HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Nicotine hangover?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:15 am

Is there such a thing as a nicotine hangover? So I stayed up until 2:30 last night chatting with my best friend. He and I have a history of talking until the wee hours of the morning, scotch in hand sometimes (not last night though), visiting, reading poetry to each other, bitching about politics, doing lists like: movies where the sequel was better than the original, movies that were better than the book, historical figures you'd like to bang, etc. There was even a Broadway sing-a-long one night that ended at 4:00 a.m. when my teenage daughter came upstairs to say, "Hey! You are really loud! Go to bed!" right when I was in the middle of "Just You Wait" from My Fair Lady.

Anyway, last night I decided to smoke while we were chatting and we were on the phone for a while and I wasn't really paying attention to how many bowls I smoked, I think about three in succession. I woke up this morning feeling like I had a hangover, but I didn't drink anything. What the heck? Can you have a nicotine hangover? I normally smoke one bowl a day if I smoke at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:23 am

Stayed up way late. Not the best this morning. Humm?

Nicotine?

Doubt it.

34?

Welcome to the approach to... No I won't say the terrifying phrase. Aww, hell, middle age.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 am

I have problems keeping my sugar up (don't eat but one meal a day) and I haven't had a drop to drink in years but, if I were to stay up later or over indulge myself in an activity I'll have hangover symptoms and get migraines that would kill a mule. Maybe your sugar dropped from doing more then your body had enough energy to do. I also find that if I haven't ate much or been busy a cup of coffee will drop my sugar like a rock. I think nicotine may have the same affect in dropping sugar. If I smoke Dunhill Elizabethan before eating I get real weak and the nic hits me like a kick in the head but, if I've eaten, no problems. Just my observations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Briarbabe

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:08 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
I have problems keeping my sugar up (don't eat but one meal a day) and I haven't had a drop to drink in years but, if I were to stay up later or over indulge myself in an activity I'll have hangover symptoms and get migraines that would kill a mule. Maybe your sugar dropped from doing more then your body had enough energy to do. I also find that if I haven't ate much or been busy a cup of coffee will drop my sugar like a rock. I think nicotine may have the same affect in dropping sugar. If I smoke Dunhill Elizabethan before eating I get real weak and the nic hits me like a kick in the head but, if I've eaten, no problems. Just my observations.
d

That could very well be it. I had a really light dinner and we didn't start chatting until midnight.
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 am

Briarbabe wrote:
What the heck? Can you have a nicotine hangover?
I had a friend who would swear he would get a nicotine hangover if he smoked a cigar. I don't think I have ever experienced such a thing, but we are all different.

Three bowls after supper would mean I was cutting back probably, so maybe I have developed a tolerance to it. I am with Ken on this one. I claim the lack of sleep may have been a factor. I won't comment on the middle age thing. Just having a teen is responsible for a headache every now and then in my experience. Things are complex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 am

I feel that way after I take a drag off a ciggy. And it lasts for days......full stomach, empty stomach....doesn't matter. I am CRAZY sensative to lady N and she is really good at kicking my ass. I have to be really really careful what bacs and cigars I smoke or am even around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 am

Briarbabe wrote:
Is there such a thing as a nicotine hangover?  So I stayed up until 2:30 last night chatting with my best friend. He and I have a history of talking until the wee hours of the morning, scotch in hand sometimes (not last night though), visiting, reading poetry to each other, bitching about politics, doing lists like:  movies where the sequel was better than the original, movies that were better than the book, historical figures you'd like to bang, etc. There was even a Broadway sing-a-long one night that ended at 4:00 a.m. when my teenage daughter came upstairs to say, "Hey! You are really loud! Go to bed!" right when I was in the middle of "Just You Wait" from My Fair Lady.

Anyway, last night I decided to smoke while we were chatting and we were on the phone for a while and I wasn't really paying attention to how many bowls I smoked, I think about three in succession. I woke up this morning feeling like I had a hangover, but I didn't drink anything. What the heck? Can you have a nicotine hangover? I normally smoke one bowl a day if I smoke at all.
Being a type 2 Diabetic for the last 30 years, your symptoms are NOT those of a hypoglycemic reaction ( low blood sugar) but since you smoked MORE than you do normally and depending on what type of blend I would have to say that you probably got a bit of a Nicotine "hangover" as you have put it, You might want to try having some food in-between bowls the next time you do something like this. Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Having lifelong issue with hypoglycemia myself, I'm taking pages from both what Cart and Mon said.

Low blood-sugar (empty stomach) can intensify nicotine effects, especially if your system isn't used to it.   Nicotine is water-soluble, also make sure you aren't dehydrated, overheated or combining any of the above with alcohol (which tends to dehydrate one's system) while you are smoking.

