HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Starting pipe #22

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

Starting pipe #22 Empty
PostSubject: Starting pipe #22   Starting pipe #22 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Mother Nature wasn't very nice to this piece of plateaux briar.  We'll see how it turns out...

Starting pipe #22 Img_1410

Starting pipe #22 Img_1411

Starting pipe #22 Img_1412
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

Starting pipe #22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting pipe #22   Starting pipe #22 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Wow those are some impressive pits! I however find flaws like that if they don't cause structural problems to be kind of charming. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Draagha

Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

Starting pipe #22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting pipe #22   Starting pipe #22 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 8:09 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Wow those are some impressive pits! I however find flaws like that if they don't cause structural problems to be kind of charming. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Jim
Agreed, I think it makes it distinguished.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Starting pipe #22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting pipe #22   Starting pipe #22 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Looks like a good candidate for sandblasting or rustification? Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

Starting pipe #22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting pipe #22   Starting pipe #22 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 8:48 pm

No chance of sanding through those bad boys!  Never tried rusticating a pipe before.  I'll have enough trouble keeping the diamond shape on the shank how I want it.  Don't want to chance ruining the pipe experimenting with rustication.  Partial to smooth pipes myself anyway.  Some day though!
Back to top Go down
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

Starting pipe #22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting pipe #22   Starting pipe #22 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 pm

When you get through with the carving and shaping just sand it smooth, stain it, wax and buff it to a glorious shine. People pay cabinet makers big bucks to cut gashes and to drive little nails in and then remove them from their fine furniture to replicate wood that's been eaten by worms. You'll have a pipe that looks like it's made from worm eaten wood. I think that will be awesome. Cool 

AJ
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

Starting pipe #22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting pipe #22   Starting pipe #22 EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 2:36 am

Heart breaking to find so many flaws in an otherwise nice block of Briar isn't it, I'd clean out the pits and make a mix of Elmers carpenter glue and Briar dust to fill them, the mix will set harder than stone chap and will take stain very well. It's going to be a stunning pipe when you have finished it, I look forward to seeing your progress. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

Starting pipe #22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting pipe #22   Starting pipe #22 EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 4:45 am

Hopefully they're small ones and not a prelude to the Grand Canyon of pipe flaws.

I've run into 'em myself on the few jokes I've carved, and it's downright depressing.

Then again, the artist and craftsman is tested by such hiccups... make something awesome out of it if the structure seems solid!

Cool
Back to top Go down

Starting pipe #22
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: