HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A game for Kyle...or anyone else who likes puzzles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: A game for Kyle...or anyone else who likes puzzles   Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: A game for Kyle...or anyone else who likes puzzles   Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:06 pm

That's neat! Perfect for someone like me--having great ideas, no real education. Laughing

Seriously! Thanks!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A game for Kyle...or anyone else who likes puzzles   Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:58 pm

The real genius is in reconfiguring the problem to be solved in a way that enables people who have no specific expertise (and therefore no preconceptions about what is or isn't possible) to manipulate it that is, to PLAY with it from perspectives that those who know too much about it can't see.

It's the thing that mathematical biologist Robert Rosen called "the well-posed question" the ability to ask a question that is stated with sufficiently clarity to enable who can think clearly and precisely from the proper perspective can see the solution. And sometimes frequently, in fact "the proper perspective" is one that transcends what those who consider themselves "experts" can see.

There is a quotation often attributed to Albert Einstein (although I haven't found any evidence that he actually ever said it in exactly this way):
    "We cannot solve our problems on the same level of thinking that created them."
Apparently that's part of what happens with the Fold It project...it opens the problems up to new levels of thinking.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A game for Kyle...or anyone else who likes puzzles   Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:13 pm

I played the game for about six hours last night. Admittedly, I don't know what I'm doing, and even to the point I have trouble following directions, I'm kind of making it up as I go along. Part of the game is very "manual" and almost impossible to control, and the other part is very automatic, with certain clicky-type tools that force things into place.

It's unlike anything I've ever experienced, for better or worse. If I keep at it, I'm either going to get an email that says "Stop trying, please, you're screwing it all up," or "You must be a brilliant moron, because you cured every disease ever."

Betting on the former. I think I made a protein cluster that causes skin to melt off in seconds. pale

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A game for Kyle...or anyone else who likes puzzles   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Kyle, does this help?
http://www.wimp.com/zipbags/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A game for Kyle...or anyone else who likes puzzles   Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Kinda. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A game for Kyle...or anyone else who likes puzzles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1