I've had a nicotine hangover, thanks to thinking I was bigger than Jackknife Plug.  Big mistake.   Swimmy-head, upset stomach and lethargy for the following 24 hours.   Lighter instances produce a headache...had one yesterday, as a matter 'o fact.   It happens.

Oddly, "hair of the dog" works here, too, I've learned.  Laughing  Sometimes.  

If you find it's a constant problem, switch to smaller bowls or lighter tobacco for a while.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Dehydration would have been my guess as well. I have a good buddy that is a triathlete (read: he keeps up with what seems to be healthier for you in general) and he offered a good bit of advice when you aren't feeling 100%, and aren't sure of the cause: drink a big glass of water.

No matter the cause, you need the water.

I feel like telling this story because it makes me laugh:

Nothing like a late night trip to White Castle to cap off a night of drinking, but it never did anything to "soak it up" or prevent a hangover. My last trip to WC, however, was when I was dead sober, but just had a craving. I woke up the next day with all the tell tale symptoms of a night out with the boys, with out the fun time. I now question every trip I ever made to White Castle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Ummmmm, sliders!

There is a TakeHomeASack with my name on it.

I can remember when they were 8-cents.
Back to top Go down
whitepony1986

Registration date : 2013-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 pm

not so muh a nicotine hangover but you can nic overdose i have a few times using electronic cigarette mods...you will get dizzy and feel nautious even start sweating
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael drue

Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi folks!

I had an hangover. i smoked 1792 at that time and i smoked it in a medium sized bowl.
i puffed to fast,i really like the flavor of it and at first you dont feel it.
After half way through the bowl i was getting tired,the room started to spin arround!
i had a feeling like that i drank a half bootle of strong liquer.my body told me at that time i want to through up.
but i couldnt... i went to bet very tired,my heart was racing,i could her each beat,stomach was upset.
somehow during the night i fell into sleep. The next morning i was fine. but from that time on i didnt smoked anymore this bacci....

i dont wana have it ever again.....pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Hello, My name is Cartaphilus and.....I'm a pipeaholic.........Embarassed Sad
Back to top Go down
Briarbabe

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
There are much worse things you could be my dear.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Briarbabe wrote:
Is there such a thing as a nicotine hangover?
Personally, I would say yes. I have definitely suffered some ill effects from smoking too much the day before. Nothing too dreadful, more of a feeling that I would categorize as somewhere between exhausted and slightly tired and definitely not in the mood to accomplish much. Kind of a general feeling of malaise. It was enough to teach me a lesson about a few tobaccos I enjoy, but not enough to completely ward me off of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
lol! lol! lol! 

I can relate!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
APKurt

Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:11 pm

I have felt a bit of what I thought was a "nicotine hangover" when I have been up late smoking cigars with friends. However, I think it probably had more to do with the scotch I was drinking and the lack of hydration that ensued than the nicotine. This is especially true since smoking has been shown to make alcohol hangovers worse. I think I tended to associate that feeling with the nicotine because I still had the tobacco smell on my person in the morning. I had a similar feeling the morning after smoking some particularly strong pipe tobacco (for me... I tend to be a bit of a lightweight) a few weeks ago but I noticed that I was also very thirsty. I drank nearly a gallon of water before lunch and felt 100% better. So dehydration or booze is likely a bigger factor than the nicotine itself in my limited experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Alcohol/Booze will dehydrate you, hence the thirst. The more you drink the worse.
Back to top Go down
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:27 pm

don't blame the arrow, blame the indian.

It's neither the booze nor the nicotine that makes you feel like crap, it's the fact that I CHOSE to have half the bottle and smoke a MM General top to bottom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:31 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
don't blame the arrow, blame the indian.

It's neither the booze nor the nicotine that makes you feel like crap, it's the fact that I CHOSE to have half the bottle and smoke a MM General top to bottom.

I reckon if people could drink responsibly and not drink just to get drunk it be a different matter but, that doesn't change the way alcohol dehydrates you.
Back to top Go down
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:

I reckon if people could drink responsibly and not drink just to get drunk it be a different matter but, that doesn't change the way alcohol dehydrates you.

I don't disagree cart: we are both just saying its hard to dehydrate yourself with just two fingers of kentucky's finest. Your liver at 21 is different than yours at 31, and drinking like I did in college is a weekend ruin-er these days. Learning limits comes with experience and common sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine hangover?   Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 am

jefe1037 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

I don't disagree cart: we are both just saying its hard to dehydrate yourself with just two fingers of kentucky's finest. Your liver at 21 is different than yours at 31, and drinking like I did in college is a weekend ruin-er these days. Learning   limits comes with experience and common sense.

Agreed  Wink 
Back to top Go down

Nicotine hangover?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: