Waterproof India Ink, made for calligraphy, would produce such a lovely strength of color? 

Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Drop dead gorgeous.....Blackhorse, you've done it again.
Back to top Go down
somedumbjerk

somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 11:43 pm

DF scented.... yum... yeah that'll do. maybe some dark kendall to break it in first. or birdseye. been really into the G&Hco lately. man they make good stuff.

good rescue sir! seems you have a thing for the green!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:31 am

sdj - I think somewhere I said my choice would be Gawith & Hogarth Dark Flake Scented. Now that's some stinky heaven.

Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 7:51 am

Beautiful pipe, BH. I'm not ordinarily a big fan of green, but that one looks great!
Back to top Go down
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 1:30 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Fr_Tom - A before picture. Sure! I'll get my camera and we can go over to Mr. Peabody's place and get him to warm up the Wayback Machine. No problem. lol

Um, try this: Close your eyes. Now picture a big blocky barenaked block of Briar, squared on all sides with a hole drilled down the center. Now picture yourself taking a pair of pliers, grasping one side at the top in a death grip and giving it a mighty twist, cracking half of it off. Now take it out front and put it on the gravel in front of the truck. Then you get behind the wheel, start 'er up, and drive forward so that one of the front wheels drives over it, mashing it into the gravel. Now go back and forward a few times, just to make sure it's dead. Get out and go over to it. Go ahead, pick it up. Brush off the gravel, twigs, etc. and gaze at your handiwork. Gnarly dude! There you have it! That's what I started with.
I'm pleased to have a hand in this, but I feel a little roughed up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.   A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster. EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 1:37 am

And I'm here ta tell ya...brushin' off gravel ain't easy!

Back to top Go down

A rescue pipe from another maker's dumpster.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: