HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:55 am

This pipe belongs to forum member herbindave.  He sends me pipes occasionally to clean up and they are always interesting pieces.  This week I received a Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro Shape 625 to restore.  The pipe was in pretty good shape, with only some tars/scorching on the rim and a lightly oxidized stem with teeth chatter.  

I know very little about Savinelli pipes, but this one has a special look and feel to it.  I learned the Giubileo D'Oro line is pretty rare, from a Savinelli seller:

Giubileo D'Oro means Golden Jubilee. This is the highest grade pipe available from Savinelli. Only one in a thousand bowls are good enough to produce a Giubileo D'Oro
They are graded by stars, the higher the star the better the grain.
All bowls are completely flawless, these are the best of the best that Savinelli has to offer.

This one doesn't have any stars, and is just stamped 625 KS.  The bowl has a nice mix of birdeye and cross-grain.

I was anxious to start working on the pipe and I forgot to take any before pictures!

I was able to remove nearly all of the scorching with some high grade micromesh.  "Yak" recently gave me some good advice to use the micromesh versus buffing to retain nomenclature better (thanks!).  The bowl was buffed very lightly with white diamond and avoiding the nomenclature.  Then several coats of carnuba wax was applied.  I reamed and soaked the pipe for Dave.  The shank and draft hole was in really clean condition, so Dave should have a very pleasant smoke.  

The stem required 1500 and then 2000 grades of wet paper, than 8000 and 12000 grades of micromesh, followed by a light buff with white diamond and then plastic polish.  I love the three brass dot stem logo.  The teeth chatter came off the top of the stem, but there is one pin prick beneath that I left.  

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 am

Getting awfully professional about it all, Al. Next step is a pipe detailing website with pricing quotes.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:59 am

JKenP wrote:
Getting awfully professional about it all, Al.  Next step is a pipe detailing website with pricing quotes.
Thanks! But I think that I would have two add stemwork (replacement) to the repertoire to be successful with that endeavor. But, in the meantime I'm having fun. Dave and I share similar tastes in pipes, so it's always interesting to see and work on his new pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks so much for a wonderful job cleaning this beauty up. You do a very professional job Al!Smile 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:23 pm

I disagree, Al. I think there is a boutique business there. I've seen your work. I think the fee you could charge would add far more value to a lot of pipe than the cost involved. I'm think of better pipes that get bought far more cheaply than a mint version because of teeth marks or some other condition issues. Not everybody exhibits the skill you offer. I don't think it'd let you quit the day job Smile but it would let you bulk out shop tools doing something you obviously enjoy. And, remember, replacement stems are a big negative with many.
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:55 pm

JKenP wrote:
I disagree, Al.  I think there is a boutique business there.  I've seen your work.  I think the fee you could charge would add far more value to a lot of pipe than the cost involved.  I'm think of better pipes that get bought far more cheaply than a mint version because of teeth marks or some other condition issues.  Not everybody exhibits the skill you offer.  I don't think it'd let you quit the day job :)but it would let you bulk out shop tools doing something you obviously enjoy.  And, remember, replacement stems are a big negative with many.
I would have to agree.  While Walker offers a replacement reproduction of certain classics...what you offer is working with the original stem and then build on that.  A definite boutique business in my opinion...cides...what you got to lose?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:15 pm

EXCELLENT REFURB!! The Guibileo D'Oeo series are some of the NICEST pipes you'll find, Equal if not at times BETTER than many Dunhills. I have 3 of them and they are some of the BEST smoking pipes I own !! I've had 'em for over 30 years now and they don't look as pristine as that one, but they smoke BEAUTIFULLY  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil They were, and still are, some of the BEST Savinelli makes Razz 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:56 pm

monbla256 wrote:
EXCELLENT REFURB!! The Guibileo D'Oeo series are some of the NICEST pipes you'll find, Equal if not at times BETTER than many Dunhills. I have 3 of them and they are some of the BEST smoking pipes I own !! I've had 'em for over 30 years now and they don't look as pristine as that one, but they smoke BEAUTIFULLY  Twisted Evil  :twisted:They were, and still are, some of the BEST Savinelli makes  Razz 
Right on there Monbla. Those are the highest grade of standard shaped pipes made by Savinelli. They are expensive pipes for sure but are incredible treasures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks guys, I do enjoy working on Dave's pipes, he has good tastes!

I'm happy to be a hobbyist restorer for now. I've only been doing this for three years and I still have a lot to learn about this hobby/passion.

Sadly, now because of Dave, I had to add a Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro 320KS to my "Holy Grail" list...!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Sadly, now because of Dave, I had to add a Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro 320KS to my "Holy Grail" list...!

Al you have pretty good luck on holy grail pipes!!!  But, I will be in on the hunt for this one with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro   Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:17 am

herbinedave wrote:

Al you have pretty good luck on holy grail pipes!!!  But, I will be in on the hunt for this one with you.
Thanks, you have a knack as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Savinelli Guibileo D'Oro
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: